• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Jamies77

Aye here’s hoping...I emailed weeks ago and they said be in touch soon etc .....too cheeky to fire away a second email?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boris533

Aye here’s hoping...I emailed weeks ago and they said be in touch soon etc .....too cheeky to fire away a second email?
I wouldn’t say so to be honest. No harm in asking how your application has done, it won’t have any bearing what so ever on how you performed.

JUF

I emailed during the week and they still said would hear by end of the week, and here we are... lol

Boris533

JUF and Jamies77, what depot are you guys in for? As they say no news is good news, I’m sure the unsuccessful candidates are usually the first to hear. I’m sure they will get back to you’d eventually.

Bigdriver

I notice there is a ad up on the website for qualified train driver closing on the 19 th do you think this might be slowing the process up too? For people getting told yes or no depending on the outcome of the qualified drivers?

Dundeeborn

How many folks have still heard nothing? I'm still "under consideration" for the application that closed back in December. I do remember it said if you don't hear anything within 8 weeks then it's unsuccessful but I still feel they would change it from "under consideration" if that was the case.

Jamies77

JUF and Jamies77, what depot are you guys in for? As they say no news is good news, I’m sure the unsuccessful candidates are usually the first to hear. I’m sure they will get back to you’d eventually.
I was interviewed in Glasgow Central...presumably for central or Motherwell..hopefully hear this week

How many folks have still heard nothing? I'm still "under consideration" for the application that closed back in December. I do remember it said if you don't hear anything within 8 weeks then it's unsuccessful but I still feel they would change it from "under consideration" if that was the case.
I would ignore the “under consideration” shown on the online account next to your application. I received my contract of employment quite a while ago and it still shows as “under consideration”. :)

Ndlx

I had my interview on 21/3 and emailed them today as I still haven’t heard back. The reply from them is “we are still collating the results from the large number of interviews and hope to inform candidates in the next few weeks”.

Gedphones

Is it just me or is the whole process a bit arse for elbow? Why have the management interviews before the second batch of aptitude tests and MMIs? Surely it would be better to weed out people who fail the tests and MMIs before management interviews therefore not leaving people who apparently are good enough in limbo for 6 months. I still hope I get a chance further down the line but I feel like all the studying, going to depots etc to get an idea of what's what has been a massive waste of time and effort. Anyway, good luck to all those who get through the process and maybe with any luck I'll see you in future. I very much doubt it though.

pendy12

Is it just me or is the whole process a bit arse for elbow? Why have the management interviews before the second batch of aptitude tests and MMIs? Surely it would be better to weed out people who fail the tests and MMIs before management interviews therefore not leaving people who apparently are good enough in limbo for 6 months. I still hope I get a chance further down the line but I feel like all the studying, going to depots etc to get an idea of what's what has been a massive waste of time and effort. Anyway, good luck to all those who get through the process and maybe with any luck I'll see you in future. I very much doubt it though.
If you have a look back in forum to around page 60 onwards you will see a number of people get the holding pool email and then get invited for further testing after a couple of months. I wouldn't be too disheartened. I genuinely think the numbers are changing for them as company on a weekly basis and the number of drivers will be changing. I'm a half pint full kind of person though!

paepo

It makes perfect sense to carry out recruitment this way. Why waste ScotRail's resources by passing loads of people on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 assessments to then find out at interview the candidates are not the type of candidate they want to employ. Other TOC & FOC benefit as those applicants could then apply to other TOC/FOC and the companies don't need to pay for those assessments. The way it's currently done at ScotRail mean only candidates successful at DMI are progressed to Stage 2 assessments which cost money to sit and if successful at those then on to sit the MMI and if successful then a candidate has completed and passed the assessments. Most people who get that far are given a conditional job offer, a few are held in a talent pool but then usually have a job within a few months.
There are of course numerous applicants who pass all interviews and assessments and are put in a talent pool for 'six months' but get a call 2/3 years later and are offered another DMI and then a job. The assessments are valid for 5 years but currently ScotRail treat them as valid for 3 years before a resit is required.
Do not be downhearted about a talent pool email, the training school is usually full of people who were in it for a few weeks upto a few years. It's a good place to be as your application is still alive instead of dead and buried!

Ndlx

Just got an email from scotrail saying that I have been successfully at the interview stage and will be progressing to the second stage of driver assessment. Says I will be sent and invite via email to attend the assessment centre in due course. I take it this is different than what others heard when they were told they might have to wait 6 months?

Boxcar

Just got an email from scotrail saying that I have been successfully at the interview stage and will be progressing to the second stage of driver assessment. Says I will be sent and invite via email to attend the assessment centre in due course. I take it this is different than what others heard when they were told they might have to wait 6 months?

I've just got the same email. I'm hoping this means we were successful and will be sitting the mmi tests/interview as soon as a date becomes available.

golfingdaddy

Aye, it's different! Well done!

Got the same email as well, now gotta go back and remind myself what this 3rd stage (although email said 2nd??) actually is. Is it the STAR interview and reaction tests?

Glaw

Good luck guys. I would love to know what I did wrong or more to the point what you lot did more than me. It goes without saying we all visited our stations etc. I currently work in the railway and deal with signallers most nights so that’s emergency communication out the way, I drive RRVS on track and cover Perth Aberdeen upto Inverness, Keith, Thurso and all the areas in between. So I know all the stations and deal with speed restrictions, points, men working on or near the line, suicides etc honestly the list could go on. I was also in the army for 7 years so emergency situations were covered and I had some good examples for that. Network rail have a massive Fatigue regime again step by step laying out what needs to be done to tackle this in the best way. Before anyone comes on and says that I’ve just got sour grapes. I’ve not I’m just generally baffled to what is expected from a candidate. I really mean it when I say the best of luck to you all and please keep us posted on here.

Boxcar

Good luck guys. I would love to know what I did wrong or more to the point what you lot did more than me. It goes without saying we all visited our stations etc. I currently work in the railway and deal with signallers most nights so that’s emergency communication out the way, I drive RRVS on track and cover Perth Aberdeen upto Inverness, Keith, Thurso and all the areas in between. So I know all the stations and deal with speed restrictions, points, men working on or near the line, suicides etc honestly the list could go on. I was also in the army for 7 years so emergency situations were covered and I had some good examples for that. Network rail have a massive Fatigue regime again step by step laying out what needs to be done to tackle this in the best way. Before anyone comes on and says that I’ve just got sour grapes. I’ve not I’m just generally baffled to what is expected from a candidate. I really mean it when I say the best of luck to you all and please keep us posted on here.
I honestly don't know what the difference would be between folk. What I would say though is that I first applied in 2002 !!! I've been trying since then and only on this attempt have I got beyond the application sift. All I can say is keep trying mate and it will happen.