• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Stevos

Can anyone who is on the driver training course just now drop me a pm please just got a couple daft questions to ask before I start.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Making Tracks

Hi folks, got an assessment day at the end of the month, this forum has been a lot of help, though I’ve found some of the information to be slightly conflicting. Can anyone who knows for sure confirm the below?;-

Test day 1 - bourdon, trainability 1&2, tea occ tests

If you pass all of them then you have a DMI on the day test day 1? DMI being competency based questions? Tell us about a time you worked as a team etc ?

If it pass that you have a second test day?

Test day 2

computer based testing and if you pass that then probably SJT which will make up your MMI interview... or is the SJT the MMI. And if you pass that the happy days you’re in?

Appreciate any corrections to this and thanks to all contributing for their helpful Information. Good luck to all those testing and waiting to hear news.

kickin aff

Making tracks
Test day 1 consists of paper tests only. If successful then you attend on another occasion for the DMI.

Hi folks, got an assessment day at the end of the month, this forum has been a lot of help, though I’ve found some of the information to be slightly conflicting. Can anyone who knows for sure confirm the below?;-

Test day 1 - bourdon, trainability 1&2, tea occ tests

If you pass all of them then you have a DMI on the day test day 1? DMI being competency based questions? Tell us about a time you worked as a team etc ?

If it pass that you have a second test day?

Test day 2

computer based testing and if you pass that then probably SJT which will make up your MMI interview... or is the SJT the MMI. And if you pass that the happy days you’re in?

Appreciate any corrections to this and thanks to all contributing for their helpful Information. Good luck to all those testing and waiting to hear news.
Assuming you’re successful at each stage then:
• Initial application online, then you’ll be invited to...
• 1st assessments day (paper tests), then you’ll be given date/time for...
• DMI at your local depot, then invited to...
• 2nd assessments day (computer tests and SJT), then immediately onto...
• MMI on same day as 2nd assessments. If you pass then...
• Conditional job offer (or reserve pool), conditions being the...
• Medical and disclosure check.

The time between these stages can be days, weeks, or months. Patience is required! Everyone is very friendly, fair, and professional. You’ll be guided through the process and sent practice materials etc.

SJT can be part of the MMI but predominately it is about the 6 situations you’ll be asked to write about (you’ll have 25 mins to write them down).

Hope this helps.

Robbo-73

Hi Folks, anyone from the South of Scotland (below the central belt) heard anything yet? I've never experienced such a long delay!!

Jaz

I applied on for the Scot rail trainee driver jobs on the 18th of December still had no word. Anybody got any feed back yet with regards to these positions. Thanks

I applied on for the Scot rail trainee driver jobs on the 18th of December still had no word. Anybody got any feed back yet with regards to these positions. Thanks
Was this the vacany that said something like “if you hadn’t heard within 8 weeks then you’ve been unsuccessful”?

Bigdriver

Was this the vacany that said something like “if you hadn’t heard within 8 weeks then you’ve been unsuccessful”?
Yes that’s correct regarding the 8 weeks! I had my assessment 1 on the 7th that was the first day of testing for these jobs the hr lady told us ! Just waiting for a date for my dmi! If anyone has any information regarding that

Making Tracks

Assuming you’re successful at each stage then:
• Initial application online, then you’ll be invited to...
• 1st assessments day (paper tests), then you’ll be given date/time for...
• DMI at your local depot, then invited to...
• 2nd assessments day (computer tests and SJT), then immediately onto...
• MMI on same day as 2nd assessments. If you pass then...
• Conditional job offer (or reserve pool), conditions being the...
• Medical and disclosure check.

The time between these stages can be days, weeks, or months. Patience is required! Everyone is very friendly, fair, and professional. You’ll be guided through the process and sent practice materials etc.

SJT can be part of the MMI but predominately it is about the 6 situations you’ll be asked to write about (you’ll have 25 mins to write them down).

Hope this helps.

Absolutely top notch, thanks for verifying all that!

mattsfc

Heard nothing at all. Website says application is under consideration. Can’t quite remember the closing date for this job but think it may be close to the eight week mark now.
It did state if there was no communication by eight weeks then the application is unsuccessful.

xPedro

As the closing date is 31/03/19 for qualified drivers, do you think they're maybe trying to push recruitment for trainees back to April for the new financial year?

I applied for the trainee drivers jobs closing on 27/02/18, my nearest station is Inverness. Looking through it seems that after 8 weeks they can still take you. With the exception on a couple of people on here no one has heard anything back and the 8 weeks is up on Friday.

