• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

MT18

I passed on the 25th, not heard anything yet mate

Hopefully hear back soon, mind you I applied May last year haha. Pretty sure one of the assessors said they were hopefully looking to start people this June.

Mark to be honest I found it quite easy, the information on here and the booklet was great help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aberdeen2925

Hey everyone, I passed the assessment day on February 4 2020 and am still awaiting a date for the Train Driver Manager interview at the Aberdeen depot.

I have been busy researching all about Scotrail and Abellio however I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up about the type of questions they will ask.

It would be very much appreciated! :)

Heres me!

Hey everyone, I passed the assessment day on February 4 2020 and am still awaiting a date for the Train Driver Manager interview at the Aberdeen depot.

I have been busy researching all about Scotrail and Abellio however I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up about the type of questions they will ask.

It would be very much appreciated! :)
If you look through this chat you will find all you need. Good luck.

pendy12

I imagine those of us waiting for a start, will be put back at least a good few months. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things. Health and wellbeing is the most Important thing just now. Can any of those currently in the driver training program provide a mn update?

One person in a driving cab only, no trainee drivers, no DTMs, no network rail. Trainee drivers have to stay at home on full pay until further notice.

MT18

Alright people, hope everyone is well.

Was waiting for an interview date and I take it everything is on hold at the moment rather gutted. But been kept busy with my own work, through all this. Fingers crossed this finishes sooner rather than later and we can get back to chasing the job we all want stay safe.

hiall

As long as their social distance guidance from the government in place, training will not be re starting. Looking at 2021 if your lucky.

hiall

Yes, I work there. No driver training can take place due to the social distancing which will be in for the foreseeable. 2 in the cab is not allowed so no training. Dis and dtms all on agreement that training should be ceased until c19 is no longer a threat to us The service has been slashed and no internal moves are happening. All current trainees sitting in the house.

Gedphones

Yes, I work there. No driver training can take place due to the social distancing which will be in for the foreseeable. 2 in the cab is not allowed so no training. Dis and dtms all on agreement that training should be ceased until c19 is no longer a threat to us The service has been slashed and no internal moves are happening. All current trainees sitting in the house.
Okay, I didn't mean it to come across as a narky question.

Highland37

Established Member
I am guessing that any more Abellio recruitment is unlikely in the coming 12 months?

Tommo42

Evening all, very new to this forum and ended up on this thread a little bit by accident having searched for trainee train driver forums online. That said, the last 10 or so pages have been a very interesting read but the information I am looking for is much more simple than the level most of you are talking so apologies and someone might be able to point me in another direction. I am at a bit of a crossroads. I'm 42 and about to go through a second redundancy in the last decade. Appreciate that with everything still pretty much in lockdown nothing will happen any time soon but I am very interested in a career change and a job as a train driver really interests me. Can anyone tell me the basics, how do I put my name forward (sounds like competition is fierce) and what is involved in the training? Any advice would be very much appreciated and who knows I might have more questions. Thanks very much in advance.

donpoku

Evening all, very new to this forum and ended up on this thread a little bit by accident having searched for trainee train driver forums online. That said, the last 10 or so pages have been a very interesting read but the information I am looking for is much more simple than the level most of you are talking so apologies and someone might be able to point me in another direction. I am at a bit of a crossroads. I'm 42 and about to go through a second redundancy in the last decade. Appreciate that with everything still pretty much in lockdown nothing will happen any time soon but I am very interested in a career change and a job as a train driver really interests me. Can anyone tell me the basics, how do I put my name forward (sounds like competition is fierce) and what is involved in the training? Any advice would be very much appreciated and who knows I might have more questions. Thanks very much in advance.
What's your local train operating company? Go to their career website and register for emails alerts for future vacancies.

pr6

Has anyone the phone number/ email for the HR dept at Scotrail. Thanks in advance.

Highland37

Established Member
I logged into Abellio's recruitment hub last night and noted that my application for trainee train driver is still under consideration, over a year after the closing date. Has anyone else noticed this?

RTNH

Hi and welcome, if it is scotrail you are interested in (and I am sure every TOC are in the same boat) nothing with be happening anytime soon. Trainees at all levels are still sitting in the house not training. There will be no recruitment for some time due to the future drop in train travel demand! I also doubt that scotrail will be recruiting until the Abellio contract is up next year and a new contract is in place. If you are interested sign up for job alerts but as I said don’t expect this to be anytime soon unfortunately.

Tommo42

Thanks a to all that have replied to my previous post. Yes it is Scotrail that's my local operating company and I thought as much in terms of a virtual stop on opportunities. But I'll sign up to email alerts and wait and see if anything comes up. Thanks again and good luck to the rest of you whatever stage you are at.

Pcb1980

Hi
Anyone waiting for a manager's interview from February heard anything from them i.e. We're still Interested! Or the likes?
Cheers

kickin aff

With the Scottish Government stating that anyone travelling on public transport from Monday must wear a face covering and ScotRail now insisting their staff must do likewise from Monday, is there a chance in cab driver training will now re start?

Gedphones

With the Scottish Government stating that anyone travelling on public transport from Monday must wear a face covering and ScotRail now insisting their staff must do likewise from Monday, is there a chance in cab driver training will now re start?
No

Stigy

Established Member
It may be different in Scotland, but certainly in England it’s a national decision, made between the union and RICF (Rail Industry Coronavirus Forum). There’s a trail currently taking place with three TOCs, although I’m not quite sure what a trial is supposed to evidence?

Albagubrath

The stumbling block is the 2 Meter Distancing! Once the distance is reduced which is looking very likely across the whole of the U.K. by 15th July the training will start up again. Watch this space.

golfingdaddy

The stumbling block is the 2 Meter Distancing! Once the distance is reduced which is looking very likely across the whole of the U.K. by 15th July the training will start up again. Watch this space.
Have you heard this from anyone or just guessing?

golfingdaddy

ASLEF are not allowing in cab driver training as the 2nd Man Seat is less than 2 meters from the driver seat.
Yeah, I know that...I meant why are you so sure driver training will recommence once social distancing is reduced? Driving instructors literally sit on top of trainee drivers so any kind of social distancing would prevent them from doing their job safely...

John Bishop

Yeah, I know that...I meant why are you so sure driver training will recommence once social distancing is reduced? Driving instructors literally sit on top of trainee drivers so any kind of social distancing would prevent them from doing their job safely...

Sitting on top of trainees? Really?
So the reduced cab distance is mitigated by PPE. If all the cab training is stopped until the virus goes, then the trainees will be off work until next year possibly more, which is clearly not practical. Once the ASLEF trial is completed, I suspect training will recommence.