• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Smartcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnR

I see this as being a way to add yet more complexity to ticketing. The ScotRail website states that they are only valid on their trains. So if you were travelling from say Motherwell to Glasgow you would not be able to use Cross Country or Virgin services with the Smartcard but you would if you had the same ticket type in paper format.

This is a big issue - there are quite a few services on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen corridor that are operated by non-ScotRail TOCs which take the path of a SR service. So lots of people rely on having a ticket thats valid on both. This probably explains the low take up in the NE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Timster83

Can the smartcards hold multiple tickets, ie a monthly season ticket and a couple of off peak returns?

I have a monthly season and an off peak return to Exhibition Centre loaded onto my card and they both show on a ticket machine when I check.

However, the last time I did this (with an off peak between Glasgow and Edinburgh), the validator at my home station refused to check me in and when I tapped out at Central, it marked the ticket to Edinburgh as having been used.

Update: I had no issue using the monthly season ticket from home to Central and then the offpeak return (with seasons loyalty discount) worked at both barriers from Central to Exhibition Centre, but then I got stuck at the barriers in Central on the return. Apparently "returns don't work as well as season tickets".

Last edited:

pdpd1971

Hi all

I am on the Paisley Canal line and can now buy single day tickets rather than just season tickets as before.

This is really useful to me as I don't have to go into Glasgow every day, but I like the convenience of pre-purchasing tickets, so it's good to see.

You need to buy tickets 4 hours in advance but I tend to do it the day before so no issue there...

The validators don't always work and I sometimes have to go to the ticket machine at the station, which is supposed to be the thing I could avoid - but when it does work, it's great.

When they haven't worked I've just shown my email confirmation to the train staff and it has been fine, the same with the barrier staff at Central. A couple of times, it only validates AT the barried at Central so it's worth trying before needing help...

I've also downloaded an NFC reader app to my phone, so I can also check to see that the ticket details are present/valid - that's a useful function.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Hi all

I am on the Paisley Canal line and can now buy single day tickets rather than just season tickets as before.

This is really useful to me as I don't have to go into Glasgow every day, but I like the convenience of pre-purchasing tickets, so it's good to see.

You need to buy tickets 4 hours in advance but I tend to do it the day before so no issue there...

The validators don't always work and I sometimes have to go to the ticket machine at the station, which is supposed to be the thing I could avoid - but when it does work, it's great.

When they haven't worked I've just shown my email confirmation to the train staff and it has been fine, the same with the barrier staff at Central. A couple of times, it only validates AT the barried at Central so it's worth trying before needing help...

I've also downloaded an NFC reader app to my phone, so I can also check to see that the ticket details are present/valid - that's a useful function.

Can I ask, what NFC reader are you using to view your tickets?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Sorry to bump this thread...

Over the last week, every time I try and get through the gates at either Glasgow Central or Queen Street, the gates show error code 47. What is error code 47? None of the gateline staff seem to know...

pdpd1971

An interesting and welcome update to the App (on Android only I think) is that you can load your purchased tickets to your Smartcard, just by using NFC - you can also check what's on your card, etc...

All they need to do now is make the barriers work at Central and we'll be laughing!

mattdickinson

This is a big issue - there are quite a few services on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen corridor that are operated by non-ScotRail TOCs which take the path of a SR service. So lots of people rely on having a ticket thats valid on both. This probably explains the low take up in the NE.

The FAQ page now states that it can be used on Virgin Trains East Coast services. No mention of Caledonian Sleeper, Cross Country, Transpennine Express or Virgin Trains West Coast though.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
If we can read it (shouldn't be a problem if it's the same format as ScotRail's) you can use it . TPE and XC don't have an onboard TIS as capable as our DORIS so will join the party a little later.

El Blanco

I travel almost daily between Inverkeithing and Edinburgh Gateway. Over the next few months these trips will be less than normal therefore it is not worth getting a monthly pass. I wanted to use a Flexipass on my Smartcard however it doesn't come up as an option. It does if you choose Haymarket or Edinburgh Waverley as the destination. Does anyone know why it works on some destinations and not others on the same route?

This is the latest in a number of frustrations I have had with the Smartcard implementation. Cheers.

JohnR

Am I right in thinking that everyone who had a season ticket on a smartcard got the same, £89? IN which case what was stopping someone getting a weekly ticket from say, Barry Links to Golf Street (£6.60) and then making a "profit" of over £80?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I travel almost daily between Inverkeithing and Edinburgh Gateway.

Thank you. Edinburgh Gateway [EGY] needs all the passenger numbers that it can get.

Over the next few months these trips will be less than normal therefore it is not worth getting a monthly pass.

That makes sense.

I wanted to use a Flexipass on my Smartcard however it doesn't come up as an option. It does if you choose Haymarket or Edinburgh Waverley as the destination.

Not all routes have flexipass yet. One requirement is that at least one of the stations needs to have fixed revenue gates. As EGY does this may just be an oversight. I will check for you and get back. (NB I'm off over Easter so it won't be until Tuesday that I'm back).

Does anyone know why it works on some destinations and not others on the same route?

See above.

