• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
334s still have Route Clearance for Inverclyde and the Circle (including Neilston) but the issue would be driver traction knowledge. I ended up having to divert a 334 off a Larkhall into Central High Level a few months ago and ScotRail struggled to get someone to shift it for a couple of hours afterwards, eventually they sent a spare Motherwell man through.

Id thought a 334 could come on Glasgow - Lanark service now and then .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Currently none of the diagrams booked for a 320 include Gourock runs but they can and do go there. I queried the issue of whether Gourock drivers sign 320s before Christmas when one had been stepped up to cover for a failed 314 on a 2Gxx but was assured that they all sign them.

I see , last year one got cancelled last minute at Central as it was a 320 on Gourock service , maybe it changed recently .

What scotrail 170s have been visiting Kilmarnock recently as I lost track of how many have gone and come back to haymarket since 170420 was treated back in October.

Also, the 318 refurbishment program has seem to come to a end with the last unit 318254 (I think) left Doncaster yesterday

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
What scotrail 170s have been visiting Kilmarnock recently as I lost track of how many have gone and come back to haymarket since 170420 was treated back in October.

Also, the 318 refurbishment program has seem to come to a end with the last unit 318254 (I think) left Doncaster yesterday

In general, I think 170394 was the first of the ex Hull lot to get done with the remaining going soon I would imagine. 170470 and 170471 have also recently been done.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member

youngac

Have noticed that the plug sockets fitted on Class 318s and Class 320/4s seem to have been plated over in the past week or so. Anyone know why?

scotraildriver

Established Member
It's not exactly "pouring" is it? More like a drip. There was a sparky incident on a 320 when someone overloaded the socket with hair straighteners which requires modification hence currently out of use.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I see , last year one got cancelled last minute at Central as it was a 320 on Gourock service , maybe it changed recently .
How do you know the cancellation was specifically because of the type of unit that was stepped up? Do you think the TSDM would be so useless that they'd do a move without checking whether or not the driver(s) involved could work the train? Units don't just end up on diagrams by accident, someone has to make the decision to allocate it...

route101

Established Member
How do you know the cancellation was specifically because of the type of unit that was stepped up? Do you think the TSDM would be so useless that they'd do a move without checking whether or not the driver(s) involved could work the train? Units don't just end up on diagrams by accident, someone has to make the decision to allocate it...

I dont know the full story , but he said he got on the 320 which was going to Gourock then it was cancelled last miniute .

applepie2100

I've just had my first journey on a fully refurbished 156 (156 504) and it's a bit of a tale of two halves. The revised version of the good old ironing board chosen was actually nowhere near as bad as I'd feared. The thicker and more countured cushion really helps and for short to medium range journeys it actually feels like quite a good seat. There does appear to have been a reduction in the number of seating bays around tables. It also feels like the legroom has been reduced in the bays and it's clear there have been issues with the table heights as even the "fixed" version has very little room between your knee/thigh and the underside of the table.

The new PIS (a TrainFX product I believe) gives the impression of being throughly cheap (although I'm sure it was anything but) and nasty. Both the internal and external displays are of extremely poor quality with a constant flickering during scrolling. At least however ScotRail have bothered to program them do what they're supposed to unlike Northern. The carpet was also absolutely filthy and looked like it hadn't been hoovered since the day it was fitted. There also seems to be a large amount of fluff or something collecting on it so I do wonder how hard wearing it really is.

As usual with ScotRail refurbishments from a distance it looks like a quality job but up close you can see how many corners have been cut. A shame really as with a few little changes it could really show the 156 to be an excellent unit.

route101

Established Member
I've just had my first journey on a fully refurbished 156 (156 504) and it's a bit of a tale of two halves. The revised version of the good old ironing board chosen was actually nowhere near as bad as I'd feared. The thicker and more countured cushion really helps and for short to medium range journeys it actually feels like quite a good seat. There does appear to have been a reduction in the number of seating bays around tables. It also feels like the legroom has been reduced in the bays and it's clear there have been issues with the table heights as even the "fixed" version has very little room between your knee/thigh and the underside of the table.

