• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pcb1980

I heard back today that I passed the assessment centre. I had to email them though and ask for an update on my application status. I sent my email at 9am and received the reply with good news at midday.
Which email did you use?

Scuba2208

Just heard this afternoon, I've been invited to assessment day for the Edinburgh posts!

Happy days.

MrHopefull

Just heard this afternoon, I've been invited to assessment day for the Edinburgh posts!

Happy days.
Congratulations
when did you here as I am still under consideration and panicing now haha
Really thought I had a good application with background of railways

Butthead

Out of curiosity, do any of you folks who have been asked to come for assessments already work for Scotrail?

neily878

Anyone here going for Inverness Posts and got an assessment on the 16th August? My email arrived today

Butthead

The frustrating thing for people who already work for Scotrail is external candidates probably have a better chance of getting these jobs.

The government subsidise the training of drivers who are recruited externally so it's more cost effective to employ them rather than an existing member of staff.

I've had interviews in the past for driver jobs so the application I put in this time was a lot stronger than my previous ones which were accepted.

Got a knock back straight off the bat this time. With all due respect to externals theres no way your applications could be stronger than someone who already works in the railway and understands how it works.

It's not a level playing field.

Last edited:

hiall

The frustrating thing for people who already work for Scotrail is external candidates probably have a better chance of getting these jobs.

The government subsidise the training of drivers who are recruited externally so it's more cost effective to employ them rather than an existing member of staff.

I've had interviews in the past for driver jobs so the application I put in this time was a lot stronger than my previous ones which were accepted.

Got a knock back straight off the bat this time. With all due respect to externals theres no way your applications could be stronger than someone who already works in the railway and understands how it works.

You are obviously not what they are looking for. Just because you have a railway background does not make you a stronger candidate than someone outside. There are many skills and requirements needed to become a successful driver and having a railway background is not one of them.

Chaz15

With all due respect to externals theres no way your applications could be stronger than someone who already works in the railway and understands how it works.

There's a nonsense sweeping statement if ever I saw it.

You no nothing about me and my experiences, just because they aren't railway doesn't make them irrelevant. They ask for safety critical experiences, nothing more nothing less, and some people are able to convey these better than others.

I've already achieved a job that thousands of others apply for, I know how to do strong applications. I can apply that knowledge of recruitment processes to the railway and do just as good an application as internals, and better on many occasions too.

So to say there is no way any of us externals can do as good an application as any of you internals, is as wrong as it is insulting to a great number of people.

Saltire

That shows no respect to any other candidates, either external or internal or even for your employer. Perhaps your previous applications were stronger, but you think you know best. Your post shows an arrogance that has probably came across on your application and you now find yourself in a position you'd rather not be in.
Next time you get the opportunity to apply perhaps submit an updated version of an application that that has got you through the initial sift.

mw1967

Out of curiosity, do any of you folks who have been asked to come for assessments already work for Scotrail?
Late reply to this but I am an internal applicant. Invited to assessment (date to be confirmed), Application was for Central.

NWarner

Nice one. You getting the train down that day. We should meet up and try and help each other out with preparing that day. Calm the nerves

Wish I could mate. Currently working abroad and my current employer won't give me the time off, absoultly gutted. I've asked to be considered to attend the assessment centre at a later date, we'll see if I hear back.