• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Riyad

Hi guys, I have an MMI coming up with GWR next month, just wondering if anyone passed MMI, what kind of questions they can ask .

adam3131

Has anyone else here not herd that applied I applied on the 24th and still waiting to hear back also if you do hear back also if you do hear back and pass the tests does anyone have any ideas on what questions you get asked in the interviews and where I could study for that (ex) what do you know about scotrail. Are they looking for everything you can find or just quick answer on the company and there aims ?

Kendo

I had my medical on Tuesday. Got an email last week saying that they're looking at possibly April now for starting driver training at Motherwell depot.

Simon Edin

Hi,
I have also been invited to the assessment centre in Glasgow on 7th Feb. I assumed that this was from my application submitted 26th Dec/closing date 27th Dec but I logged into my applications and it actually claims that it is my application from July that has progressed to the Assessment Centre! The application from Dec is awaiting consideration.
My understanding is that on Thursday we have the tests listed in the email (Group Bourdon, Trainability 1&2 and Everyday Attention), and that interviews and any further tests will be on a later date if successful? I just want to make sure that I am absolutely prepared for anything thrown at me.
Thanks,
Simon

Kendo

Hi,
I have also been invited to the assessment centre in Glasgow on 7th Feb. I assumed that this was from my application submitted 26th Dec/closing date 27th Dec but I logged into my applications and it actually claims that it is my application from July that has progressed to the Assessment Centre! The application from Dec is awaiting consideration.
My understanding is that on Thursday we have the tests listed in the email (Group Bourdon, Trainability 1&2 and Everyday Attention), and that interviews and any further tests will be on a later date if successful? I just want to make sure that I am absolutely prepared for anything thrown at me.
Thanks,
Simon

Yes this is correct the first assessment will be (Group Bourdon, Trainability 1&2 and Everyday Attention). If you're a successful, you will then have the DMI. I would take it one stage at a time continually practise the tests that you got emailed. I found sitting at the front of the classroom better so you can clearly hear the instructions. Good luck

Jord85

hi, I am new to this fourm,, I also received an assessment date for 19/2/19 in Glasgow from an application from july last year. Wasn't expecting that today. Any information on the day I will have in store at this? thanks for any advice

Kendo

The first test was the Group Bourdon Test. This is the test which most people find the hardest and I recommend that you spend most time practising. You need to find groups of four dots. There's a downloadable online tool: https://www.railforums.co.uk/attachments/bourdon-zip.36183/. I initially started doing it online and then moved on to printing and doing them on paper. You do get used to the patterns of dots on the tool, and they are different on the actual test, although the skills are transferrable. There are various people on this forum who quote how many lines you need to complete and how many errors you can make to pass. I was doing about 9 or 10 lines on the printouts from the tool with only 1 or 2 mistakes per page and I passed. Be very sceptical of people who say you need to complete 14 or 15 lines with no more than one mistake! (Of course, some TOCs require enhanced testing, which may require slightly more.) There was also a practice section at the start. The practice grids in the information booklet were less helpful than the tool (using letters rather than dots). We then had a break while the test was marked. One person was asked into the interview room to be told that he failed so he was sent home. The next test was the Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ). This measures attention to multiple things and how well you can multi-task. Part 1 required us to listen to beeps (some with low tones, others with 'high' but I'd call them moderate-to-low). You will need to count just certain tones (can't remember if it was low or high). An example is available here, but there weren't so many tones for each question: https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/low-tones-test-track-1/ Part 2 required us to do some simple telephone directory work. I think it was finding companies in a particular trade with a rating of three stars and with a phone number with a particular area code. It wasn't rocket science and probably doesn't need much practising, but it is designed to make you work quickly. You might not finish and don't need to. Part 3 was the hardest, combining both part 1 and part 2. You hear number 1 read out and a number of beeps (only one tone this time). You need to write the number down when told. This continues. At the same time, you have a telephone directory task similar to part 2. You are told that both parts are of equal importance. You must use different pens for both tasks. When doing it, I got a good sense that I was truly multi-tasking. It's a good test, actually! The booklet gives you some activities to help you. Recognising symbols probably isn't too difficult for most people. If you have somebody who could play patterns of two tones on a keyboard or piano (written down first so the answers can be assessed), that might help you, and also if they can play similar tones while they asked you to do a reading task / telephone directory task / wordsearch. However, I didn't practise much for this test and I know some others didn't either, and we passed.

