• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

debadzuk79

Hello guys.

Just had phone interview. I thought it went terrible. As a military man of 17 years with all the qualities required for train driver (I'm currently an Air Traffic Controller) I don't feel that I put myself across anywhere near as well as I would have liked or mentioned anywhere near as much as I had hoped.

The questions came thick and fast and I was regularly moved on to the next question. Responsibilities and roles required plus personal traits that I have to bring to the job were reasonably well answered but nowhere near as articulately as I would have liked.

The customer service questions really caused me a problem as they wanted me to talk about an individual who I had helped in a customer service basis on a one to one level. I had to say I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head.

Not a lack of preparation or not having the experience....just caught out at the speed in which she wanted me to answer but I'm guessing that's how these phone interviews work. I was so disappointed that I failed to ask any questions at the end and instead ending up apologising for my inferior interview.

Hopefully they can look past this as someone who hasn't been interviewed in over 17 years but I doubt it. Lol. My application was strong with respect to what I can offer and qualities and similarities between the job I do now. Hoping that counts when it comes down to the wire but as I said think I have blown it. Learn from it and move on.

Good luck to everyone else. Will keep my eye on the thread to see how you all do.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mick2472

Its a tough interview im ex army and currently in fire service (last 12 years) and was tongue tied should hear soon on mine. Good luck fella

Jydo

Debadzuk - I felt exactly the same as you. I reckon I have a lot of what they are looking for, Im a UPS driver & UPS are obsessed, paranoid, regimental & very disciplined when it comes to safety, driving, customer service & image. I follow all company rules & regulations to the letter otherwise you are out.......

BUT......

I felt I buckled under the pressure of the telephone interview. I prepared well & had real life examples at hand. Looking back at the interview I mentioned safety, talked about what the role involves & what I could bring plus I was grilled on customer service, I just hope they can maybe see past the nerves because it was my first time. My interviewer was ok I guess & I mentioned real people (who she also referred to by name) during my grilling. Straight after the interview I was like grrrrrrrr but looking back I did answer everything & there wasnt any long pauses or passes........im a 50/50 I reckon but its not all or nothing with me as driving UPS trucks isnt that bad

Keep yer chin up mate

D81b0y

Had my interview today, first telephone interview I've had......strange experience. You can't tell how well you are doing or how receptive they are to your answers. Like many have said, they give nothing away and give the standard answer of up to 4 weeks wait on completion. The interviewer answered some of the questions I would have asked at the end too, so I didn't ask anything and it ended a bit flat!! Good luck to anyone still to go through it.

debadzuk79

Judging from previous telephone interview threads I'm assuming we will all hear this week whether or not we have made it through.

I'm expecting a no tomorrow. Lol....good luck to everyone. I would be interested to know how many made it through to the phone interviews and how many of these posts are actually allocated internally.

RedBum

Will post my result too..... Expecting an' unfortunately this time you were unsuccessful.'
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back.

Jydo

Id like to know if the two assessments prior to the phone interview still have any relevance after the phone interview???

One thing I forgot to mention, my interviewer said to me that I was "allocated for Edinburgh" even tho my first choice was Glasgow & 2nd obv Edinburgh. Why would they even mention something like this at this stage?? Was anyone else also told this??

debadzuk79

At what point in the interview did they say that to you? Maybe it was to gauge your reaction about not getting your first choice...I don't know.

Seems strange they would tell anyone they were streaming them for either station unless the phone interviews are less important than we are making them out to be.

I don't know...maybe an expert would but it does seem a strange thing to say. Maybe they never told me because they thought 'who is this idiot on the phone...let's just get this over with' lol.

Last edited:

rocky1807

I am glad to see I am not the only one who thinks they fluffed up the interview.
I did manage to get the customer service and teamwork questions answered - I thought they would have asked safety questions or procedure examples etc.
Hopefully we start to hear soon.
I was told up to 4 weeks for the Drivers position and up to a 1 week for the FTPE conductor role.
Good Luck guys!!

llessurmada

I'm starting to think its worth worrying that i've not been contacted to set up telephone interview.

Think it was the 2nd of April i got the email saying i'd got past the assessments but not heard anything since that interview.

Good luck to everyone who has had theirs!