The new PIS (a TrainFX product I believe) gives the impression of being throughly cheap (although I'm sure it was anything but) and nasty. Both the internal and external displays are of extremely poor quality with a constant flickering during scrolling. At least however ScotRail have bothered to program them do what they're supposed to unlike Northern. The carpet was also absolutely filthy and looked like it hadn't been hoovered since the day it was fitted. There also seems to be a large amount of fluff or something collecting on it so I do wonder how hard wearing it really is.

As usual with ScotRail refurbishments from a distance it looks like a quality job but up close you can see how many corners have been cut. A shame really as with a few little changes it could really show the 156 to be an excellent unit.

Is the New PIS only on the 156s with new seats , as never noticed any difference ?

applepie2100

Is the New PIS only on the 156s with new seats , as never noticed any difference ?

As far as I know there are quite a few kicking about with new PIS/partial refresh but still with the old Ashbourne seating but new covers/padding. This is due to an issue with the legroom/position of the tables when the Fainsa sets were fitted and I believe that the new seating will be retrofitted at some point.

kkong

The new PIS (a TrainFX product I believe) gives the impression of being throughly cheap (although I'm sure it was anything but) and nasty. Both the internal and external displays are of extremely poor quality with a constant flickering during scrolling.

I have yet to see these myself, but as the company is Chinese owned, this doesn't surprise me.

On-train customer information in the UK is really lagging behind compared to many other countries.

I dont know the full story , but he said he got on the 320 which was going to Gourock then it was cancelled last miniute .

It was cancelled because the driver booked to work that service didnt sign 320s at the time. No spare drivers were available to work the service.

Looks like 156431 has joined the ranks of refurbished PRM/re-seated units, along with 430/494/504/510.

Southsider

Have more 156s returned to service in the last few days? There was an additional 6 car service on the East Kilbride route this morning.

simon7929

Does anybody know which 156s are to come off lease soon. I believe 10 are due to be returned. Five I think are for Northern. Would the ones that are not in SR livery be some kind of clue?

scotraildriver

Established Member
Does anybody know which 156s are to come off lease soon. I believe 10 are due to be returned. Five I think are for Northern. Would the ones that are not in SR livery be some kind of clue?
10 units coming off lease - All WHL units as they will be replaced by 158's. So yes - Barbie livery RETB units but I can't remember which ones in particular.

stu99

10 units coming off lease - All WHL units as they will be replaced by 158's. So yes - Barbie livery RETB units but I can't remember which ones in particular.
There is a post on the facebook group Scottish Railways that apparently there is a massive improvement needed to bring the 158s to the WHL, so will be refurbished 156s instead.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Need to wait and see but the 10 units which have not been fitted with DAS, new forward facing CCTV and new lighting are all WHL units.

On Moderation
There is a post on the facebook group Scottish Railways that apparently there is a massive improvement needed to bring the 158s to the WHL, so will be refurbished 156s instead.
Ironing boards to Mallaig is not a prospect to look forward to. I’d also suggest it would not meet the requirements around providing something better for scenic lines.

stu99

Need to wait and see but the 10 units which have not been fitted with DAS, new forward facing CCTV and new lighting are all WHL units.
yes so it might happen, I think I'll wait to see what happens.

Ironing boards to Mallaig is not a prospect to look forward to. I’d also suggest it would not meet the requirements around providing something better for scenic lines.
I can imagine that is not to look forward too, I agree, although I haven't tried the ironing boards myself so really can't comment...

InOban

Established Member
My WHL magazine suggests that the gauging of the WHL for 158s will cost £9million. Can't think why. The locals will furious if we're stuck with 156s, refurbished even.

Status
Not open for further replies.