• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

rfc boy

This week. It's already an agonising wait, 3 weeks is murder!

I believe all interviews for the post are done so hopefully shouldn't be too long.

The waiting is the worst part but you've just got to be patient. Hopefully they will be back in touch with you soon. Good luck. Let me know how you get on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galasteve

Yeah, thats the only option. I'll give you a shout when I hear.

Do you know how many posts were being taken at Edinburgh?

St Mikey

I've heard it's been heavy recruitment from external candidates again with very minimal numbers of internal applications progressing even to the second part of the tests.

Guess Transport Scotland funding has won the dice roll again.

Good luck to those progressing and don't **** up. L o l

Jydo

Would be interesting to know the exact recruitment figures in the end. Im sure there are plenty folk on here in the know but a manager at a freight company (who shall remain nameless) told me there was a total of 40 jobs in the end and 11 of those were filled by DB Schenker drivers. If the decline continues in the freight industry then more freight drivers are going to be first in line for jobs with tocs

scotland1977

Hey guys am also in the reserve list for 12 months,I got my email at the end of December to confirm this.Just by reading all your posts regarding all the freight drivers that are moving over to scotrail has got me wondering if there is going to be any positions available this year,can anybody shed any light on and courses that are due to take place this year.Also has anybody ever been on the reserve list and not got a position with scotrail in the end?
Many thanks ����
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yeah, thats the only option. I'll give you a shout when I hear.

Do you know how many posts were being taken at Edinburgh?

Hey Galasteve I heard there was at least 9 positions
at edinburgh but not sure if that had changed
over the last few months.Is it edinburgh depo that you have
applied for?....
I'm hoping for Airdrie Stirling or Bathgate
fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Galasteve

It wasn't Edinburgh. I'm also reserve list but can't say I'm holding my breath.

I do know someone who was on reserve list a few years ago who was later called back and got the job. But I believe there were 18 positions available at one depot in particular case. I guess someone failed a medical or stumbled in initial training.

scotland1977

It wasn't Edinburgh. I'm also reserve list but can't say I'm holding my breath.

I do know someone who was on reserve list a few years ago who was later called back and got the job. But I believe there were 18 positions available at one depot in particular case. I guess someone failed a medical or stumbled in initial training.

Just a waiting game now for everybody on the list,I know it takes time to get the funding for courses as well so best just try and be patient I guess.
All the best Galasteve and best of luck to you.
Does anybody have any information regarding the proposed 7 day working week for scotrail drivers.
Making the Sunday as part of the working week will this change the shift pattern and in what way as I know the drivers only currently work the Sunday on a voluntary overtime basis.
[
Does anybody have any information regarding the proposed 7 day working week for scotrail drivers.
Making the Sunday as part of the working week will this change the shift pattern and in what way as I know the drivers only currently work the Sunday on a voluntary overtime basis.[/QUOTE]

Just a waiting game now for everybody on the list,I know it takes time to get the funding for courses as well so best just try and be patient I guess.
All the best Galasteve and best of luck to you.
Making the Sunday as part of the working week will this change the shift pattern and in what way as I know the drivers only currently work the Sunday on a voluntary overtime basis.
[
[/QUOTE]

Sunday as part of the week has been kicked into touch for at least 12-18 months. Doubtful it will even happen by then.
Would be interesting to know the exact recruitment figures in the end. Im sure there are plenty folk on here in the know but a manager at a freight company (who shall remain nameless) told me there was a total of 40 jobs in the end and 11 of those were filled by DB Schenker drivers. If the decline continues in the freight industry then more freight drivers are going to be first in line for jobs with tocs

Seemingly only 2 DBS drivers got jobs out of 14 interviewed - info from a DBS driver of one of the affected depots. And there were more than 40 jobs. At least 100. 12 or 13 trainees coming to Ayr alone this year.

Macanacas

The reserve list is definitely genuine. I was placed on it in December and have just been through my medical and offered a trainee position starting this month.

scotland1977

The reserve list is definitely genuine. I was placed on it in December and have just been through my medical and offered a trainee position starting this month.

Congratulations Macanacas well done!!
Which depo do you start your training for?

How much notice does scotrail give between contacting you to offer of a position until the actual start date of the course.

Macanacas

How much notice does scotrail give between contacting you to offer of a position until the actual start date of the course.

Hi Scotland 1977, thank you, totally chuffed.
So from being contacted to starting it will be 2 weeks. I guess if you are contacted regarding a new course there would be plenty of time to give employers notice etc, I have been offered a place short notice due to a place becoming available last min.
What station are u on the reserve list for?

scotland1977

Hi Scotland 1977, thank you, totally chuffed.
So from being contacted to starting it will be 2 weeks. I guess if you are contacted regarding a new course there would be plenty of time to give employers notice etc, I have been offered a place short notice due to a place becoming available last min.
What station are u on the reserve list for?

That's excellent news Macanacas just shows to keep the faith and a position might come up after all.Im initially down for edinburgh depo which depo Are you starting at?...best of luck hope everything goes great for you.

Macanacas

That's excellent news Macanacas just shows to keep the faith and a position might come up after all.Im initially down for edinburgh depo which depo Are you starting at?...best of luck hope everything goes great for you.

Hi Scotland 1977 I've just noticed your last message. started at Ayr station.
There are a few Edinburgh blokes on the course that I'm on.
i hope you have heard back or that u will be on the next lot of recruitment

Senshi

I see the worrying from possible trainees is still the same, i was in that position last year, done all assessments, done all interviews and the likes. Like some of you i got placed on the 'waiting list' thinking that i never had a hope in hell and that was maybe theyre polite way of saying no...

