Scotrail shift system.

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Maximillion, 10 Jul 2019.

1. Maximillion

Maximillion Member

@scotraildriver or anyone else, who may have the knowledge to answer this.

Hi i’m new to the board and have recently got through application and 1st assessment with scotrail, and i’m now awaiting interview with management.
    I was wondering if you could give me a rough idea of the shift pattern, and any other pointers.
    I have tried to find any illustration of the shifts but nothing shows up, although I did read that the new 6.5% pay offer was based upon flexibility etc, can you elaborate on this please.
    I want to be able to demonstrate as much knowledge as possible regards the job, but we were all advised against going to depots, so Ive decided here is the next best option.
    Thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Established Member

Shift pattern is earlies/lates and some nights depending on depot. Your days off are Mon/Tue week 1, Wed/Thu week 2 then Fri/Sat/Sun week3 then Mon/Tue again. Rural depots don't follow this pattern though. The pay deal didn't affect flexibility much. Some more flexibility with holidays.

4. Maximillion

Maximillion Member

Hi thanks for getting back.
    It would hopefully be Airdrie @scotraildriver should I be successful in the DMI and 2nd assessment and MMI.
    Only had 1st assessment yesterday so now trying to really ramp up my research.

5. scotraildriver

Just talk safety safety safety...

6. Maximillion

Maximillion Member

My current role is safety motivated so I will give as much examples as I can with regards to it.
    Can I just clarify the shifts as 2 banks of 7on 2 off followed by 5 off then the same again?

7. scotraildriver

No it's a weird system to anyone outside the railway. Your days off are a described above but you may or may not have a rostered Sunday in the middle. Sundays are "overtime" but that doesn't mean "voluntary". You will have 1 or 2 rostered Sundays per month which you must work, but are paid extra for. You won't be rostered a Sunday at your long weekend. ie Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue Days off.

8. Maximillion

Maximillion Member

Right yes I get you now.
    Appreciate you getting back with regards to that @scotraildriver and giving me an idea of the system, just need to try and arrange a depot visit- advised not to- but first hand experience for an interview helps best when a novice.. I don’t want to sound like Im quoting news reports about ‘Abellio scotrail’ at the DMI, I want to gather as much info as possible.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
  9. scotraildriver

If you've been told not to visit a depot then don't do it! Everything in the railway is about following procedure and doing what you're asked/trained to do. If they've said don't visit a depot then don't visit a depot! It's all about doing as you are asked.

10. Maximillion

Maximillion Member

@scotraildriver taken aboard, just need to search all I can find out and hopefully choose the right info for bullet point answers.

11. Ndlx

Ndlx Member

I start on 26th August and this is the first post I’ve seen about shift patterns etc. Could someone confirm if you work 7 days in a row or am I looking at the above shift pattern wrong? When you say sundays are ‘overtime’ shifts but you are rostered for them anyway, what is the rate of pay I.e time and a third etc?

12. Maximillion

Maximillion Member

Think the way @scotraildriver above explains it well- seems to be a 3 week roster which entails 1 sunday to work per cycle - sunday being the start of the working week, so how I see it is

Week 1. Week 2. Week 3.
    Mon. Off. On. On
    Tue Off. On. On
    Wed. On. Off. On
    Thu. On. Off. On
    Fri. On. On. Off
    Sat On. On. Off
    Sun. Off. On. Off

Then back to the start again it would just be start finish times would differ.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:14
  13. scotraildriver

Yes. If you have booked Sunday you can work 7 days in a row. You can however, declare yourself unavailable for a Sunday and they will give the shift to someone else who wants an extra one. If no one wants it you are contracted to work it. You get a book on fee for a Sunday I think it's £75 but standard rate.