• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

TwistedKilt

Good afternoon all. I’ve got my DMI next Friday, the email says Monteith house, George square but that’s it. There’s no postcode and I’ve not been able to find it on google maps? Am I missing the obvious here?

Secondly, has anyone in here arranged a station visit for Perth? Is it easy to set up? I work at Craigentinny in Edinburgh so I’m used to being on a depot, however I would like to touch base with a potential new manager before the interview.

Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat re: the DMI. If you look on Google maps street view, it is the building next door to gregg's that is on the corner. Looks like it's two doors along. There is a red sign above the door. Hope that helps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

golfingdaddy

Good afternoon all. I’ve got my DMI next Friday, the email says Monteith house, George square but that’s it. There’s no postcode and I’ve not been able to find it on google maps? Am I missing the obvious here?

Secondly, has anyone in here arranged a station visit for Perth? Is it easy to set up? I work at Craigentinny in Edinburgh so I’m used to being on a depot, however I would like to touch base with a potential new manager before the interview.

Thanks in advance

Two doors along from Gregg's.

Paul Jones

I am in the same boat re: the DMI. If you look on Google maps street view, it is the building next door to gregg's that is on the corner. Looks like it's two doors along. There is a red sign above the door. Hope that helps.

Found it, thanks very much. What time are you in for? Good luck.

Floosie

Hi, when did you do your DMI? Does it not involve asking about you, then what you know about scotrail? Do you get asked the 6 questions eg tell me about a time? I thought that was for the MMI ‍♀️
Thanks ☺️

Bigdriver

Hi, when did you do your DMI? Does it not involve asking about you, then what you know about scotrail? Do you get asked the 6 questions eg tell me about a time? I thought that was for the MMI ‍♀️
Thanks ☺️

The 6 questions is the mmi! Yeah just about u and Scotrail with some other question

kickin aff

I found a good way to present it was to speak about abellio, then ScotRail then about the actual depot that i applied for. They will ask about transferable skills and why you want the job. Put the work in and it will pay off.

Bigdriver

I found a good way to present it was to speak about abellio, then ScotRail then about the actual depot that i applied for. They will ask about transferable skills and why you want the job. Put the work in and it will pay off.

Yeah that’s exactly what I done

Pheanne

How does that go with current applications as the application was not depot specific. I have been reading up on Abellio, scotrail figures, EGIP, current regeneration of Queen Street, 385s and HSTs. Any ideas?

kickin aff

How does that go with current applications as the application was not depot specific. I have been reading up on Abellio, scotrail figures, EGIP, current regeneration of Queen Street, 385s and HSTs. Any ideas?

Speak about what ever depot you visited and name what ever manager you spoke with. What you said is fine, include number of employees, trains etc. Cover routes for the depot you applied for or visited.

LOCO-NOMOTIVE

Hi all,

New to railforums and just wanted to say hi with my first post - I'm yet another ScotRail Trainee Driver hopeful!

Was hoping to find out if anyone that applied, specifically when the closing date was for applications was 31st May '19, has heard anything back regarding their application? Good or bad! And also how you received the communication - email, phone etc?

I know one person who applied but was declined prior to the closing date but from speaking with them, I believe that they were probably sifted out quickly due to them not having any experience/examples of being responsible for public safety.

Thanks in advance & good luck to anyone progressing through the process!

TwistedKilt

Hi all,

New to railforums and just wanted to say hi with my first post - I'm yet another ScotRail Trainee Driver hopeful!

Was hoping to find out if anyone that applied, specifically when the closing date was for applications was 31st May '19, has heard anything back regarding their application? Good or bad! And also how you received the communication - email, phone etc?

I know one person who applied but was declined prior to the closing date but from speaking with them, I believe that they were probably sifted out quickly due to them not having any experience/examples of being responsible for public safety.

Thanks in advance & good luck to anyone progressing through the process!

Hi, I applied at the beginning/middle of May with the closing date of the 31st. I got invited to the first assessment centre early in June and I'm currently awaiting DMI. I know they have an extremely high volume of applicants and are continously contacting and assessing people. I was contacted via email, just keep checking(junk as well just incase, although mine came to my inbox) and you'll hopefully hear back soon, no news is good news as they say. All the best.

