• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail27

Finally got invitation to attend assessment on 15th Nov.

Applied for edinburgh/Bathgate

Does anyone know if OPC are running them?

Hope everyone else hears soon

Cheers

Wow I can’t believe they’re still doing assessments for this, I was invited to the assessment back in August but my mrs went into labour the night before, so I emailed them and was told only doing assessments that day and there was no chance to reschedule unless there was a cancellation.

Bennski

Well the one i sat only had 2 pages of dots cant remember exactly how many lines per page but I had got enough right to pass, bare in mind its about how many you get right and wrong not how many you do.

djh840

Hi guys. Just received an email regarding the next stage of assessment/interview. Had my interview on Friday and I have been placed in a reserve pool for 6 months due to there being more successful candidates than positions to fill. Can anyone she'd any light on this? Likelihood of progression?

5thrail

No idea mate but you are further than most. I’m in for edinburgh and awaiting dmi. Good luck

StephenB

Hi guys. Just received an email regarding the next stage of assessment/interview. Had my interview on Friday and I have been placed in a reserve pool for 6 months due to there being more successful candidates than positions to fill. Can anyone she'd any light on this? Likelihood of progression?
Hi , well done making it through, was this for Yoker depot? I had my interview last week and still haven’t heard back from them, not sounding good.

hiall

They need over 200 to be done for end of next year. What they need and what the company does is two different things. There are many drivers leaving scotrail for other jobs for various reasons. A good few ready for retirement as well so all going well there will be alot more trainee drivers getting positions throughout..

Methodical

Hi all ,
Received email this evening saying I'd passed manager interview and to attend 2nd part assessment next month . Delighted .

StephenB

The job I applied for was Yoker, Motherwell, Ayr and Airdrie. I got an email this evening also saying I passed the interview and have my next assessment/interview early next month.

S16

Hi All, and well done to those who have got through.

Been lurking on here for a while and thought I better pop my head up and say hello!

I applied for Motherwell and I've got my 2nd Part Assessment tomorrow, is anyone else going to this?

Cheers

Stevos

I had an email to confirm I have passed my interview but too many passed the interview stage and there aren't enough positions for applicants.
I was in for Bathgate/Edinburgh
Seems a bit silly to get that far into the process then tell you sorry but there are no jobs going.
I feel a bit disheartened about the whole thing to be honest as the time and days off I've had to take (unpaid) to do it seems like a waste of time now.

S16

Stevos, no that's not too good at all is it? I've also had to take a few last minute days off (sickies) to accommodate the process. Have you been told that you're in a reserve pool or was it just thanks and goodbye?

Stevos

Stevos, no that's not too good at all is it? I've also had to take a few last minute days off (sickies) to accommodate the process. Have you been told that you're in a reserve pool or was it just thanks and goodbye?
Just that I'm in the reserve pool and if a job comes up I will continue on with the process so to speak.
Not sure what happens if nothing comes up within six months though if it means I have to start the whole process again.
Yep they certainly don't give a lot of notice for tests/ interviews to arrange holidays I can understand why though.

DEvans

I’ve been asked to attend an interview tomorrow in Inverness, with two days notice. I’ve not attended any assessment centre etc. Is this a good sign? Also has anyone any advice for the interview tomorrow? Any assistance is of course helpful.

DE.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Just that I'm in the reserve pool and if a job comes up I will continue on with the process so to speak.
Not sure what happens if nothing comes up within six months though if it means I have to start the whole process again.
Yep they certainly don't give a lot of notice for tests/ interviews to arrange holidays I can understand why though.
Don't get too disheartened. This is quite common while training requirements and courses are confirmed. There will be more vacancies shortly so just hang in there!

Stevos

Don't get too disheartened. This is quite common while training requirements and courses are confirmed. There will be more vacancies shortly so just hang in there!
Thanks I'm just going to need to wait it out and hopefully I get an email to attend the 2nd test.

Stevos

I’ve been asked to attend an interview tomorrow in Inverness, with two days notice. I’ve not attended any assessment centre etc. Is this a good sign? Also has anyone any advice for the interview tomorrow? Any assistance is of course helpful.

DE.
Just stay calm during it. I had common interests with the couple interviewing me to be honest and it really helped me relax.
It's competency based,name a time when you had to concentrate for a long period of time etc.
You will be fine they are really nice people.
Read up on a bit of scotrail history.
I got asked what I knew about them.

DEvans

Just stay calm during it. I had common interests with the couple interviewing me to be honest and it really helped me relax.
It's competency based,name a time when you had to concentrate for a long period of time etc.
You will be fine they are really nice people.
Read up on a bit of scotrail history.
I got asked what I knew about them.

Thank you for your advice Stevos. I’m currently reading up on ScotRail and the line I’m being interviewed for. I think that’s all I can do at such short notice.

DE

Stevos

Thank you for your advice Stevos. I’m currently reading up on ScotRail and the line I’m being interviewed for. I think that’s all I can do at such short notice.

DE
That's it just read up and try not to overload yourself.
Good luck

Hapless

Hi All, and well done to those who have got through.

Been lurking on here for a while and thought I better pop my head up and say hello!

I applied for Motherwell and I've got my 2nd Part Assessment tomorrow, is anyone else going to this?

Cheers

How did you get on? :?:

S16

How did you get on? :?:
Passed computer test and had MMI, was informed after MMI that we'd be notified by phone call and sure enough, received call at 4pm yesterday. Conditional offer to start 21st January with medical booked for 3rd Dec. I'm absolutely delighted as you can imagine, and also somewhat shocked to have made it through the process!

I found the joysticks the hardest of all 3 computer tests, as did the other candidates, and the traffic perception test pictures felt like they were only displayed for a split second! I found the flashing grey squares pretty easy with only one catching me out because I mis-timed blinking my eyes! For anyone not sure what to expect, its a small light grey square that changes to dark grey every so often, randomly, in the middle of a white screen. I expected the grey square to be bigger for some reason but its only about an inch in length/height! We started at 9.30am and I was in central station by 1.30pm on my way home.

I'm still in utter disbelief that I've made it through!

Prober

Passed computer test and had MMI, was informed after MMI that we'd be notified by phone call and sure enough, received call at 4pm yesterday. Conditional offer to start 21st January with medical booked for 3rd Dec. I'm absolutely delighted as you can imagine, and also somewhat shocked to have made it through the process!

I found the joysticks the hardest of all 3 computer tests, as did the other candidates, and the traffic perception test pictures felt like they were only displayed for a split second! I found the flashing grey squares pretty easy with only one catching me out because I mis-timed blinking my eyes! For anyone not sure what to expect, its a small light grey square that changes to dark grey every so often, randomly, in the middle of a white screen. I expected the grey square to be bigger for some reason but its only about an inch in length/height! We started at 9.30am and I was in central station by 1.30pm on my way home.

I'm still in utter disbelief that I've made it through!
Well done on passing. I'm in next week and hoped you wouldn't mind a couple of questions?
You mentioned the joysticks were the hardest, is it the same shape every time, including in the practice?
Also how many of you were at the stage 2 assessment?