• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail On-Board Ticket Sellers - Get a cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Can you good people settle an argument here please?

Do the on-board Scotrail ticket sellers take a commission? Say, for example, ticket inspector leaves at Dalmuir and he has collected £100 from the people on-board, does he take a (legal) cut of that for himself?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think most guards that sell tickets* get commission on their sales. Not sure about other ticket enforcement staff.

*not all guards do ticketing- for example the non-commercial guards on South West Trains inner suburban routes.

Do the on-board Scotrail ticket sellers take a commission? Say, for example, ticket inspector leaves at Dalmuir and he has collected £100 from the people on-board, does he take a (legal) cut of that for himself?

Thanks!

as far as i am aware they are paid commission on ticket sales on the train

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Varies by company. It was 5% under BR, but as there have been so many renegotiations of contracts of the guards grade within TOCs over the last 15 years or so then it will vary somewhat these days. 5% is a good ballpark figure though, and its a good thing as it acts as an incentive for guards to check tickets. Better for the company to get 95% of a checked train than 100% of an unchecked one.

Scotrail84

Established Member

Thanks!

Scotrail guards definitely get 5% commission on all ticket sales they make. TE,s get 3% commission as far as I know.

motherwell334

Being a ticket examiner on that line, we dont get a cut but we get 3% commission, the guards get 5% commission on all ticket sales.

However there has been talk during the last pay deals that they have tried to buy the commission from us and give us a one-off payment for the privilage

The gateline staff dont get any commission at all

Last edited:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Being a ticket examiner on that line, we dont get a cut but we get 3% commission, the guards get 5% commission on all ticket sales.

However there has been talk during the last pay deals that they have tried to buy the commission from us and give us a one-off payment for the privilage

The gateline staff dont get any commission at all

Never give up the commission for a one off payment you lose out big time in the long run.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Or sell it, then ask for it back in three years when Scotrail wonder why revenue from ticket checks has dropped by more than the 5% they "saved" by abolishing commission. ;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am told that ATW guards receive their commission twice a year, in June (handy for sumemr holidays) and December (handy for Christmas). I can't remember what their rate is, but I think it changed when conditions were harmonised across the former W&W, FNW and Central staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.