• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail loco hauls reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Didn't see a thread on this. From today the fife circle loco haul services have been reduced to just one in the morning and evening now. The 07:36 Cardenden to Edinburgh remains a slammer, while the 06:33 full circle has reverted to a single class 170.

In the evening the 17:08 full circle remains a slammer while the 17:21 Cardenden has now reverted to 2 x 158s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eng274

I wonder what effect this has on 158/170 availability. On an unrelated subject, I've noticed that the 156 requirement has gone up by one unit, the 380/0 has gone from 5 spare to 2/3 spare.

Should alleviate having to rely on DBS to provide enough locos (which they've failed to do twice in the last couple of weeks) and reduce the likelihood of subsequent cancellations.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I wonder what effect this has on 158/170 availability. On an unrelated subject, I've noticed that the 156 requirement has gone up by one unit, the 380/0 has gone from 5 spare to 2/3 spare.

Should alleviate having to rely on DBS to provide enough locos (which they've failed to do twice in the last couple of weeks) and reduce the likelihood of subsequent cancellations.

I think that as the damaged units return to traffic the need for the locos reduce. Personally I'd have kept them on but run them on heavily loaded services like Aberdeen's a single 170 struggle to cope on these. I think they will be back in service though. A lot of failures occurring just now. 5 or 6 today alone.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think that as the damaged units return to traffic the need for the locos reduce. Personally I'd have kept them on but run them on heavily loaded services like Aberdeen's a single 170 struggle to cope on these. I think they will be back in service though. A lot of failures occurring just now. 5 or 6 today alone.

id say Invernesses more like - even the bus is prefferable to a wedged 170 trying to get up the HML. Mind that morning circle going to be fun now, when I bashed it with the loco it was weddged from dunfermline so what a 3 car 170 will be like dont bare thinking about

Scotrail84

Established Member
id say Invernesses more like - even the bus is prefferable to a wedged 170 trying to get up the HML. Mind that morning circle going to be fun now, when I bashed it with the loco it was weddged from dunfermline so what a 3 car 170 will be like dont bare thinking about

Yes I think the morning 170 will be mobbed. The loco hauls would work well on both the Aberdeen and Inverness mainlines, especially in the summer.

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance, what is a slammer?

Basically a door that is manually operated - there is a handle on the outside that you turn to open the door, then 'slam' shut. Often in the UK passengers are so used to travelling on trains with push buttons that they do not know how to open the doors on such trains.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Basically a door that is manually operated - there is a handle on the outside that you turn to open the door, then 'slam' shut. Often in the UK passengers are so used to travelling on trains with push buttons that they do not know how to open the doors on such trains.

Bloody hell - I WAS RAISED ON SLAMMERS. Mark 1s, Mark 2s, Mark 3s even.

Callum

Talking of slamming doors, I remember the first time I travelled on a HST (GNER from Aberdeen to Stonehaven) my Mother nearly flew into a blind panic because there wasn't a button to open the door, doubtless she had visions of being stuck on board all the way to London. She admitted to feeling quite embarrassed after her son (me) put his arm out the window, and VOILA! One open door. Hehe.

But in response to ScotRail's current situation re stock shortages, I have noticed many, many daily tweets from them apologising for certain trains running as 3 instead of 6, or 2 instead of 4 etc... Are they just having a spell of bad luck at the moment, or is there something more serious occurring?

hooky3

could be because a number of units are being repainted/refurbished at the moment, it is also strange that Scotrail have decided to take units off other services to cover for the loco-haul deduction, they would have been better running 2 and I dont see why they have taken away one

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Which supprises me, considering a few of FSRs 158s could be about to go on a Summer Holiday down to suppliment FGWs 158s this summer going by what ive heard.

I cannot see that happening mate, already short of units. You sure it's not FGW units coming up here??

michael769

Established Member
No way Transport Scotland will allow sets to go South when we are having trouble running enough as it is!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No way Transport Scotland will allow sets to go South when we are having trouble running enough as it is!

They may not have a choice, I seem to recall it being said somewhere or other that former BR units remain the preserve of the DfT not TS. That being said I doubt units will be moving between either Scotrail or FGW as both need all the 158s they have!

michael769

Established Member
I seem to recall it being said somewhere or other that former BR units remain the preserve of the DfT not TS.

While that may be true I cannot see the DfT having much appetite for creating another dispute with TS.

LadyDeltic

Being a regular user of morning Fife Circle services on 170s, I can confirm your worst fears. :p

Scotrail84

Established Member
Being a regular user of morning Fife Circle services on 170s, I can confirm your worst fears. :p

If passengers write in to scotrail about the units being under strength they may bring back the lock hauls a to ease overcrowding??

Blindtraveler

Established Member
email duly sent - I stopped comuting from Fife a few years back but have not forgotten. I think I'd rather use LU every day than a full and standing 170. The 158s are better, all that space near the bogs although I know that doesnt make it easy for staff

Scotrail84

Established Member
Or just shuffle things around and swap the diagram with a 2x 158.

There are not any spare 158s that's the problem, already some services are short formed and that's not including any failures that may occur after the start of service. 703 already a failure this morning, so unless they step up, or can source another unit that's a whole diagram goosed.

Scotrail84

Established Member
email duly sent - I stopped comuting from Fife a few years back but have not forgotten. I think I'd rather use LU every day than a full and standing 170. The 158s are better, all that space near the bogs although I know that doesnt make it easy for staff

Transport Scotland funded the loco hauls so they call the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.