• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MartinMc

Hi Martin Mc im attending on the 25th February too.
How are you finding the test samples??

Hi

I bought a book from Amazon for some additional tests, currently working my way through them. Still making a few errors on the Bourdon test, I am possibly trying to do them too fast.

How are you finding them?

S80mlr

Hi

I bought a book from Amazon for some additional tests, currently working my way through them. Still making a few errors on the Bourdon test, I am possibly trying to do them too fast.

How are you finding them?
Was practicing the Bourdon test earlier, used a you tube video of a timer that beeps every 2 minutes. Worked though 5 pages averaging 9/10 lines a page, only missed out 2 groups of dots.

gedu94

Did my first assessments today and found out within the hour of leaving that I passed! Hope everyone else did well! And good luck to everyone sitting theirs on the 25th!

MartinMc

Did my first assessments today and found out within the hour of leaving that I passed! Hope everyone else did well! And good luck to everyone sitting theirs on the 25th!

Hi Gedu.

How did you find the day? Can I ask how the day was structured? How long roughly did each test take.

Well done on passing

Many thanks

S80mlr

Well done on passing, hope you dont mind me asking how many assessments did you have to take and was there an interview?

Thanks in advance

gedu94

Hi Gedu.

How did you find the day? Can I ask how the day was structured? How long roughly did each test take.

Well done on passing

Many thanks

I actually really enjoyed it, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I imagined! The assessors were brilliant, they made us feel at ease, and ensured we were all comfortable and prepared for beginning each test! We started off with listening and counting low tones, then using the telephone directory, and combining both - they give you practice examples beforehand. After that, it was 5 sections of group bourdon dots, again with examples before you start. Then there was a 15 min break, back in to do trainability tests, the first was answering multiple-choice questions after studying a passage, and then the second part was the dial test. We must have started about 0945 and we were finished by 1200. Thank you very much, I hope you do well too :)

gedu94

Well done on passing, hope you dont mind me asking how many assessments did you have to take and was there an interview?

Thanks in advance

Thank you! There were 4 assessments in total, I've given some information above. There's no interview at the first assessment centre, if you pass then you will be invited to your first interview! Best of luck :)

beeman05

I actually really enjoyed it, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I imagined! The assessors were brilliant, they made us feel at ease, and ensured we were all comfortable and prepared for beginning each test! We started off with listening and counting low tones, then using the telephone directory, and combining both - they give you practice examples beforehand. After that, it was 5 sections of group bourdon dots, again with examples before you start. Then there was a 15 min break, back in to do trainability tests, the first was answering multiple-choice questions after studying a passage, and then the second part was the dial test. We must have started about 0945 and we were finished by 1200. Thank you very much, I hope you do well too :)

Where did you do these tests?

I was down in Leeds last month doing assessments with TPE so I assume Scotrail is more local to home.

gedu94

Where did you do these tests?

I was down in Leeds last month doing assessments with TPE so I assume Scotrail is more local to home.

The tests were held on Waterloo Street in Glasgow City Centre! Leeds? That is a fair jaunt away!

beeman05

The tests were held on Waterloo Street in Glasgow City Centre! Leeds? That is a fair jaunt away!

It wasn't ideal but not the worst place to drive to.

I didn't expect them to have assessments up here when most of the roles were for north England.

S80mlr

Thank you! There were 4 assessments in total, I've given some information above. There's no interview at the first assessment centre, if you pass then you will be invited to your first interview! Best of luck :)
Thanks for providing a breakdown of the assessments, it gives me a clearer insight of what to expect
Congratulations again on passing!!! Did they say when the next stage of assessments would be??

jimmyshaker

That's great, best of luck to you for Wednesday! How have you found preparing for the assessments?

Thanks for the response. Was told within a couple of hours I had passed and to wait for further instructions.

Preparing for the Bourdon test was not too bad. I tried the computer version but A - got bad results and B - the test is done on paper so it was a bit pointless. The test centre was friendly and the assessors were very helpful. The tests were done out of order as we were in on a Wednesday and the fire alarm test was scheduled for the middle of the morning.

Not sure how long I've to wait til I hear, but I'm happy to have been called in and passed the first set. We were told not to contact depots in the meantime as there were so many people sitting the assessments, but to hang around railway stations and pay attention to things.

S80mlr

Thanks for the response. Was told within a couple of hours I had passed and to wait for further instructions.

Preparing for the Bourdon test was not too bad. I tried the computer version but A - got bad results and B - the test is done on paper so it was a bit pointless. The test centre was friendly and the assessors were very helpful. The tests were done out of order as we were in on a Wednesday and the fire alarm test was scheduled for the middle of the morning.

Not sure how long I've to wait til I hear, but I'm happy to have been called in and passed the first set. We were told not to contact depots in the meantime as there were so many people sitting the assessments, but to hang around railway stations and pay attention to things.
Thanks again for your insight into the day, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I join you in passing the first lot of assessments.
How many of you were there on the day?

jimmyshaker

Thanks again for your insight into the day, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I join you in passing the first lot of assessments.
How many of you were there on the day?

There were 15 of us in that morning. A mixed bag of ages, 12 men, 3 women. Not sure if they did an afternoon session too.

Granthino7

Hi everyone, new to this thread. Recently received word that I passed the 1st assessment day on Tuesday 25th February 2020. Just looking to see if anyone can give me any advice or tips for the next stage, which for me is the interview stage? Thanks

S80mlr

Hi everyone, new to this thread. Recently received word that I passed the 1st assessment day on Tuesday 25th February 2020. Just looking to see if anyone can give me any advice or tips for the next stage, which for me is the interview stage? Thanks
Im in the same boat as you, I passed the first lot of assessments on Tuesday as well

MartinMc

Well done to you both. I passed as well, quite enjoyed the day and it wasn't half as bad as I had expected.

Roll on the interviews

MT18

Alright I passed on Wednesday, defo wasn't bad as I thought it would be and the assessor's were lovely.

Need to start preparing for this interview now good luck when it comes everyone.

BC25

Still waiting. Passed the mmi in Jan. Where did you hear about those dates?

I was told at interview that medicals would be scheduled be February & someone else mentioned that there were two courses for March & May

Granthino7

Few people recently have posted about having and passing the interview stage. Just looking for some advice or what was incorporated in the interview? Many thanks

MT18

Alright everyone, has anybody who done and passed the 1st assessment in the last 2 weeks heard anything about an interview date yet?

MarkR26

Hi folks,
Long time lurker on here.
Had my tests on the 5th of February and heard within two hours that i'd passed. I had planned on inviting those there for a drink afterwards but by the time i'd came out the loo everyone was away. How did everyone else find it?
I honestly thought i'd buggered up the last test with the gauges. I started off doing it wrong on the first 3 or 4 questions so had to go back and make some corrections.
Now patiently waiting for the next stage.