Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Altnabreac, 21 Dec 2015.

1. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

There were several different threads I could have posted this on but as it covered multiple different stock types it seemed best to create a new thread.

Here is the news story from TRansport Scotland

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk...in-improvement-programme#sthash.rxGX7JS8.dpuf

A couple of new bits of information here as well as retreading some old ground.

• 321s now coming in early 2016 rather than December 2015.
    • AT200s starting operation in Autumn 2017
    • Updated timescales for the 318 refurbishment

Interesting information about the power socket installations being separate from the refurbishment programme. This makes sense as there is a commitment to install sockets on all other train classes including the "refreshed" 156s and the 170s that are not receiving a refurbishment. Not sure if this will be done in house or through a separate contract once they have a bit more spare stock to enable more withdrawals.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

Second half of 2018 for HSTs. Has that slipped or was it always going to be then?

4. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

That has always been the planned introduction period: Sets 1 and 2 to be accepted during June 2018, through to the final sets being accepted by Scotrail in December 2018.

5. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

Any pictures of the refurbed 318?

6. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Last edited: 22 Dec 2015
  7. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

That's the one. Given they refurbished 4 trains in 2014 and 5 in 2015 and there are 12 left to be completed in 2016 that suggests they are going to have to take more out of service in 2016 so the newly arrived 321/320s will be useful to allow more 318s to go down to Doncaster.

8. cf111

cf111 Established Member

The 158 I was on last night, and this was one of the previously refurbished Inverness units, looked and sounded about ready for the cutter's torch. I understand the current pressures on the fleet but hopefully it won't be too long until they're in a better position.

9. thetangoman

thetangoman Member

Are the interiors of the 320's getting a refurb because boy do they look tired now and the SPT colours look so out of place with the Saltire exteriors

10. Carntyne

Carntyne Member

The 320's aren't due a new interior at the moment. They've just went through getting the loo fitted and a repaint.

11. Strathclyder

Strathclyder Established Member

The 320's SPT interior was reupholstered/given a light refresh during that same refurb, I believe. There's two Saltire flip-down seats in the wheelchair area near the new disabled loo, though.

The 320s aren't the only EMUs in the Scotrail fleet with conflicting exteriors/interiors. 11 314s (201-202/205-207/209-210/213-216) still retain their defunct SPT Carmine & Cream livery, whilst sporting a fully refurbished Saltire interior. It was probably decided that repainting the entire fleet would be a waste of money (5 units received the Spotrail livery), given that they're most likely to be withdrawn completely by 2020.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2015
  12. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

Apologies for bringing up an old thread but this one is the most relevant for this.

318268 arrived at Doncaster this evening for its overhaul and relivery, meaning that there are now no Class 318s in the Carmine and Cream livery in service.

Won't be too long before the livery is gone completely.

13. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

Looks like the few 314s to retain the SPT livery will carry the batten on until they are eventually replaced in the next year or two.

14. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

The 320s will do that too in a sense, until they start getting the interior refresh from October at least.

15. Clansman

You could say the 170470 and 170471 will probably last the longest in SPT interior colours, in addition to the 320s.

16. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Along with some of the former SPT 156s as well. The unit I had today was virtually in complete SPT condition, with only the vestibule door and posters being the only items with the ScotRail branding.

They were pretty quick moving 318268 down south, I passed that in service the other day. Should have grabbed a picture of it now!

17. fgwrich

Probably the best thread for it, but I finally managed to catch up with 158731 earlier and well oh dear, it's a little underwhelming. The walls have been repainted, new standard scotrail carpets and plug sockets throughout, Inverness style extra luggage racks but... the Richmond seats remain just recovered, and more impressively is the retention of the Regional Railways stripes on the overhead luggage racks! Some what, 20 years after the succession of Reggie Rail! :o

Attached Files:

18. Clansman

Certainly didn't expect them to retain those seats. Talk about underwhelming, it seams done on the cheap at best. Looks like they ran out of Grammar seats.

19. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

2 months in works and the bluddy awfull Richmond seats remain? Probably still mostly collapsed too. And all TS and Scotrails wibble about them being identical, Im felling rather conned!

20. Clansman

The whole scenic stock program is just a heap of rubbish, to say the least.

Literally, all they've done is repainted the exterior, recovered the seats, added in a double luggage rack in each coach, a couple of USBs here and there, gave the train a deep clean and put silver vinyl on all doors.

Hardly anything worth chanting about other than a refresh at best.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
  21. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

I thought there were still some 156s with that interior.

I'm assuming they'll want the 318 refurbs done sooner rather than later, should be done about the same time as the 320 refresh starts based on the time other units have been down.

250 should be the next one to return sometime next month I'd think.

22. Clansman

From what I know, most if not all of the ex Strathclyde 156s retain the SPT interior except from the flooring, which is saltire, with the exception of that one refurbished unit which is now has a fully refurbished interior.

23. stu99

stu99 Member

The richmond seat cushions look to have been altered as it seems that the curve in the back has gone and there is an indent for a head

24. fgwrich

I don't think they have been altered that much - the indent around the head area has always been there and the back still looks to me to be pretty much the same. Here's 732 to compare it to - clearly either just off the Circle or ScotRail are trialing new sharing seats...

One thing I have just noticed though from these two, is that it looks like the already rather tight seat spacing on these 158s has been narrowed further - both pictures are taken at the same point on each unit, but if you compare the top and bottom of the seats in each picture they do look closer together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
  25. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

Confused here those 2 units have being saltaired a while ago. Can't remember if they still have the green seats.

26. Clansman

They are both saltired and have been for a while now, but both still retain the full SPT interior to this day.

27. fgwrich

That's one of the ex SPT ones this week, everything's as it was in SPT days bar newer door buttons. Incidentally the refurbished 156 is parked up in Stirling with an ex SPT unit today for company as well.

Attached Files:

28. jamieintercity

jamieintercity Member

170470 is actually away at Kilmarnock for interior refresh at the moment, leaving 170471 retaining the SPT interior at the moment (but not for long). Meanwhile, 170420 is still in the first scotrail livery

29. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Established Member

There are about 10 ex spt 156's that have been fully refurbished but are still waiting their new seats and sockets. Everything else has been done to the same standard as 510, the only finished one. From memory I think refurbished so far are 432,501,502,503,505,506,508,509,510,511.

30. Clansman

I stand corrected

31. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Agreed, cheap and nasty job. They were meant to be new Grammer seats and a fully aligned all-tables layout. They've done neither.