Jydo, do you live between Glasgow and Edinburgh? The job advert said you needed to be able to get to the depot in 45mins without public transport, if i got given Edinburgh, i wouldn't be able to get there in 45mins without breaking the speed limit!

Jydo

Im in Bellshill which is roughly 20mins away from Glasgow & 45mins away from Edinburgh by car - still think its really odd as to why she would have told me that

debadzuk79

I'm in Leuchars, St Andrews but told them I was prepared to relocate for either job.

Had Edinburgh 1st and Glasgow 2nd.

Aren't really bothered now to be honest, would just be pleased to make the next round. Still expecting a thanks but no thanks in the next few days.

To those still waiting for interviews I'm sorry to say that the girl on the phone did say to me that I was one of the last to be interviewed (1530 on the Friday). That's not to say however, there isn't another round of interviews. Highly unlikely though I would have thought.

Last edited:

MM81

I'm still waiting to hear about a telephone interview, surely they wouldn't tell you they would be in touch if they weren't going to? They would just have told you that u weren't succesfull.

rocky1807

I dont remember seeing an email saying I had passed the online tests. I just got an email come through saying they would like to speak to me and to login and select an interview date and time.
I just wonder how long they will take to come back to us about how we got on.

MM81

That's diffrent from me then rocky, my email said i had passed the online tests and they were organising next steps, not sure whats happening, that was almost 2 weeks ago. Doesn't look promising tho.

debadzuk79

I had a similar email saying that I had passed the online tests and next steps were being organised. I then received a mail asking me to book an interview time ( now wished I had picked morning). If you are unsure if you have missed an e mail cross reference with Firsts website. I am sure you have done that already but if that fails give them a ring....at least you will know either way. I can't help but think that the phone interviews are done and dusted though unless I misunderstood the girl on the phone.

MM81

Cheers debadzuk79 i'll give them a ring tomorrow, hopefully find out one way or another.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just off the phone to first, looks like my application is on hold due to the large number of applicants. They said they will be in touch but can't give a timescale, not the answer i was hoping for, but i'll just have to wait it out.

G36

Well at least that's better than your application was rejected. I'm in the same position as you and just figured my application had not made it through paper sift. Not going to give up hope just yet then. Cheers

MM81

I suppose lol. I'm not expecting to hear from them any time soon tbh, good luck anyway m8.

Jydo

Here is my process timescale so far...

Positions were advertised on the Friday, got my application in on Saturday morning, done 2 assessments on the Saturday night, get an email 4 days later on the Wednesday inviting me for a phone interview. Done the phone interview exactly 7 days later & so its now exactly a week since the phone call. Im hoping to hear maybe later this week or start of next......

G36

Any updates? I emailed them asking what was happening and got a reply that they were still organising next steps and it was taking longer than anticipated due to high number of applications

debadzuk79

Still waiting to hear back after phone interview.

They said up to 4 weeks....it's only been a week! But I did think we might have heard something by now.

Thanks for bringing the thread back up to the top of the page though :)

rocky1807

I am hoping to hear soon as I go away for a week this Thursday. Already had to knock back a trainee conductor assessment day because I can't make it.
We wont hear anything until Tuesday earliest because of the bank holiday weekend.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm waiting on the result of my phone interview as well - nerve-wracking, isn't it? I think mine seemed to go OK though, so we'll see. I'm waiting on the outcome of my DRS assessment as well, so I'm bricking it and wish they'd both hurry up! What's the next stage with ScotRail after the phone interview?

After witnessing some pretty grim behaviour from a bunch of very "refreshed" people on a train from Dundee to Aberdeen tonight, I'm starting to think being a freight driver might be better...

scotraildriver

Established Member
Maybe its just me but I'm finding this thread fascinating in that people who have had the tests/interview are giving advice to those who have not, potentially giving them an advantage over the first person. Nice to be nice but I'm finding it quite odd that people would help others potentially beat them to the job! Maybe I'm just grumpy! Anyway pointless point over.

MM81

To scotraildriver, do you think all the people who passed the online tests will get a telephone interview? And if not what would happen with their application? Cheers.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Sorry, I have no idea what will happen but if you've not heard don't be afraid to give HR a call, they are nice people!

MM81

I gave them a call last week, they just said my application was on hold due to the large number of applicants, they said they would be in touch but couldn't give a timescale.