• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sportman

Any news from the people who applied for the trainee positions that closed on the 27th? Just to say there still working through the original sift

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RazzleDazzle

Some sat initial tests the week after close then further progressed the following week.

kickin aff from this threads’ comments from what I can gauge it was only David MclUckie who sat these tests on the week that followed the close of the 27th December job. Before I issue him with an apology, I just want to bottom something out, because something definitely doesn’t ring true in terms of timescales so I find it decidedly astonishing the turnaround he’s had in ten working days (at the time of writing).

Kickin aff, you elude to “some” ie plural so I’d be keen to know the following:

WHO, OTHER THAN David MclUckie, WHO APPLIED FOR THE TRAINEE TRAIN DRIVERS JOB CLOSING ON 27th DECEMBER 2018, HAS SAT TESTS/ATTENDED A DMI SUBSEQUENTLY?

(I understand folk who applied prior to the 27th December on different applications may well have had their testing/DMIs last/this week, but it’s my question in capitals I’m seeking the answer to please.)

Moderators, I would urge you to have a look at chats from page 62 onwards, because whilst I’ll happily be disproved and return cap-in-hand, I gravely doubt the veracity of some claims here!

randomblock

kickin aff from this threads’ comments from what I can gauge it was only David MclUckie who sat these tests on the week that followed the close of the 27th December job. Before I issue him with an apology, I just want to bottom something out, because something definitely doesn’t ring true in terms of timescales so I find it decidedly astonishing the turnaround he’s had in ten working days (at the time of writing).

WHO, OTHER THAN David MclUckie, WHO APPLIED FOR THE TRAINEE TRAIN DRIVERS JOB CLOSING ON 27th DECEMBER 2018, HAS SAT TESTS/ATTENDED A DMI SUBSEQUENTLY?

(I understand folk who applied prior to the 27th December on different applications may well have had their testing/DMIs last/this week, but it’s my question in capitals I’m seeking the answer to please.)

Moderators, I would urge you to have a look at chats from page 62 onwards, because whilst I’ll happily be disproved and return cap-in-hand, I gravely doubt the veracity of some claims here!
I have.

kickin aff

Poster Kendo is another.

Kendo

I can ver

I have too

RazzleDazzle

Ok fair enough. David MclUckie, I rescind all my suspicions and you have my sincere apologies.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be so cynical.

All the best to those who’ve heard.

Jen17

Mines still under consideration, applied 17th December. 10 days before the close of applications!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Anyone ever applied to at least 10 jobs your over qualified for and never heard back? Getting annoyed now!

Which jobs are you overqualified for? I got knocked back countless times for train driver roles, and yeah it’s a kick in the teeth each time but I’ve never thought of myself as overqualified, as it’s more attributes you need for those roles rather than qualifications if you get what I mean...

adam3131

Hi probably been asked hundreds of times but first time applying what’s the maximum response for finding out if your application has been accepted and if so where’s the best place to look online to study for the tests ?
(Trainee train driver job)

Hi probably been asked hundreds of times but first time applying what’s the maximum response for finding out if your application has been accepted and if so where’s the best place to look online to study for the tests ?

It has been asked quite a lot and the answer is always 'how long is a piece of string' I'm afraid. Some people have waited days, others weeks and some even months so its just a case of keeping an eye on your email and not worrying if you haven't heard anything.

Regarding the tests, personally I wouldn't bother trying to study for them (by which I mean practice) with the exception of the Group Bourdon test, and there is a sticky thread on this forum which includes some software you can download to a PC. I found it very useful and I think many others on here have too. If you get invited for assessments then the TOC will send you some information about what to expect and a some examples for you to look at and try for yourself.

kickin aff

The recent advert in December for scotrail said if you hear nothing after 8 weeks from closing date then assume that you are unsuccessful.

adam3131

It has been asked quite a lot and the answer is always 'how long is a piece of string' I'm afraid. Some people have waited days, others weeks and some even months so its just a case of keeping an eye on your email and not worrying if you haven't heard anything.

Regarding the tests, personally I wouldn't bother trying to study for them (by which I mean practice) with the exception of the Group Bourdon test, and there is a sticky thread on this forum which includes some software you can download to a PC. I found it very useful and I think many others on here have too. If you get invited for assessments then the TOC will send you some information about what to expect and a some examples for you to look at and try for yourself.
Thank you very much I will try find the thread appreciated

xPedro

Apart from a couple of people who have said already, has anyone else heard any news who applied on 27th December 2018?

My friend is a conductor in Inverness and said he heard interviews are being held in Inverness this week for driver jobs?

Last edited:

Bigyin

Hi all, just new to this forum. Does anyone know if ScotRail will be recruiting trainee train drivers in the near future? Thanks

Stevos

Hi all, just new to this forum. Does anyone know if ScotRail will be recruiting trainee train drivers in the near future? Thanks
They have just completed /in process of a big recruitment drive for drivers.

Captain

All they said is I would find out very quickly. I was in for about 40 mins. The interviewers were really good, no good cop bad cop routine which i read about in previous posts.
Hi, could you tell me how long they give you to write some answers to the questions they give you for the MMi interview.

Kendo

Hi, could you tell me how long they give you to write some answers to the questions they give you for the MMi interview.
That was for my DMI. I'm not sure regarding the MMI believe it's 6 questions. I'd imagine it would be a brief account of what your answer is, then you'll talk about in more detail.

Stevos

How many drivers were they looking for? Do you think there will a recruitment drive in the next year or so?
Hi I'm not sure whether they will have another recruitment drive or not.
You could always email the recruitment and ask. They are very helpful.

Saltire

Well, well, well after applying for the Edinburgh/Bathgate trainee train drivers position away back on 9th July I have received an email this afternoon (yes on a Sunday) inviting me to assessment centre on 7th February.
Unfortunately I’m away on a family holiday, I’ll reply to ask if they can reschedule, but just goes to show there isn’t really any maximum timescale to these applications.
To those who applied around the same time as I - check your inboxes and good luck!