Fleetwood Boy

I've been pretty successful using my Smartcard for both weekly seasons and a few returns - I'm just trying out the Flexipass carnet. One thought that I'm not sure how to test, is that I could quite easily see how I might have multiple potentially active "products" on my Smartcard simultaneously (for example, I might have a carnet valid for a month to/from Glasgow, but a weekly season because I know for sure I'll be travelling to/from Glasgow for 5 days that week, plus a return from Glasgow to some other point not covered by either). How will the system know which one I want to use when I touch in at Glasgow Central? Does it wait to see where I touch out, to see if the return ticket was the one I intended to use? If I go back to my home station, and I have a valid season ticket and a carnet will it default to the season? Or will it try to use up one of my carnet of tickets? Given that there's the added complication that the Smartcard can't currently cope with finishing short on the season ticket (which is, of course entirely valid), I can foresee lots of opportunities for glitches and I'm not sure I want to test them at my expense.

I'm not even really sure about whether you need to pedantically touch in and out, especially with the season ticket I have loaded. There are three exits from my home station, but the most convenient one for me doesn't have a reader. At first I kept walking back to the less convenient exit, but then forgot on a few occasions and it didn't seem to matter, I could still touch-in the next morning and get a Journey Started message. The only time it caused a problem was when I wanted to use the season ticket again one evening for a second round-trip to Glasgow - because I hadn't touched out after the first round-trip, when I touched the reader it "completed" my journey but then wouldn't let me touch-in to start the next one, even though that would be perfectly acceptable with a season ticket. I'm guessing there's some sort of timelag requirement between finishing one journey and starting another (unless they've incorrectly set up a feature to restrict seasons to only one round-trip a day), although I can't see the slightest logic as its clearly not a "passback" situation.

So as I say - its actually not bad, and I like the fact that I can buy my tickets in advance given that my home station doesn't even have a TVM let alone a ticket office. But I do wonder how clever the back office systems are for users who aren't just making simple out-and-back journeys using one product at a time.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Regardless of the product stored on your smartcard all journeys must be tapped in & tapped out. A valid season ticket will take priority over a current flexipass for the same journey. Recognising breaks of journey at an intermediate station is still currently a problem - hopefully resolved sooner rather than later.

Fleetwood Boy

Regardless of the product stored on your smartcard all journeys must be tapped in & tapped out. A valid season ticket will take priority over a current flexipass for the same journey. Recognising breaks of journey at an intermediate station is still currently a problem - hopefully resolved sooner rather than later.
Thanks Ren0118. As I say, I really like the Smartcard concept, I just fret about losing my control over which bit of orange card I feed into the barrier when things are potentially complicated.

I’ll test what you say about a season taking precedence over a carnet next week. Hope you’re right!

I bottled out of really testing it on Friday (when I bought an Off Peak Return as it was a public holiday). Wasn’t convinced it would work out whether I was using the Return or the carnet, so just bought a paper ticket for the Return.

Does it have some sort of hierarchy of which products it uses?

fraser158

Sorry to revive this post but is it possible to tap in at stations without a platform validator when the barriers aren’t in operation and the barriers are locked in the “out” direction?

*Edit*

I specifically refer to Edinburgh Park. I couldn’t find a validator separate from the barrier there.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Sorry to revive this post but is it possible to tap in at stations without a platform validator when the barriers aren’t in operation and the barriers are locked in the “out” direction?
My understanding is that it should still register the tap in. I've not personally tried it though.

TheAlbanach_

Took a friend to her train today from EDB, she had s Smartcard but there was nowhere to validate on platform 12. Asked the staff checking the tickets and they said just jump on the train anyway. Later confirmed that it should be tapped in on the validator, but that's difficult when there isn't one...

najaB

Veteran Member
Took a friend to her train today from EDB, she had s Smartcard but there was nowhere to validate on platform 12. Asked the staff checking the tickets and they said just jump on the train anyway. Later confirmed that it should be tapped in on the validator, but that's difficult when there isn't one...
Don't you have to go through the barriers to get to platform 12 or has the layout changed?

TheAlbanach_

It used to be through the gates next to 13, but since the extension openers (December I think), it's next to number 11 so no gates. But they do have staff checking and selling tickets to it. When the platform 5 & 6 extensions are done, I believe the idea is to have them all gated.

Chrism20

Established Member
I thought they would have got a reader down there by now given how long the platform has now been open.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I thought they would have got a reader down there by now given how long the platform has now been open.

The reader (for platform 11) was attached to the former BTP building (now removed). My belief is that ScotRail want a replacement (stand alone) reader for platforms 11 & 12 but Network Rail have the final say in its positioning.

Esker-pades

Established Member
What is the rationale behind the placement of SmarCard readers? On a recent(ish) visit to Duirinish (a request stop on the Kyle of Lochalsh line), there was one. Not entirely sure why as I didn't see one at Inverness.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They'll be built into the ticket barriers at Inverness.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's normally a stand along reader on the platform at stations that don't have ticket barriers.

Highlandspring

Established Member
There are smart card readers at every ScotRail station, even the likes of Golf Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.