• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Kirkk007

How would this be answered for example,

I would probably say A-2 B-4 C-1 D-2
The reasoning being C+D is I'm not at 100% there could potentially be a fault in my driving, therefore client would never get there...
B is a reasonable request however it helps manager out in 1 aspect but now he has to cover therefore unhelpful
And A is taking me out of the equation altogether showing an unwillingness to help in any way.

Is this the correct way to 'think' for these answers do you think...
Ps hopefully you can see the pic or load it up then it would make more sense

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 140
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grimmlock

Hi all,

I've passed my assessment centre and DMI, now I have the Computer tests and the MMI on Tuesday.

I prepared a lot of scenario based questions for the DMI and got none, so I'm guessing by the info that I've read here that I'll be asked these questions in the MMI.

Do I need to brush up on my knowledge if the company for the MMI?

Cheers

Grimmlock

Hi all,

I've passed my assessment centre and DMI, now I have the Computer tests and the MMI on Tuesday.

I prepared a lot of scenario based questions for the DMI and got none, so I'm guessing by the info that I've read here that I'll be asked these questions in the MMI.

Cheers

donpoku

How would this be answered for example,

I would probably say A-2 B-4 C-1 D-2
The reasoning being C+D is I'm not at 100% there could potentially be a fault in my driving, therefore client would never get there...
B is a reasonable request however it helps manager out in 1 aspect but now he has to cover therefore unhelpful
And A is taking me out of the equation altogether showing an unwillingness to help in any way.

Is this the correct way to 'think' for these answers do you think...
Ps hopefully you can see the pic or load it up then it would make more sense
I am sorry but your bases for answering these questions are wrong.

As Safety is before anything, always inform and decline work if you are too tired to perform the task.

I am willing to be corrected if my above response is wrong but to my understanding 'too tired' compromise safety in a safety critical work.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

donpoku

Hi all,

Cheers
I wouldn't worry too much about it, just put safety before anything and give yourself some time to think before answering.

Be honest if you don't understand the question as they will clarify. They are just looking for a safety conscious person who think before they act.

Flying_Turtle

5-5-1-1

You either do it or not. Once you assume a compromise it is up to you to ensure that you will keep up to it unless seriously unforseen circumstances arise (that's my view) but you must be able to do it in a competent and safe maner!

Last edited:

Kirkk007

I am sorry but your bases for answering these questions are wrong.

As Safety is before anything, always inform and decline work if you are too tired to perform the task.

I am willing to be corrected if my above response is wrong but to my understanding 'too tired' compromise safety in a safety critical work.

Would you agree with flying turtle?

Who's point of view is this supposed to be from?, previously you said help your manager unless compromising on safety which I totally understand, being in a safety critical role now, I get that 5 was answered in A due to you being open and letting the manager know that you can't do it as it's not safe, as your not at your best therefore being helpful. However for the manager personally you aren't really being helpful as your not helping him out.
Perhaps I am over thinking things a bit much. From above posts basically don't sit on the fence and safety number 1 ultimately answer in the best way to avoid any situations directly affecting me, my train or my passengers even if my manager may be a bit cheesed at me.
Got all this on Tuesday so fingers crossed o get through should know by Wednesday

Jydo

As far as I can remember most of the questions in the SJE are not just about safety. If you are just going to approach these questions with a 'safety first' attitude then you are in for a shock. This whole test is designed so they can try to understand your way of thinking and to get a better understanding of what you would do in given situations. There is no right answer and there is no wrong answer, there are answers which resolve, which help, which do nothing, which dont help and which make the situation worse. You need to soley understand what this test is for, coming on here and asking for help isnt going to help you pass. If I recall during my test one of the questions went something along the lines like this.......

You have been at work since 8am, it is now 7pm, your boss has approached you and asked if you can run him to the airport this evening at 9pm, you are feeling very tired but dont want to say no to your boss. Do you? A) take him, B) agree to take him and just drink alot of coffee C) refuse to take him because you are tired D) ask a fellow employee to do it E) approach your boss privately and explain that you are tired and suggest someone else do it

There are answers here that help, there are answers that dont and there are also answers that make things worse. Its up to you to make the call.

Like I have said its not all just about safety, its about understanding instructions, making decisions and also communicating with others. The SJE is a great tool for companies to get information on the way you think. I'm sure at my MMI interview they told me that its an independant physcologist who comes in and scores these tests. Out of the whole recruitment process (which I passed) this was probably the test I wasnt too worried about. If I can also remember correctly there was also one question which didnt have any positive answers as the outcome.

Last edited:

Jydo

I wouldn't worry too much about it, just put safety before anything and give yourself some time to think before answering.

Be honest if you don't understand the question as they will clarify. They are just looking for a safety conscious person who think before they act.

