• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail: Passed Conductor assessement, what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am looking for a wee bit of information. I recently passed my conductor assessment with Scotrail. After my assessment I was told they don't have interviews lined up yet. I have done my fair share of looking through these forums and I was wondering what kind of time scale should I be looking at for an interview? I totally understand there's no real answer to this question, I had been waiting a few months from the online assessment to the actual 'sit-down' assessment. What I am really wanting to know is will I be interviewed for the original position I applied for or like I am hearing I will have to apply for roles to be interviewed for? I do anticipate a bit of a wait. I was also wondering if not being able to drive will affect my chances, I am thinking of the logistics of it I.e I applied for Glasgow Central so if I am on the Central to Largs route and I finish late or start early do I start/finish at Glasgow, I stay in West End so getting at taxi to work before public transport starts won't be a big deal for me. Any feedback and comments would be much appreciated

:D

P.s based on the finishing late in another location I would be ok to be put in accommodation if that was the case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi,

I am looking for a wee bit of information. I recently passed my conductor assessment with Scotrail. After my assessment I was told they don't have interviews lined up yet. I have done my fair share of looking through these forums and I was wondering what kind of time scale should I be looking at for an interview? I totally understand there's no real answer to this question, I had been waiting a few months from the online assessment to the actual 'sit-down' assessment. What I am really wanting to know is will I be interviewed for the original position I applied for or like I am hearing I will have to apply for roles to be interviewed for? I do anticipate a bit of a wait. I was also wondering if not being able to drive will affect my chances, I am thinking of the logistics of it I.e I applied for Glasgow Central so if I am on the Central to Largs route and I finish late or start early do I start/finish at Glasgow, I stay in West End so getting at taxi to work before public transport starts won't be a big deal for me. Any feedback and comments would be much appreciated

:D

P.s based on the finishing late in another location I would be ok to be put in accommodation if that was the case.

How your going to get to / from work will come up in your Interview. They are just looking for real common sense answers I guess.

FYI - Largs route is electrified, so doesen't have Conductor's on it! Conductor's only work on diesel trains!

I can get to and from work fine if I will always finish and start in Glasgow regardless of time I just wanted a wee inside into the policy if it's common that shifts start/finish in places other than the stated depot! I don't really know anyone in the industry that's why I ask, common sense or not I don't know how scotrail operate :D . You sure about the Largs thing? I had a conductor both ways when I went down in May??

spacehopper

I can get to and from work fine if I will always finish and start in Glasgow regardless of time I just wanted a wee inside into the policy if it's common that shifts start/finish in places other than the stated depot! I don't really know anyone in the industry that's why I ask, common sense or not I don't know how scotrail operate :D . You sure about the Largs thing? I had a conductor both ways when I went down in May??

You will always start and finish at your home depot in your case "Glasgow Central" as you will need to collect and depose of revenue equipment. Book on and book off with the Traincrew Supervisor in the "Time Office", read your "late notices" and pick up your diagram.

Electified lines in Strathclyde area are run as "Driver Only Operation (DOO) trains. Unlike most DOO trains these run with a second member of staff a "Ticket Examiner" they are purely commercial ie- just there to do tickets. The Largs line is such a DOO service so it will have been a TE you saw.

If you take a trip to Paisley Cannal, Barrhead etc these lines run with a driver AND a conductor.

A conductor is the name ScotRail give to staff who undertake the role of the "GUARD". Like a TE they do tickets but are safety critical staff responsible for safety of the train and its passengers and instruct the movement of the train. They dispatch train at stations and have full control of opening and closing train doors and tell the driver when it is safe to depart. A "conductor" is fully trained in relevant modules of the railway rule book applicable to the "guard" including protecting train in an emergency, accident or diversion.

They also "sign" the route they work over being fully competent in route knowledge and also traction knowledge (knowing type of trains they work).

Hope this helps you. There was a conductor based out of central on these boards but I think he left when attacks on staff especially guards were all too frequent.

Cool thank you for the info, I obviously need as much information about the role as possible, kinda just left it because I still haven't had a date for an interview, I am pretty knowledgable about a lot of the routes as I was a relief manager in west of Scotland and I don't drive, it's handy to know what the difference is between TE and conductor and what routes they're on. Just hoping I hear back soon it's dragging on a bit :( thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.