• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Gedphones

Good luck guys. I would love to know what I did wrong or more to the point what you lot did more than me. It goes without saying we all visited our stations etc. I currently work in the railway and deal with signallers most nights so that’s emergency communication out the way, I drive RRVS on track and cover Perth Aberdeen upto Inverness, Keith, Thurso and all the areas in between. So I know all the stations and deal with speed restrictions, points, men working on or near the line, suicides etc honestly the list could go on. I was also in the army for 7 years so emergency situations were covered and I had some good examples for that. Network rail have a massive Fatigue regime again step by step laying out what needs to be done to tackle this in the best way. Before anyone comes on and says that I’ve just got sour grapes. I’ve not I’m just generally baffled to what is expected from a candidate. I really mean it when I say the best of luck to you all and please keep us posted on here.
Doesn't sound like sour grapes at all. If I had your cv I'd be mightily pissed off. I'm pissed off with myself because although I "passed" the interview I know I could have done a whole lot better. Never in a million years could I have done better than yourself with all the info you provided.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

5thrail

Good luck guys. I would love to know what I did wrong or more to the point what you lot did more than me. It goes without saying we all visited our stations etc. I currently work in the railway and deal with signallers most nights so that’s emergency communication out the way, I drive RRVS on track and cover Perth Aberdeen upto Inverness, Keith, Thurso and all the areas in between. So I know all the stations and deal with speed restrictions, points, men working on or near the line, suicides etc honestly the list could go on. I was also in the army for 7 years so emergency situations were covered and I had some good examples for that. Network rail have a massive Fatigue regime again step by step laying out what needs to be done to tackle this in the best way. Before anyone comes on and says that I’ve just got sour grapes. I’ve not I’m just generally baffled to what is expected from a candidate. I really mean it when I say the best of luck to you all and please keep us posted on here.

If you believe you had all the skills they were looking for, then maybe you need to look at your interview style?

Did you convey the above points in a calm and considered manner that answered the questions you were being asked? Did you come across as someone who is willing to learn from scratch despite having railway background? Above all, were you likeable?

I seem to remember you boarded the train for your interview without knowing where you were meant to be going? Maybe this shows you were not as prepared as you should have been?

Maybe consider these things if the chance comes again. Cheers

Bigdriver

I am pretty much the same as you here ! Drive rrv’s nightly have so for the last 3 years ! Been trained on all machines unimog land rover mewps! Not only that been part of all the new electrified lines Glasgow Edinburgh Stirling area so know inside out the stuff the trains run and powered on like the back of my hand ! As some one stated you never failed the dmi you passed it! Again deal with people safety critical information every shift ! I think we have the potential to kill/hurt more people on a nightly basicis than most just with the size of machines we operate and the sheer amount of people working in and around our machines ! But I honestly think we will get a call up soon glaw

If you believe you had all the skills they were looking for, then maybe you need to look at your interview style?

Did you convey the above points in a calm and considered manner that answered the questions you were being asked? Did you come across as someone who is willing to learn from scratch despite having railway background? Above all, were you likeable?

I seem to remember you boarded the train for your interview without knowing where you were meant to be going? Maybe this shows you were not as prepared as you should have been?

Maybe consider these things if the chance comes again. Cheers
As someone who has interviewed people in my previous job - I agree with this post a lot! Interview is the time to show off your personality - willing to learn, easy to work with, will integrate with the team, likeable - not arrogant or expecting to become employed.

Bigdriver

My friend also received a email yesterday getting invited to assessment centre from reserve pool

Gedphones

Got an email..... Saying they're doing another recruitment campaign and I don't need to re-apply. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Bigdriver

Got an email..... Saying they're doing another recruitment campaign and I don't need to re-apply. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Same here mate I it’s a good thing means you will get taken to next stage when it comes around

golfingdaddy

Same here mate I it’s a good thing means you will get taken to next stage when it comes around

Not sure I really get this email some of us have been sent...do we just wait until they contact us? Do we have to get in touch with them to let them know we're still interested?

Gedphones

Just had some encouraging DM's about this. Basically we're all in the mix. It seems that there may be not enough trainers teach all the candidates at the moment. Also spoke to someone I know who works with the new candidates. He said the training school is bursting at the seams. That doesn't mean they have too many recruits, just they don't have the resources to get them all through the system at this time. Everyone should keep their chins up.....BTW this is coming from one of the most pessimistic sods around(me).

Jord85

I’m the same got this email as well as couldn’t make the interview due to out the country. Hopefully can make it if it comes around next time

ferhat

scots rail have job vacancies. It states that you have to be 45 min from the depot but has not depot information. how are we suppose to know how far we are if they are not showing the depots. anyone have any information?

thank you

Stigy

Established Member
scots rail have job vacancies. It states that you have to be 45 min from the depot but has not depot information. how are we suppose to know how far we are if they are not showing the depots. anyone have any information?

thank you
Surely they’ve given an incline? If not, call up HR and find out where Scotrail has driver vacancies?