This is the kind of inaccurate reply that you give to a guy asking for advice on his MMI? So wrong with what you are saying. Firstly, you are given a sheet of paper with questions, you get 25mins to write a short answer without going into too much detail. Thats it. Once you have written your answers they will be taken away, after a short period you will meet up with your allocated interviewer who will then conduct the interview based on the answers you have given, they will be scribbling down stuff at the same time as you are talking so try not to be put off by this as they will be still listening to everything you say. There isnt any opportunity to ask for help if you dont understand a question and to be honest if you need help with any of these questions then you have no right to be there. As for safety well only one of the questions you are going to be asked is directed to safety. The MMI is a structured interview where you are asked to give a series of examples of times where you have conducted yourself in a professional manner in different areas. This is a tough interview that you should fully prepare for, the more prep you put in the less likely you are to mess it up.

Dont worry about it too much? <------ Understatement of the century

Last edited:

Kirkk007

As far as I can remember most of the questions in the SJE are not just about safety. If you are just going to approach these questions with a 'safety first' attitude then you are in for a shock. This whole test is designed so they can try to understand your way of thinking and to get a better understanding of what you would do in given situations. There is no right answer and there is no wrong answer, there are answers which resolve, which help, which do nothing, which dont help and which make the situation worse. You need to soley understand what this test is for, coming on here and asking for help isnt going to help you pass. If I recall during my test one of the questions went something along the lines like this.......

You have been at work since 8am, it is now 7pm, your boss has approached you and asked if you can run him to the airport this evening at 9pm, you are feeling very tired but dont want to say no to your boss. Do you? A) take him, B) agree to take him and just drink alot of coffee C) refuse to take him because you are tired D) ask a fellow employee to do it E) approach your boss privately and explain that you are tired and suggest someone else do it

There are answers here that help, there are answers that dont and there are also answers that make things worse. Its up to you to make the call.

Like I have said its not all just about safety, its about understanding instructions, making decisions and also communicating with others. The SJE is a great tool for companies to get information on the way you think. I'm sure at my MMI interview they told me that its an independant physcologist who comes in and scores these tests. Out of the whole recruitment process (which I passed) this was probably the test I wasnt too worried about. If I can also remember correctly there was also one question which didnt have any positive answers as the outcome.

Ok I understand now, just be ME, if it's for me it won't go by me...

scotraildriver

Established Member
Modern apprenticeships being advertised at the moment if anyone has kids or are young yourself. A fair few past apprentices are now drivers, a great way to learn about every aspect of the railway.

kickin aff

It's 2 years since scotrail done their big recruitment drive for trainee train drivers. Does anyone know if there is likely to be any further trainee posts in the not to distant future.

Kaltias

I’ve applied! Fingers crossed, as I passed all my tests with VTEC recently only to be told after a year we aren’t getting jobs anymore :(

Better luck this time hopefully! Good luck to all.

JoshT10

I have applied for the trainee driver roles with Greater Anglia. However I'm also thinking of applying for some of the trainee train driver roles with Scotrail. As both Greater Anglia and Scotrail are operated by Abellio, does this mean the same recruitment team will be sorting the job applications or will both Greater Anglia and Scotrail have separate recruitment teams?

Would be great if anyone knew the answer to this.

Also does anyone know if you can have more than one live application with Scotrail?
Cheers

josecc

Does anyone know how many trainee drivers they are looking for at Yoker, Airdrie Motherwell and Ayr. Will the fact that I made some progress 3 years ago through the assessment stage and interview help or hinder my application this time?

Cyclist

Does anyone know how many trainee drivers they are looking for at Yoker, Airdrie Motherwell and Ayr. Will the fact that I made some progress 3 years ago through the assessment stage and interview help or hinder my application this time?
what stage did you reach? did you fail any OPC assessments?

ZackCulross

Probably a stupid question.

I did opc test (or something along the lines) with Edinburgh Trams when I became a tram driver, would that count.

xtradj

The adverts say assessments are on two separate days

Is that two separate as in people attend one of two.
Or two as in they split them over two days?

Kaltias

Probably a stupid question.

I did opc test (or something along the lines) with Edinburgh Trams when I became a tram driver, would that count.

I’m sure you’d have to sit the tests from scratch, I don’t think those passes count for heavy rail.

Donhamer

The adverts say assessments are on two separate days

Is that two separate as in people attend one of two.
Or two as in they split them over two days?

Pretty sure it means you would (if your application is shortlisted) sit one assessment then if you pass that you would sit a 2nd (different) assessment.

Chaz15

The Perth role whilst now closed, extended the closing date a couple of times, and I've now noticed the Glasgow drivers role due to close tomo has extended until Monday. Any idea why this happens? i would have thought they would get plenty applicants in original time scales.

josecc

The Perth role whilst now closed, extended the closing date a couple of times, and I've now noticed the Glasgow drivers role due to close tomo has extended until Monday. Any idea why this happens? i would have thought they would get plenty applicants in original time scales.

I know they have been having issues with the applications over the weekend so it might have something to do with that.
Maybe they weren't happy with the number of people applying.

rosie

ive just had email inviting me to assessment centre in Glasgow for the Perth role. Anyone who's been through it free for a PM and a chat?