• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail must-haves

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm taking advantage of the ScotRail offer on the weekend of 11/12 May, stopping overnight Friday and Saturday, and possibly Sunday in Scotland. What lines must I do on those days? I know there's the Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig lines, but I'd love some advice on which I must do as it's really hard to get an itinerary to fit in all in!

I'm travelling up from Manchester Friday night, and will be starting bright and early Saturday morning in Glasgow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
The Far North line is fairly bleak, scenery wise. Kyle and the West Highland would be my recommendations.

If you are still around on the Monday morning then you can do a 68 over the Forth Bridge.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm taking advantage of the ScotRail offer on the weekend of 11/12 May, stopping overnight Friday and Saturday, and possibly Sunday in Scotland. What lines must I do on those days? I know there's the Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig lines, but I'd love some advice on which I must do as it's really hard to get an itinerary to fit in all in!

I'm travelling up from Manchester Friday night, and will be starting bright and early Saturday morning in Glasgow.

My favourites from photos, videos and experience:

Stranraer line - surprisingly underrated
Highland Mainline - very scenic
Scottish Central (Stirling to Perth)- quite scenic north of Dunblane
Kyle line
West Highland
Perhaps one of the Ayrshire/Inverclyde coastal lines, the Largs line is quite nice on the section hugging the coast running into Largs.

d9009alycidon

On the last point, it is possible to go to Largs, pick up a local bus (very frequent) to Weymss Bay and return to Glasgow by that route

hexagon789

Veteran Member
On the last point, it is possible to go to Largs, pick up a local bus (very frequent) to Weymss Bay and return to Glasgow by that route

I've done it the opposite way around, the bus through Wemyss Bay to Largs used to leave the stop outside Wemyss Bay station within about 10 mins of the arrival of the train.

The bus journey along the coast to Largs is also quite nice!

gnolife

Established Member
What I'd suggest doing is staying overnight in Inverness on the Saturday night. This will allow you to take the one train a day into Kyle. You can take your pick on the Saturday daytime between a trip to a stop no further than Roy Bridge on the Mallaig portion or you can go all the way to Oban on the Oban portion of the 08:22. This will put you back at Queen Street at 15:15, with plenty of daylight for the trip up to Inverness.

Struner

In full ignorance of the timetabling o_O - I would suggest: Glasgow-Mallaig - Ferry Armadale & bus to Kyle - Kyle-Inverness-Glasgow
Anyway, whichever way you go: Enjoy!

_toommm_

Established Member
So, I think I've got an itinerary:

Friday (evening):
23:50 Crewe to Fort William (Cally Sleeper)

Saturday:
10:15 Fort William to Mallaig (Jacobite)
13:30 ferry to Armadale
14:15 52 bus to Armadale Road End
16:03 916 bus to Kyle of Lochalsh
17:13 Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness

Sunday:
09:59 Inverness to Inverurie
12:00 Inverurie to Dyce (Replacement Bus :()
12:41 Dyce to Aberdeen
13:32 Aberdeen to Glasgow
17:15 Glasgow to Manchester Pic

Struner

So be awake on the sleeper from 7:00, to enjoy the scenery!
& why won't you go back by the HML & have lunch on the Strathspey Railway on your way.
If you do want to go back via Aberdeen you should take in the Tay & Forth bridges as well.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's a lot of travelling involved, on some very long days, which might cause some high levels of tiredness. Certainly by the time you get back to Manchester you'll be glad to see your own bed!

_toommm_

Established Member
That's a lot of travelling involved, on some very long days, which might cause some high levels of tiredness. Certainly by the time you get back to Manchester you'll be glad to see your own bed!

I very rarely get weekends or long periods of time off, so its always a struggle for me to do a solid few days of travel.

Most of my shifts are 11/12 hour shifts, and indeed I'm working an 8-8 before getting on the sleeper :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jeepers, you'll be exhausted on the sleeper then! Ouch to 12 hour shifts, I normally do 6 hours and occasionally 9, with 5am starts, which is bad enough!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Make sure you book the Jacobite before hand as there normally is only a limited number of pay on the day tickets available.

Romilly

Established Member
On the Saturday, and especially if it's raining, I would change buses in Broadford rather than stand around in the hamlet of Skulamus (located at Armadale road end) for an hour or more. And, either way, if it were me I'd pre-book the 916 citylink coach, just in case.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
On the Saturday, and especially if it's raining, I would change buses in Broadford rather than stand around in the hamlet of Skulamus (located at Armadale road end) for an hour or more. And, either way, if it were me I'd pre-book the 916 citylink coach, just in case.

How far is Broadford away from the road end?

Status
Not open for further replies.