• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail paper timetables not being printed during Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Noticed no paper Scotrail Timetables at Glasgow Central. Before lockdown the ticket office said that remaining paper ones will be put out and thats it. Keep it quiet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D.K.TAYLOR

Noticed no paper Scotrail Timetables at Glasgow Central. Before lockdown the ticket office said that remaining paper ones will be put out and thats it. Keep it quiet.
I haven't seen a paper t/t for many weeks think they took them out of circulation because of Covid 19

sng7

If you look at scotrails website they have not published PDF timetables either at the moment. Given that the timetable is being tweaked and changed due to the pandemic this isn't really a big suprise. There is no point sharing a timetable that is not being used, it can only cause confusion.

Chriso

No TOC are printing current timetables in paper form due to the current unstable situation. Apparently July will see a more stable timetable but I’m unsure if they will bother printing anything. I have used the railways a lot during Covid in my key worker status and can honestly say all racks are either empty or with dog eared leaflets. I think since the GOV intervention no TOC has printed a thing

route101

Established Member
I haven't seen a paper t/t for many weeks think they took them out of circulation because of Covid 19

All the LNER, Avanti,XC and TPE timetables were in place and racks were full for them . Glasgow Central was quite poor for Scotrail timetables.

Taunton

Established Member
No TOC are printing current timetables in paper form due to the current unstable situation. Apparently July will see a more stable timetable but I’m unsure if they will bother printing anything.
Timetables are not just to find the time of the next train. They are a statement of what the standard service provision should be. I can understand not putting paper ones in racks at the moment, but the PDFs obviously do not suffer from this. Although quite capable of automatic generation from the working timetable they seem to be one of the very first things that gets dropped with any disruption, budget shortfall, internal reorganisation, etc.

I find my way through the PDFs I keep on my computer in about 5% of the time it takes to penetrate through on line pages.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think also given the changes TOCs have made to services during the lockdown and the interim changes there would be little point printing paper timetables anyway.

Established Member
Just out of interest, why do you particularly want a paper timetable? If I was travelling by train at the moment, and I'm not, the last thing I'd be thinking of is hanging around leaflet racks at Glasgow Central.

route101

Established Member
Just out of interest, why do you particularly want a paper timetable? If I was travelling by train at the moment, and I'm not, the last thing I'd be thinking of is hanging around leaflet racks at Glasgow Central.

I went to look , was curious . I think hanging at the leaflet rack is preferable to being on the train.

AMD

At the moment the timetable is seeing changes on a weekly basis, so it's pointless printing timetables.
Plus there's a capacity issue at the printers - the new PON (Periodic Operational Notices) that should have come out last week have been postponed for this reason.

InOban

Established Member
Given that the whole operation is currently being funded by the taxpayer, I can think of better uses for my taxes.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think also given the changes TOCs have made to services during the lockdown and the interim changes there would be little point printing paper timetables anyway.

Absolutely agree. I also feel paper timetables are so last century ( if not the century before)

xc170

Absolutely agree. I also feel paper timetables are so last century ( if not the century before)

Agreed, all the information anyone could need will be available to download or via an app.

Get ready for the "but not everyone has internet access" comments!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Agreed, all the information anyone could need will be available to download or via an app.

I have simply offered my view. People are welcome to disagree. Their view is no more or less valid than anyone else.

scotrail158713

Established Member

Although I personally prefer a paper timetable I understand why there’s no point in publishing them just now. And if you think about the average person who doesn’t have internet access, there’s a good chance they’re shielding just now anyway.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I went to look , was curious . I think hanging at the leaflet rack is preferable to being on the train.
Can you clarify the context, please? Is this about avoiding the risk of COVID-19 on a train at the moment. I realise that the lockdown rules vary in different parts of the UK at the moment but visiting a (presumably staffed) station to 'hang out at the leaflet rack' doesn't seem very 'essential' to me.

route101

Established Member
Can you clarify the context, please? Is this about avoiding the risk of COVID-19 on a train at the moment. I realise that the lockdown rules vary in different parts of the UK at the moment but visiting a (presumably staffed) station to 'hang out at the leaflet rack' doesn't seem very 'essential' to me.

I was making a connection at Central and went look at the timetables!

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I don't know about "last century" let alone "the century before". I'd say it's only really within the last decade that paper timetables have become almost completely obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.