Am I looking into it too much or is Friday D day?

adam3131

I am currently still under consideration according to my online profile would this change if you have been unsuccessful or after the eight weeks is up will it still say under consideration but you have been unsuccessful?

Kendo

I've completed my medical was originally told it would be March for a start date. It now looks like it's been pushed back to April. Is anyone else in the same boat?

John Bishop

I've completed my medical was originally told it would be March for a start date. It now looks like it's been pushed back to April. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah. Done everything, just waiting for a contract and a start date? You heard anything from them recently?

There was a course starting on 25th March I believe.

Kendo

Yeah. Done everything, just waiting for a contract and a start date? You heard anything from them recently?

There was a course starting on 25th March I believe.
Only that the course is looking more likely for April. That was about 3/4 weeks ago I got an email

Railwayman13

Finally got a date next Monday for my MMI and 2nd assessments. Anyone got any tips or advice? I’m most worried about the traffic picture one to be honest.. any help would be great

Glaw

I’m there tomorrow but 9:30
They obviously have an early then a late.how are you feeling about it if you don’t mind me asking?. I’m hearing different things about it, some say the MMI is at the end ( if you make it ) and others have said they went back for it

Jord85

They obviously have an early then a late.how are you feeling about it if you don’t mind me asking?. I’m hearing different things about it, some say the MMI is at the end ( if you make it ) and others have said they went back for it
Yeh I think it’s on every day this week so I have heard so quite a lot of people in for it.. I have been practicing the bourdon test and scoring well so feeling okay about it now ? How about yourself ?

Glaw

Yeh I think it’s on every day this week so I have heard so quite a lot of people in for it.. I have been practicing the bourdon test and scoring well so feeling okay about it now ? How about yourself ?
Yeah, I’ve been doing the same but only getting around 9-10 rows down. Will just keep practicing and hope it ends well on the day. All week? I’ve heard around 20 candidates are on each one so if it’s monday - Friday that’s 200 this week alone. I currently work for network rail and I’ve had to take a holiday for tomorrow even though we fall under the same bracket. So that’s why I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how many days off we will need if successful.

Jord85

Yeh I am getting down to about like 10 quite comfortable now ? I’m the same had to take unpaid leave work which is a pain but needs must

Yeah, I’ve been doing the same but only getting around 9-10 rows down. Will just keep practicing and hope it ends well on the day. All week? I’ve heard around 20 candidates are on each one so if it’s monday - Friday that’s 200 this week alone. I currently work for network rail and I’ve had to take a holiday for tomorrow even though we fall under the same bracket. So that’s why I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how many days off we will need if successful.
Days off I took:
1. First day of assessments
2. DMI interview (it only lasts approx 45 mins so you might not need to take an entire day off)
3. Second day of assessments (including MMI - I haven't heard of anyone going back for the MMI on a separate day)
4. Medical

Glaw

Well it’s good to know that we are getting similar results. Good luck tomorrow.

Glaw

Days off I took:
1. First day of assessments
2. DMI interview (it only lasts approx 45 mins so you might not need to take an entire day off)
3. Second day of assessments (including MMI - I haven't heard of anyone going back for the MMI on a separate day)
4. Medical

Thank you.
So the MMI won’t be on the same day as the first assessment day?

Finally got a date next Monday for my MMI and 2nd assessments. Anyone got any tips or advice? I’m most worried about the traffic picture one to be honest.. any help would be great
Make sure you've read and practiced what they email you. Relax, listen carefully to their instructions, and ask any questions you may have. The tests are quite difficult so you will probably feel bad after them - the painful part is waiting to hear how you did.

Thank you.
So the MMI won’t be on the same day as the first assessment day?
Your first assessment day is usually all paper tests - dots, following rules, listening for tones, etc.

The second day of assessments includes the SJE wherein your answers can form part of the MMI that you will have if you pass the computer tests. After passing the computer tests, you'll be asked to write down a few scenarios that pertain to the scenarios (name a time you did so and so...) which will then form the basis of your MMI. I haven't heard of anyone having an MMI before passing all tests on day 1 and 2.

Glaw

Your first assessment day is usually all paper tests - dots, following rules, listening for tones, etc.

The second day of assessments includes the SJE wherein your answers can form part of the MMI that you will have if you pass the computer tests. After passing the computer tests, you'll be asked to write down a few scenarios that pertain to the scenarios (name a time you did so and so...) which will then form the basis of your MMI. I haven't heard of anyone having an MMI before passing all tests on day 1 and 2.

Perfect, thank you for clearing that up. If anyone is coming from Perth tomorrow and starting at 12:30 let me know. Thanks