• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Toastal

Hi Folks.......I see there are a few positions coming up in the rural areas. Do you think it’s only a matter of time before more central belt positions are advertised or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Many thanks in advance! T

Columbo87

Last edited by a moderator:

AS1990

Hi Folks.......I see there are a few positions coming up in the rural areas. Do you think it’s only a matter of time before more central belt positions are advertised or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Many thanks in advance! T
There are some upcoming classes that have been scheduled to begin at the training school for depots in the central belt. They used to, if I’m not mistaken advertise on a 6 month cycle for the big depots. I’d assume it’ll only be a matter of time before they advertise again. But do note, the reduction in services come next year across Scotland.

Toastal

Thanks AS1990....but are those classes not for Central belt folks already going through the system or have classes been pencilled in prior to even advertising these future positions? Despite being committed to relocate, I don’t want to apply for a rural position if I thought there was potentially some west of Scotland jobs being advertised in the near future. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts or advice....many thanks, T

Braveheart

There are some upcoming classes that have been scheduled to begin at the training school for depots in the central belt. They used to, if I’m not mistaken advertise on a 6 month cycle for the big depots. I’d assume it’ll only be a matter of time before they advertise again. But do note, the reduction in services come next year across Scotland.
I have two positions still saying ‘under consideration’. One for a trainee driver from May 2019 & another for a Shunter from May 2020.

Normally I get that they say if you haven’t heard back within so long, then you should consider that as unsuccessful. However with Covid putting everything on hold for so long, I’m wondering if this is still the case.

I’m further bewildered because I had a 3rd application that was responded to during this time for a Guard & that was rejected, so I’m sitting wondering whether to keep my hopes up or not.

I previously went for a drivers assessment & passed the test, but didn’t get past the interview stage.

Whats your thoughts?

Barra

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I have just applied for one of the current trainee driver jobs, any advice for the tests and interviews? I'm a 28yo mobile plant mechanic looking for a job change to somthing that's interested me for a while and my 2yo son is totally obsessed with trains

Eebbs1912

Plenty tips on the psychometric/mmi threads. First thing i done was buy the 3 or 4 books off amazon. Couple of Dots, SJT and a mixed one i think. Dots one certainly helped me get my speed and accuracy up

John Bishop

Plenty tips on the psychometric/mmi threads. First thing i done was buy the 3 or 4 books off amazon. Couple of Dots, SJT and a mixed one i think. Dots one certainly helped me get my speed and accuracy up

But to clarify however, the practice dots (Group Bourdon) are available on this forum free of charge and are very representative of the actual test format.

Have a good read through this thread to see what’s involved. Good luck.

AS1990

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I have just applied for one of the current trainee driver jobs, any advice for the tests and interviews? I'm a 28yo mobile plant mechanic looking for a job change to somthing that's interested me for a while and my 2yo son is totally obsessed with trains
Have you received a date for the tests? You’ll be invited to the assessment Centre and sit a bunch of tests. Plenty of amazing info on the forums as to what to expect. If successful you will be invited to an interview. If successful you’ll be invited back for the computerised assessments and a multi model interview. My advise is to take one thing at a time and don’t get ahead of yourself. Feel free to drop me a DM when you receive your dates (if you haven’t yet already) and I can try answer any questions you may have.

I have two positions still saying ‘under consideration’. One for a trainee driver from May 2019 & another for a Shunter from May 2020.

Normally I get that they say if you haven’t heard back within so long, then you should consider that as unsuccessful. However with Covid putting everything on hold for so long, I’m wondering if this is still the case.

I’m further bewildered because I had a 3rd application that was responded to during this time for a Guard & that was rejected, so I’m sitting wondering whether to keep my hopes up or not.

I previously went for a drivers assessment & passed the test, but didn’t get past the interview stage.

Whats your thoughts?
I’d email HR for clarification. There’s no harm in asking. Everything, as you know was put on hold during Covid which created a massive backlog. It’s only recently the wheels have started moving again so I’d assume they will get there. There are progressing with internals just now so hopefully it won’t be too much longer.

