• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Sleeper Coach Layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Is there an image/PDF file with the Scotrail Sleeper Coach layout available anywhere? I would be interested to see it for both the Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William Sleeper services! As the coaches don't seem to be lettered in a logical order!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
As the coaches don't seem to be lettered in a logical order!
My experience is that it varies. For example, at Euston the Aberdeen portion (coaches A-E) is usually at the very far end of the platform, but the last time I got the Sleeper they were in the middle. My guess is that it depends on the order the sections arrive at Edinburgh to join up the night before - if there's a delay then they end up in a different order.

Aictos

Established Member
Is there an image/PDF file with the Scotrail Sleeper Coach layout available anywhere? I would be interested to see it for both the Glasgow/Edinburgh and Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William Sleeper services! As the coaches don't seem to be lettered in a logical order!

It's amazing what a quick look on Google can do is it ;)

This is the Highland Sleeper formation, I don't know what the Lowland Sleeper formation is though.

Class 90
Sleeper Car G - Fort William
Sleeper Car F - Fort William
Sleeper Car E - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car D - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car C - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car B - Aberdeen
Lounge Car (unlettered) - Aberdeen
Seated Car A - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car P - Inverness
Sleeper Car N - Inverness
Sleeper Car M - Inverness
Sleeper Car L - Inverness
Sleeper Car K - Inverness
Sleeper Car J - Inverness
Lounge Car (unlettered) - Inverness
Seated Car H - Inverness.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does the lounge for the Fort William section get added with the day coaches at Edinburgh? Apologies i have never been on that part of the sleeper

Aictos

Established Member
Does the lounge for the Fort William section get added with the day coaches at Edinburgh? Apologies i have never been on that part of the sleeper

Yes it does, it has to be added at Edinburgh as otherwise the formation would never fit at Euston.

Aictos

Established Member
thanks - thought so! It barely fits at Euston now ;)

Just hope with the rebuilding of Euston we might see two platforms long enough to take the entire consist one day ;)

And it's no worries at all, glad I was able to help :)

Urban Gateline

Established Member
It's amazing what a quick look on Google can do is it ;)

This is the Highland Sleeper formation, I don't know what the Lowland Sleeper formation is though.

Class 90
Sleeper Car E - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car D - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car C - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car B - Aberdeen
Seated Car A - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car P - Inverness
Sleeper Car N - Inverness
Sleeper Car M - Inverness
Sleeper Car L - Inverness
Sleeper Car K - Inverness
Sleeper Car J - Inverness
Lounge Car (unlettered) - Inverness
Seated Car H - Inverness.

Thank you! If anyone happens to know it for the Lowland sleeper I'd be grateful. I did search using Google but was expecting an image (like VT/EC do) rather than just text! ;)

najaB

Veteran Member
Class 90
Sleeper Car E - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car D - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car C - Aberdeen
Sleeper Car B - Aberdeen
Seated Car A - Aberdeen
I'm 99.9% sure that I've been on it when the Fort William coaches were 'behind' the Aberdeen ones. It sticks out in my mind because I was in Coach E and remember wondering if I'd hear the loco or not. Turns out the answer was 'Not really'.

Aictos

Established Member
Thank you! If anyone happens to know it for the Lowland sleeper I'd be grateful. I did search using Google but was expecting an image (like VT/EC do) rather than just text! ;)

You are a fussy bugger ain't you ;)

rjholt

One of the most amazing experiences I have had is the Euston - Fort Bill throughout.

SeanG

When I was there it was, starting from the southerly end

Inverness
Aberdeen
Fort Bill

At Einburgh they just left in order, then the next 67 backed on, left, and so on

najaB

Veteran Member
Just to prove the point that it can vary, last night the Aberdeen portion lead the way to Euston, the Fort William coaches were in the middle and the Inverness section was trailing.

Also, there were only three sleeper coaches on the Aberdeen portion, I wasn't able to check if any of the other sections was a coach longer.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Also, there were only three sleeper coaches on the Aberdeen portion, I wasn't able to check if any of the other sections was a coach longer.
During the summer the Fort William portion often runs with three sleeping cars, with a corresponding reduction (from four to three) in the number of sleeping cars for Aberdeen.

D6975

Established Member
Oooh you devil you...

Shame they point the wrong way.
But then the sleepers aren't in that much of a hurry are they, a trundle round west London wouldn't be that much of a hardship.

najaB

Veteran Member
Oooh you devil you...

Shame they point the wrong way.
But then the sleepers aren't in that much of a hurry are they, a trundle round west London wouldn't be that much of a hardship.
There's plenty of padding in the schedules, so twenty or thirty minutes taking a tour of London isn't an insurmountable obstacle. There is a certain logic to keeping the sleeper at Euston though as it keeps all the London/Scotland services at two, nearby stations.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Also, lack of peak time capacity on the Waterloo approaches and plans on how to use those "spare" platforms for south western services once there is extra capacity mean that it's a daft idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.