• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail shift pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotland1977

Has anybody heard how scotrail are bringing in the seven day working Rota for drivers a and how it will effect the shift pattern.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
There is a working party to discuss how it might work. But the 2 year pay deal is in place without it so nothing till after then anyway.

scotland1977

Thanks for the info I thought they were in talks to change the working week to a seven day working week and they were increasing the yearly salary.I read that in one of the newspapers.With doing two compulsory Sunday overtime shifts per month does that mean the drivers never get a full weekend off unless they use their holidays?

ComUtoR

Established Member
With four sundays per month. That still leaves the other two free.

scotraildriver

Established Member
You get a full 5 day long weekend every third week. That's the only weeken off as you work 3 Saturdays. Don't believe what you read in the papers and especially not The Scotsman. Their transport correspondent is terrible for printing "exclusives" usually made up from snippets on Twitter and even this forum.

scotland1977

Yeah I know it would leave the other two Sunday's free but would you not be working the Saturday and that means not a full weekend off as you would always be working one day out the weekend?..( sorry if I'm wrong I might be getting mixed up with the current shift pattern)
Yeah your right scotrail driver you should never believe what you read on the papers,over the years I've found out that journalists will print anything to have a story..
It was just that I read on here that there were plans to change the shift pattern to a 7 day working week, was just wondering how they were going to go about that? And is it compulsory overtime that must be done on the Sunday (the 5 days off)..?

Last edited:

Flying_Turtle

A Sunday doesn t mean a Saturday. The Pattern is a 3 week pattern and is more or less:
Sun/Mon/Tu *(Su)* We/Th * (Su) *Fri/Sat

You work one of those (Su) and have the other

scotland1977

Thanks flying turtle so basically you do your compulsory Sunday overtime shift on your 5 days off as if you done it on either of the other two Sunday's you would be working seven days on the bounce.So if you didn't want to work seven days on the trot you would work on the Sunday when you had 5 days off,so technically your always at work at some point at the weekend.

Last edited:

Thanks flying turtle so basically you do your compulsory Sunday overtime shift on your 5 days off as if you done it on either of the other two Sunday's you would be working seven days on the bounce.So if you didn't want to work seven days on the trot you would work on the Sunday when you had 5 days off,so technically your always at work at some point at the weekend.

NO! your 5 days off are days off. Most booked Sundays are either the Sunday before your 5 days off or the Sunday after. You can if you wish work the Sunday during your 5 days off, but you are not contracted to do so. This is the case at most depots in ScotRail. Now that rest day working is back in place you could in theory work 13 days on the trot before having to have a rest day.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
That would never get passed in a million years no matter how much money they threw at it..
From conversations I have had with reps there are many options they will look at including 4 on 4 off which I think we have discussed elsewhere. My opinion is that is one of the fairest ways of bringing Sunday's inside.
The whole process will take around 2 years unless working party decide to present it to us sooner and then it will go to a vote and I personally think it will be a tense time at that point.

Until that point it is the same rest day pattern that has been discussed.

scotland1977

Working 13 days on the bounce is a lot in any profession never mind train driving.Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

scotland1977

Even on the fatigue front 13 days solid working is a lot or even seven days solid every month.,fatigue must be bad for some drivers .

scotraildriver

Established Member
We have a blip in our roster where you go from rest day mon/Tue to fri/sat with a booked Sunday inbetween. So 9 in a row. It's rare though.

scotland1977

We have a blip in our roster where you go from rest day mon/Tue to fri/sat with a booked Sunday inbetween. So 9 in a row. It's rare though.

So really it's compulsory to do two Sunday's per month overtime so really you either give up you full weekend off and do your Sunday's then (5 days off ) or work seven -13 days on the trot.
For the Saftey aspect of it am surprised the company allows it to be honest.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

So really it's compulsory to do two Sunday's per month overtime so really you either give up you full weekend off (5 days ) or work seven -13 days on the trot.Technically your not contracted to work a 36 hour week as you have compulsory overtime added to that.( the two Sunday's )
For the Saftey aspect of it am surprised the company/unions allows it.Is it a case you just get used to it or do drivers struggle with fatigue
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
Why would you give up your long weekend? I think you are misunderstanding. You don't just choose 2 Sundays to work, they are in the roster. You don't get a booked Sunday on your 5 days off. Ever. But yes you regularly work 8 in a row.

Last edited:

scotland1977

Why would you give up your long weekend? I think you are misunderstanding. You don't just choose 2 Sundays to work, they are in the roster. You don't get a booked Sunday on your 5 days off. Ever. But yes you regularly work 8 in a row.

Yeah I think I've got mixed up with the shift pattern,when you guys work the Sunday it would be 7 days on the bounce (sorry if I've got it wrong again).
But if you work a compulsory overtime on the Sunday between your 5 days off until the next 5 days off that means you get 3 days off inbeteeen....Tuesday Wednesday and the other Sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.