Here i am today almost at the end of my training - 240 hours driving so far - knowing that in the next 2/3 weeks i will have reached my minimum days and hours required and will start to get passed out - i WILL be out on my own in the next month or 2.

Just trust me when i say that it can happen to anyone. I was off the street, never really used trains, and still frankly dont use them unless im driving them. I got told i would be on the waiting list for 6 months and if i hadn't been contacted by then that i would have to re-apply.

6 months passed and nothing, not a ring of the phone, not a chap at the door, not even a carrier pidgeon with a start date...

...i didnt reapply, i just stuck into my old job and got on with it...

..then 3 months after that the phone goes, it was a lovely lady on the phone saying sorry she hadnt been in touch and if i was still interested in a job... best news of my life. Not for the fact id be making more than 45 grand a year, or that i get free rail travel, it was the fact that i tried so hard to get the job in terms of studying etc and the fact all that time and effort eventually paid off! i have lifetime job security, provided i dont make an arse of it.

Anyways the point im making here is stick in, dont give up if you really want it. Another piece of advice is DO NOT PESTER DTMs... one or two phonecalls is OK but a million phonecalls will get you noticed for the wrong reasons.

Good luck to you all.

PS - JYDO how the hell do you no have a job yet lol!!

Last edited:

Flying_Turtle

I see the worrying from possible trainees is still the same, i was in that position last year, done all assessments, done all interviews and the likes. Like some of you i got placed on the 'waiting list' thinking that i never had a hope in hell and that was maybe theyre polite way of saying no...

Here i am today almost at the end of my training - 240 hours driving so far - knowing that in the next 2/3 weeks i will have reached my minimum days and hours required and will start to get passed out - i WILL be out on my own in the next month or 2.

Just trust me when i say that it can happen to anyone. I was off the street, never really used trains, and still frankly dont use them unless im driving them. I got told i would be on the waiting list for 6 months and if i hadn't been contacted by then that i would have to re-apply.

6 months passed and nothing, not a ring of the phone, not a chap at the door, not even a carrier pidgeon with a start date...

..then 3 months after that the phone goes, it was a lovely lady on the phone saying sorry she hadnt been in touch and if i was still interested in a job... best news of my life. Not for the fact id be making more than 45 grand a year, or that i get free rail travel, it was the fact that i tried so hard to get the job in terms of studying etc and the fact all that time and effort eventually paid off! i have lifetime job security, provided i dont make an arse of it.

Anyways the point im making here is stick in, dont give up if you really want it. Another piece of advice is DO NOT PESTER DTMs... one or two phonecalls is OK but a million phonecalls will get you noticed for the wrong reasons.

Good luck to you all.

Like!

Jydo

Good luck to you all.

Firstly Senshi, very well done to you mate, you are doing brilliantly!!!! Im glad you have grabbed this opportunity with both hands and even coming on here and sharing your story will no doubt give others (who are currently in the same position you were in) a bit of hope. You have gave lots of very good helpful advice with what you have said here so I'm sure everyone will take the positives from it. Unfortunately I am still on the outside looking in at the moment, I can't really go into a lot of detail on a public forum regarding my particular journey but amazingly there was a job offer on the table, then it was removed and I am currently not on any reserve list, thats about the size of it. Naturally I was dissapointed as anyone else would have been in my position but on a positive note I do really enjoy my current job so I have been focusing all my efforts with that and have put the railway "career" and this rail forum on the backburner for now. On another positive note if I apply again and get past the initial application sift then I have passed all the assessments so thats one less thing to worry about but definitely not taking anything for granted because of that......

All the best Senshi with the rest of your training and your young family :D

Best of luck to everyone currently biting their finger nails on the reserve list, I'm sure many of you will get a call.......its probably more of a 'when' rather than an 'if' so stay positive.......

scotland1977

Does anybody know of any training courses for new trainee drivers that are forecast for the coming months ahead within scotrail.

mw1967

Does anybody know of any training courses for new trainee drivers that are forecast for the coming months ahead within scotrail.
Do you mean courses for those who have passed all interviews/assessments/medical etc and have been offered a trainee driver position. Or courses to help with the process of becoming a trainee driver?

Thomo_88

I understand the scotrail positions have been filled/in process of being filled. Does anyone have any information on when the next possible recruitment drive will be, or have any tips on how to get my foot in the door as a trainee driver in Scotland? Was stupid enough to miss the last vacancies closing dates and now left wondering what steps to take next? Desperate for a career change. Will being an Electrcian have any slight advantage of getting a shot at being a train driver? Thanks

scotland1977

I understand the scotrail positions have been filled/in process of being filled. Does anyone have any information on when the next possible recruitment drive will be, or have any tips on how to get my foot in the door as a trainee driver in Scotland? Was stupid enough to miss the last vacancies closing dates and now left wondering what steps to take next? Desperate for a career change. Will being an Electrcian have any slight advantage of getting a shot at being a train driver? Thanks

I've not heard when they are next recruiting but keep an eye on their careers website for information.

kickin aff

I'm aware that around this time last year scotrail embarked on a major trainee driver recruitment process. Is there any chance of vacancies arising for similar positions this year or are they still well subscribed from last year?

scotraildriver

Established Member
Recruitment for trainees starting again this week. Aberdeen only at the moment, advert out today or tomorrow.