LOCO-NOMOTIVE

Hi, I applied at the beginning/middle of May with the closing date of the 31st. I got invited to the first assessment centre early in June and I'm currently awaiting DMI. I know they have an extremely high volume of applicants and are continously contacting and assessing people. I was contacted via email, just keep checking(junk as well just incase, although mine came to my inbox) and you'll hopefully hear back soon, no news is good news as they say. All the best.

That's all good useful info so thanks very much for replying & well done for getting to/through the assessment centre - best of luck for the rest of the process!

DrivR331

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and like many here I am currently going through the recruitment process for the position of trainee driver. First of all, thank you for all this useful information on here, it has been a massive help to me.

I see a lot of people talking about visiting depots in preparation for the first managers interview. I remember at the end of the first assessment day the lady telling the group not to visit the depots because of the amount of applicants that were showing up previously. Did anyone else get told this?

I am worried that I show up to the interview and they ask me what depots I have visited. Do they expect you to visit depots or not? Or does it matter as long as you have done your research/spoke to current employees in the industry?

Heres me!

Nice one and well done. How was assessment centre and was that Glasgow?
Good luck with interview.
Thanks

Last edited:

Bigdriver

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and like many here I am currently going through the recruitment process for the position of trainee driver. First of all, thank you for all this useful information on here, it has been a massive help to me.

I see a lot of people talking about visiting depots in preparation for the first managers interview. I remember at the end of the first assessment day the lady telling the group not to visit the depots because of the amount of applicants that were showing up previously. Did anyone else get told this?

I am worried that I show up to the interview and they ask me what depots I have visited. Do they expect you to visit depots or not? Or does it matter as long as you have done your research/spoke to current employees in the industry?
Go to your local station and just ask about even if u only get to speak to drivers it’s better than nothing ! We were told they wouldn’t entertain our applications if we didn’t do a visit

Gedphones

Anyone any idea how long after doing your medical you should hear back? Did mine last Monday 17th and heard nothing. Don't want to pester recruitment but not knowing is annoying. Had an offer pending medical.

Taylor

Anyone any idea how long after doing your medical you should hear back? Did mine last Monday 17th and heard nothing. Don't want to pester recruitment but not knowing is annoying. Had an offer pending medical.
Have you applied for your disclosure? I heard back after I emailed them a scan of the certificate. They might also be waiting for other people's results before they decide the start date for your class.

BC25

Hello everyone,

I must've been at the same assessment day as you because I was also told this. I followed this up with an enquiry email the next day and was told that a depot visit was not necessary. Simply do as much research as you can online on the position and that is all is expected of you.

TwistedKilt

Nice one and well done. How was assessment centre and was that Glasgow?
Good luck with interview.
Thanks

Thanks! It was Glasgow yes, it was good. The assessors are really nice, they put you at ease very quickly and you can relax a bit and just work your way through the tests.

Heres me!

Thanks! It was Glasgow yes, it was good. The assessors are really nice, they put you at ease very quickly and you can relax a bit and just work your way through the tests.

Great to hear. Just need to wait and see what happens.
Once again well done and good luck.

DrivR331

Thanks to both BigDriver and BC25 for your replies. I have done my research and learned a lot in such a short period of time but I may go to a depot tomorrow, or it will play on my mind.

adam3131

Hi just wondering what the exact closing date is for applications that finished on the 31/5/19 and if there’s anything I can do to push my application (call HR) or I’ve heard people saying that you visit train station?

Bigdriver

Not entirely sure what u mean mate! The closing date is the closing date! And referring to visiting stations this is when u have done assessment 1 in preparation for the dmi interview ! Once you pass that it’s 2nd assessment and hopefully mmi ! Have u been contacted for assessment 1?

Bigdriver

Thanks to both BigDriver and BC25 for your replies. I have done my research and learned a lot in such a short period of time but I may go to a depot tomorrow, or it will play on my mind.
No worries just pm if u need any info bud

adam3131

Not entirely sure what u mean mate! The closing date is the closing date! And referring to visiting stations this is when u have done assessment 1 in preparation for the dmi interview ! Once you pass that it’s 2nd assessment and hopefully mmi ! Have u been contacted for assessment 1?
I mean when would be the last day that you might receive an email to attend the 1st assessment and thanks very much