Eebbs1912

as a plant fitter/mech, another route for you is also driver/op on the OTM's. Still get the train driving licence but usually less applicants and they look for similar backgrounds. Thats the route I've went down for now. Currently building my driving hours now.

Braveheart

Have you received a date for the tests? You’ll be invited to the assessment Centre and sit a bunch of tests. Plenty of amazing info on the forums as to what to expect. If successful you will be invited to an interview. If successful you’ll be invited back for the computerised assessments and a multi model interview. My advise is to take one thing at a time and don’t get ahead of yourself. Feel free to drop me a DM when you receive your dates (if you haven’t yet already) and I can try answer any questions you may have.

I’d email HR for clarification. There’s no harm in asking. Everything, as you know was put on hold during Covid which created a massive backlog. It’s only recently the wheels have started moving again so I’d assume they will get there. There are progressing with internals just now so hopefully it won’t be too much longer.

Thanks, I think I’ll drop them a wee e-Mail like you said.

Paul Jones

Hi folks good luck for everyone doing the 12:30 assessment today. Just on my way in from Perth.
Well after attending my first assessment back in February 2019 I have just had an email to say I’ve passed my computer tests and mmi interview on Thursday last week. Medical on the 18th November. Happy days.

Braveheart

Well after attending my first assessment back in February 2019 I have just had an email to say I’ve passed my computer tests and mmi interview on Thursday last week. Medical on the 18th November. Happy days.
Congratulations mate.

I passed the first assessment but didn’t get past the interview. Applied again in 2019 and now I’ve been asked if I’m still interested in the position, so I’m expecting a follow-up.

Not sure if my previous passed assessment is still valid or I’ll have to go through it again.

Paul Jones

Congratulations mate.

I passed the first assessment but didn’t get past the interview. Applied again in 2019 and now I’ve been asked if I’m still interested in the position, so I’m expecting a follow-up.

Not sure if my previous passed assessment is still valid or I’ll have to go through it again.
Thank you, it’s been a long road. In my second DMI interview they said the test results validity was being extended from 3 years to 5 years so that may get taken into account. Good for thought.

TevMc96

Hi all,

does anyone know how long the Scotrail driver training is?
Looking to find out roughly how long your in the training academy etc.

thanks!

paepo

Hi all,

thanks!
Roughly speaking it's 3 months at training academy including learning different traction at depots and then you'll be sent off to your own depot and will be paired up with a DI. How long it takes to get your minimum days/hours depends on the depot. How quickly your DTM can assess you on all your traction, routes and rules determines how long it takes to get passed out but on average expect it to be 12months from your start date. Covid has shown that it can take a lot longer than that with trainees having to sit at home for months and months on end and this has more than doubled their expected training period.

AS1990

Hi all,

thanks!

It really all depends on the depot you are in for? You’ll be through at the school for 2 weeks initially to complete modules 1&2. Return to Home Depot for a week of front end turns. Back to the school for 2 weeks of module 4, then return to Home Depot for 1 week for a second set of front turns. Back for module 6 for 2 weeks, them another 5 days of front end turns. 15 days of basic Traction training, and then it’ll vary depot to depot in terms of your conversion training to other tractions, and whether or not you require mixed traction training aswell. All that can last about 7 or 8 weeks if you require a lot. At that point you’ll be ready to go out with your DI to which you need to accumulate at least 263 hours of driving (minimum 70 days) you’ll also have minimum hours to hit on every type of traction, early morning, driving in darkness etc. during your time with your DI, you will return to the school for 3 different 1 week sessions to complete other modules.