Got this from one of the other chats hope this helps

Jord85

The first test was the Group Bourdon Test. This is the test which most people find the hardest and I recommend that you spend most time practising. You need to find groups of four dots. There's a downloadable online tool: https://www.railforums.co.uk/attachments/bourdon-zip.36183/. I initially started doing it online and then moved on to printing and doing them on paper. You do get used to the patterns of dots on the tool, and they are different on the actual test, although the skills are transferrable. There are various people on this forum who quote how many lines you need to complete and how many errors you can make to pass. I was doing about 9 or 10 lines on the printouts from the tool with only 1 or 2 mistakes per page and I passed. Be very sceptical of people who say you need to complete 14 or 15 lines with no more than one mistake! (Of course, some TOCs require enhanced testing, which may require slightly more.) There was also a practice section at the start. The practice grids in the information booklet were less helpful than the tool (using letters rather than dots). We then had a break while the test was marked. One person was asked into the interview room to be told that he failed so he was sent home. The next test was the Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ). This measures attention to multiple things and how well you can multi-task. Part 1 required us to listen to beeps (some with low tones, others with 'high' but I'd call them moderate-to-low). You will need to count just certain tones (can't remember if it was low or high). An example is available here, but there weren't so many tones for each question: https://traineetraindriverinfo.com/low-tones-test-track-1/ Part 2 required us to do some simple telephone directory work. I think it was finding companies in a particular trade with a rating of three stars and with a phone number with a particular area code. It wasn't rocket science and probably doesn't need much practising, but it is designed to make you work quickly. You might not finish and don't need to. Part 3 was the hardest, combining both part 1 and part 2. You hear number 1 read out and a number of beeps (only one tone this time). You need to write the number down when told. This continues. At the same time, you have a telephone directory task similar to part 2. You are told that both parts are of equal importance. You must use different pens for both tasks. When doing it, I got a good sense that I was truly multi-tasking. It's a good test, actually! The booklet gives you some activities to help you. Recognising symbols probably isn't too difficult for most people. If you have somebody who could play patterns of two tones on a keyboard or piano (written down first so the answers can be assessed), that might help you, and also if they can play similar tones while they asked you to do a reading task / telephone directory task / wordsearch. However, I didn't practise much for this test and I know some others didn't either, and we passed.

Got this from one of the other chats hope this helps
nice one thanks for that. I am working away at the moment but im going to try and practice an hour a day until I go to the test and hopefully I will be fine cheers mate

Jord85

I cant seem to get the bourdon attachment to open on my work computer and I wont be home for another week or so, Is there anywhere else I can buy a book to practise this?

Kendo

Try the other chats, there's a few with attachments you should be able to download. Good luck

adam3131

Does anyone know if you get an email saying you application hasn’t been accepted or if you just have to wait until the eight weeks is up and forget about it ? Sorry anxious to hear a yes or a no

Jord85

Does anyone know if you get an email saying you application hasn’t been accepted or if you just have to wait until the eight weeks is up and forget about it ? Sorry anxious to hear a yes or a no
I applied in july and only received an email yesterday about assessment day

Jord85

Is there an interview at the end of assessment day as it says dress code is not casual?

Kendo

Is there an interview at the end of assessment day as it says dress code is not casual?
The first assessment there won't be an interview. That's your DMI (drivers manager interview) if you pass the first assessment at a later date. I'd dress smart for the first assessment.

Jord85

The first assessment there won't be an interview. That's your DMI (drivers manager interview) if you pass the first assessment at a later date. I'd dress smart for the first assessment.
thanks. Dress trousers and shirt or full suit? cheers