• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail telling people not to use trains. Who is paying for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
But you’re not going to catch the virus is someone merely walks past you - the virus won’t proverbially jump ship and infect you there and then.
I completely agree with you. I just don't understand why the railway has gone OCD about it when most people out and about clearly aren't bothered any more. I very much doubt that anyone who is scared of the virus is going anywhere near a train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deltic1961

Funny how Scotrail were previously happy to have everyone "safely" crammed together on their short formed services and now they're playing it ultra safe by taping off seats and telling people not to travel. Hmmm.

trebor79

Established Member
There’d have to be sufficient station or on train staff to enforce capacity limits on every train throughout its journey as the science behind basic face coverings as a preventative measure isn’t as yet fully proven as I’m aware.
Other European countries seem to be managing to run trains full of people wearing masks without an explosion of coronavirus cases. That would suggest we could do the same.

nlogax

Established Member
Other European countries seem to be managing to run trains full of people wearing masks without an explosion of coronavirus cases. That would suggest we could do the same.

That would be the case if we were in sync with other European countries re. C-19. We were (mistakenly) later going into lockdown than our neighbours and we're going to be a few weeks later at shrugging off some of these restrictions.

trebor79

Established Member
That would be the case if we were in sync with other European countries re. C-19. We were (mistakenly) later going into lockdown than our neighbours and we're going to be a few weeks later at shrugging off some of these restrictions.
I'm not sure that holds much water. If public transport was such a risky transmission vector then even from a very low level infection would soon spiral again.
And London now has very very low levels of infection, yet the tube and commuter trains have reportedly been somewhat busy throughout.

Butts

Veteran Member
Funny how Scotrail were previously happy to have everyone "safely" crammed together on their short formed services and now they're playing it ultra safe by taping off seats and telling people not to travel. Hmmm.

No taped off seats on the Dunblane to Edinburgh service, mind you with half a dozen people on a six carriage service hardly surprising !!

nlogax

Established Member
And London now has very very low levels of infection, yet the tube and commuter trains have reportedly been somewhat busy throughout.

Can't speak for the tubes, I've not taken one since March but the trains have been extremely quiet down here. An entire carriage to myself when going to Waterloo on Friday morning as one example. Anyway, this isn't about London.

No taped off seats on the Dunblane to Edinburgh service, mind you with half a dozen people on a six carriage service hardly surprising !!

That's extraordinary..and yet sadly to be expected right now. In your experience how busy would that service normally be, pre-Covid?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure that holds much water. If public transport was such a risky transmission vector then even from a very low level infection would soon spiral again.
It holds no water; a few people have tried to use that excuse, but no evidence is available to substantiate the claim. It's been documented in numerous other threads.

Does anyone have anything specific to add about the ScotRail situation? If so, please do poat. If not, I will close this thread as we already have threads to discuss face coverings, social distancing and the effects of social distancing on public transport.

Butts

Veteran Member
Can't speak for the tubes, I've not taken one since March but the trains have been extremely quiet down here. An entire carriage to myself when going to Waterloo on Friday morning as one example. Anyway, this isn't about London.

That's extraordinary..and yet sadly to be expected right now. In your experience how busy would that service normally be, pre-Covid?

The 1725 Service I normally get from Falkirk to Haymarket would be reasonably full on a normal evening - not standing but a few seats free.

The return 0623 Service in the morning I travel home on is normally lightly loaded Covid 19 or not !!

route101

Established Member
0759 East Kilbride ( EKL ) to Glasgow, not sure how many i counted at Glasgow Central , maybe 20- 25 got off 4 car 156. ELK car park had 2 cars parked , so still very quiet. No one got on at Giffnock but Crossmyloof had the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.