Scotrail Trainee drivers (Now Abellio)

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by scotraildriver, 23 Jan 2014.

1. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Established Member

A heads up for anyone interested - Scotrail will be advertising online for trainee drivers very shortly, with vacancies at almost every depot. Interestingly having seen the advert today (not online yet) it specifically states that anyone who has previously failed the assessments, even twice, is welcome to apply for the new testing process. Previous attempts are now all deleted.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. DJCT1980

DJCT1980 Member

Will see how I progress as a conductor then possibly apply 2-3 years time. Its always worth a try nothing lost nothing gained :D

4. Jydo

Jydo Member

Thats good, this is something I shall be interested in. Thanks for the heads up

New testing process??

5. mr double 77

mr double 77 Member

This is great news as I applied for Trainee Driver sept 13, passed initial application, and was placed on hold pending assessment days, and was very surprised my application passed as I live in Manchester so fingers crossed a interview will be in the not so distant future, it was for Aberdeen I applied, and news of when they will start advertising ??

6. ultra4

ultra4 Member

Can you find out whether people who recently passed entire assessment process up to DM interview, will proceed straight to DMI.

7. SkinnyDave

SkinnyDave Established Member

Providing you have passed all the elements Scotrail require then you should proceed to DM stage providing you get passed the Shortlisting stage with them

Last edited: 23 Jan 2014
  8. scotraildriver

Sorry I can't get any more info. Just happened to be talking to someone in the know today but won't see them again anytime soon. Sorry.

9. Markos72

Markos72 Member

Will keep an eye out for this,previously applied in 2012,and was put on hold pending assessment.

10. Sammy h

Sammy h Member

This is great news, looking forward to seeing the vacancies. Any idea which depots?

11. Network

Network Member

same here then never heard anything back :(

12. Sammy h

Sammy h Member

Any news on when these will be released?

13. Jones

Jones Member

Any more news on this?

14. scotraildriver

Released internally at the moment, external still due to start shortly.

15. Jones

Jones Member

Cool! Hope they go public soon, and good luck to the applicants. :D

I can't apply, stupid six month wait rule :cry:

16. scotraildriver

These jobs are now online although they are being put up and withdrawn pretty fast. Please note that they are online at Firstgroup-jobs.com - select Scotland then the list view. For some reason they are not on the Scotrail website. Applications for Central and Edinburgh close this Thursday.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2014
  17. Jydo

Jydo Member

Got mine in pretty fast, done the 2 online assessments (which I have passed) so hopefully a telephone interview is in the pipeline..........

Found the 2nd online assessment quite challenging, think a few folk might fall at this hurdle.....

Good luck to everyone :)

18. G42

G42 Member

Is there a time limit on them?

19. Jydo

Jydo Member

Once your application is submitted you must complete the online tests within 48 hours, the 2nd test (which is quite a challenge) can be practised as many times as you want.

Expect the vacancy to be removed & closed before the 3rd April deadline

20. TrackMann

TrackMann Member

What was the second assessment?

I only was only asked to do the SJT.

Oh well, that's that down the drain then.

21. Jydo

Jydo Member

1st test was 18 questions on situational judgement, after I done it I got a message on my First webpage maybe 15mins later telling me to complete another assessment.....

22. kitwaller

kitwaller Member

Do you need a mouse to do the assessments or can it be done on a tablet?

23. Maybe

Maybe Member

First one you can do on a tablet such as an iPad but second one you will need a mouse

24. kitwaller

kitwaller Member

Chears will do 1st on tablet then see if I get 2nd to do

25. G42

G42 Member

I completed both tests last night.

The first, I found quite straight forward. Before the test, I had practised using some of the free situational judgement tests you can find on the web. I was pleasantly surprised when I came to do the actual test that the options were fewer and the situations more straightforward (in my opinion).

For the second test, I done one hour of (Scotrail provided) practice tests. The problem is that you are literally repeating the same practice test time after time. My score was improving, but only because I was beginning to recognise some of the patterns. When I went to do the actual test, the new sequences really stumped me. I knew I hadn't done well compared to my practice attempts.

Alas, the rejection email came through today.

Good luck to anyone still to complete the tests. In the 48 hours you have to do them, I'm doubtful as to how much preparation you can effectively put in. I think you would need to be practicing over a longer period in order to really make a difference to your score for the second test.

26. Jydo

Jydo Member

Really sorry to hear that. I spoke about this test in an earlier post. Like you I practised for about 20mins but found the practice material only helped a little mainly because it was the exact same questions/answers so the pattern was getting familiar.........after taking a deep breath & physicking myself out i took the test, i got 23/25 i think.......

Id like to know exactly how "difficult" they deem this test to be? Its sure as hell going to eliminate a lot of hopefuls.....

27. kitwaller

kitwaller Member

I've been practicing for a while for tests I've got to do elsewhere by doing large word searches against the clock. Definatly helped when it came to the 2nd test.

28. scotraildriver

Vacancies gone now. Quick as that!

29. kitwaller

kitwaller Member

Anyone heard back about telephone interviews yet?

30. glasgowguy1984

glasgowguy1984 Member

Regarding the second online test I did it on my laptop and don't have a mouse so used the finger pad instead. For anyone in future always use a mouse! I know I didn't get to answers in time because of the stupid pad was ready to throw the laptop out the window after it, luckily got an email this afternoon saying I'd passed, don't know how I managed that but I don't care so yay! For future applicants though use a mouse otherwise you may have the urge to smash expensive electronic equipment afterwards.

31. Jydo

Jydo Member

I got an email today inviting me for a telephone interview, got it booked for next week, great news but my feet are firmly planted on the ground.....