Toastal

Would somebody please be able to explain the crew schedule with respect to the Fortwilliam/Mallaig and Oban routes up to Glasgow. When the Mallaig train joins the Oban set at Crianlarich, does the Mallaig/Fortwilliam crew deadhead to Glasgow on the set or do they pbr at Crianlarich until they’re able to operate a northbound service? It would be great if someone could explain in detail how the two west highland lines intertwine operationally on a daily bases. Many thanks in advance...T

snookertam

Would somebody please be able to explain the crew schedule with respect to the Fortwilliam/Mallaig and Oban routes up to Glasgow. When the Mallaig train joins the Oban set at Crianlarich, does the Mallaig/Fortwilliam crew deadhead to Glasgow on the set or do they pbr at Crianlarich until they’re able to operate a northbound service? It would be great if someone could explain in detail how the two west highland lines intertwine operationally on a daily bases. Many thanks in advance...T
Hi there. Mallaig and Fort William crews can only work as far south as Crianlarich, where they take their Personal Needs Break. They then work the next service north.

The timetable facilitates this as their southbound train passes their northbound train at Ardlui.

Oban crews can work south to Queen Street. Likewise Queen Street (West Highland link) crews can work through to Oban.

Eebbs1912

I emailed HR to say my application has been showing assessment scheduled for some time now and that I have since passed my psychometrics etc.
They emailed me for my NI and details last week and I received an email this morning with an invite to a DMI next week in
Yoker depot. Time for a bit of reading and preperatoin.

TevMc96

Roughly speaking it's 3 months at training academy including learning different traction at depots and then you'll be sent off to your own depot and will be paired up with a DI. How long it takes to get your minimum days/hours depends on the depot. How quickly your DTM can assess you on all your traction, routes and rules determines how long it takes to get passed out but on average expect it to be 12months from your start date. Covid has shown that it can take a lot longer than that with trainees having to sit at home for months and months on end and this has more than doubled their expected training period.
Thanks mate appreciate the info!

TevMc96

It really all depends on the depot you are in for? You’ll be through at the school for 2 weeks initially to complete modules 1&2. Return to Home Depot for a week of front end turns. Back to the school for 2 weeks of module 4, then return to Home Depot for 1 week for a second set of front turns. Back for module 6 for 2 weeks, them another 5 days of front end turns. 15 days of basic Traction training, and then it’ll vary depot to depot in terms of your conversion training to other tractions, and whether or not you require mixed traction training aswell. All that can last about 7 or 8 weeks if you require a lot. At that point you’ll be ready to go out with your DI to which you need to accumulate at least 263 hours of driving (minimum 70 days) you’ll also have minimum hours to hit on every type of traction, early morning, driving in darkness etc. during your time with your DI, you will return to the school for 3 different 1 week sessions to complete other modules.
That’s great, thanks for the info mate

MartinMc

Hello all

After passing my initial assessments in March 2020 I was invited to a DMI last week, just been told I passed and have my MMI next week.

I know there is a wealth of information on here which I have searched but wondering if anyone had any specific tips or advice. Any help would be much appreciated.

John Bishop

Hello all

After passing my initial assessments in March 2020 I was invited to a DMI last week, just been told I passed and have my MMI next week.

I know there is a wealth of information on here which I have searched but wondering if anyone had any specific tips or advice. Any help would be much appreciated.
MMI is fairly generic in terms of structure and content. Have a look at the general forum and you will see exactly what you need and how to prepare for it.

AS1990

Hello all

Presumably you have the second set of assessments along side your MMI? Work through the practice materials provided, is my recommendation. I never really came across anything else that replicated the tests too well. MMI is fairly straight forward, Questions you would expect. There is a list of them on this forum somewhere, I’m sure you can find by doing a quick search. My recommendation is to use real life examples, don’t Lie as you will be caught out!

Tynie

Hello all

Congratulations and good luck!
Are an external applicant? Did you get back in touch with them to chase up your application or did they just contact you out the blue?

MartinMc

Congratulations and good luck!
Are an external applicant? Did you get back in touch with them to chase up your application or did they just contact you out the blue?
I applied in 2019, sat the first round of assessments in early 20. I then got an email inviting me to an interview with a weeks notice out of the blue.

I passed the tests and MMI yesterday and am just waiting to confirm a date for the medical.

I am an external candidate.