• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail RETB Fitted 156's - Carlisle and Beyond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
A question I have been meaning to ask for a while - the last time I travelled via Kilmarnock from Glasgow to Carlisle, the unit we had wasn't fitted with RETB, but I wouldn't be surprised if RETB fitted units made it that way from time to time. Can anyone confirm this?

By extension, do any of the RETB fitted units end up on diagrams to Newcastle? I was wondering whether Northern crews would be able to take them forward with the extra equipment (I know they take ScotRail units on as I have left a ScotRail unit from Glasgow at Carlisle where a Northern crew took over a while back) or if they are trained for it (obviously wouldn't need to use it in anger, but I would imagine the RETB kit has links into other systems within the train and won't be entirely standalone/could go wrong and cause issues that would need dealing with)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
The RETB units regularly work to Newcastle. Unless the unit is on the WeSt Highland line the RETB is just switched off. It doesn't affect anything else. It is entirely standalone.

Crossover

Established Member
Ah right - I wasn't sure if it was linked into the other onboard safety systems at all. Thanks for confirming that :)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
All ATW 158 Fleet were fitted with RETB prior to ERMTS but there wasn't anything to prevent them from working anywhere else.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The RETB unit just displays the names of the places the train is authorised to travel from and to. If the train sets off without this "electronic token" it will be brought to a stop. However this braking doesn't need any RETB-specific equipment on the train, as trackside equipment activates a TPWS loop except when the correct token is issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.