• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

golfingdaddy

I applied last June for a job and got email in February this year for an assessment so don’t think that means your unsuccessful

Sorry, I should clarify - it means you're not successful at that time but they may be in touch later.

Nov632

How did everyone who have sat the first assessment find the tests on the day? I've got mine in a couple of weeks so just trying to practice as much as possible now.

Robbo-73

It’s up to a twelve week wait after the closing date of 31st May to hear if you have been successful or not, just to prolong the agony!

Bigdriver

How did everyone who have sat the first assessment find the tests on the day? I've got mine in a couple of weeks so just trying to practice as much as possible now.
Test were fine if u had looked over and practise just take each test as they come and listen to the lady’s taking u through the tests and u will be fine ! Only hard one is the counting the tones and it’s not that hard

Nov632

Test were fine if u had looked over and practise just take each test as they come and listen to the lady’s taking u through the tests and u will be fine ! Only hard one is the counting the tones and it’s not that hard
Cheers mate. It's listening for the tones and reading the phone directory at the same time that's worrying me a bit but hopefully it won't be that bad.

mortarman

Cheers mate. It's listening for the tones and reading the phone directory at the same time that's worrying me a bit but hopefully it won't be that bad.
Nov632, I recorded some random tones on my phone and played them while doing a task to practice, it worked for me as the tones were much slower in the assessment

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and like many here I am currently going through the recruitment process for the position of trainee driver. First of all, thank you for all this useful information on here, it has been a massive help to me.

I see a lot of people talking about visiting depots in preparation for the first managers interview. I remember at the end of the first assessment day the lady telling the group not to visit the depots because of the amount of applicants that were showing up previously. Did anyone else get told this?

I am worried that I show up to the interview and they ask me what depots I have visited. Do they expect you to visit depots or not? Or does it matter as long as you have done your research/spoke to current employees in the industry?
I didn’t visit any depots and I got the job. I was also never asked about visiting depots in my interview. This is an external vacancy for trainees - so expect to be asked about what you know about Abellio ScotRail, what you know about the job, and about the skills you have that would make you a professional and safety-conscious driver.

Don’t expect to be asked specifics about who manages what, etc, but researching your local depot, routes, and traction, would be beneficial. I would agree that if hundreds of trainees starting showing up to depots then it would probably start to upset them.

Last edited:
Go to your local station and just ask about even if u only get to speak to drivers it’s better than nothing ! We were told they wouldn’t entertain our applications if we didn’t do a visit
I’m afraid that’s a load of rubbish. It’s an external vacancy for people new to the railway - they don’t expect you to know anyone or have visited anywhere. Name dropping will not automatically make you successful.

Bigdriver

I’m afraid that’s a load of rubbish. It’s an external vacancy for people new to the railway - they don’t expect you to know anyone or have visited anywhere. Name dropping will not automatically make you successful.
They told us that at our assessment ......so not rubbish !! They only ask what research we had done at the interview and reading up on Scotrail was fine and all that was said at interview was we had visited our station and spoke to people no names were mentioned and the interviews never asked any details it was just a case of showing what research had been done.....I got a job and that’s what I done so as they say there is many ways to skin a cat

golfingdaddy

I'm afraid it's you that's talking rubbish - I was specifically asked who I had spoken to at the depot I visited as well as the other stuff you mentioned. And I am an external applicant.

You are probably right though that they are getting a bit annoyed/overwhelmed at the amount of applicants that are turning up. Maybe the latest recruits have been told that they don't need to go to a depot.

But I certainly was and did.

mortarman

How did the interviews go today then ?
Mine seemed to go well but who knows, I don't want to count any chickens or tempt fate as you really don't know until you see the result in black and white.
There were no big surprises, just the stuff that has been mentioned in the thread, Scotrail/Abellio info, details about the depot you are down for, including routes etc, but mostly about you, why you want the job, what you know about the job and why you think you have the attributes to do it well. My impression is that they want you to pass and will assist in getting the info from you if they can so my advice would be to stay calm, think logically and be yourself (ie. not too scripted) and make sure you get all the positives about yourself that you have in mind across to them.
All the best for tomorrow mate

Jord85

Mine seemed to go well but who knows, I don't want to count any chickens or tempt fate as you really don't know until you see the result in black and white.
There were no big surprises, just the stuff that has been mentioned in the thread, Scotrail/Abellio info, details about the depot you are down for, including routes etc, but mostly about you, why you want the job, what you know about the job and why you think you have the attributes to do it well. My impression is that they want you to pass and will assist in getting the info from you if they can so my advice would be to stay calm, think logically and be yourself (ie. not too scripted) and make sure you get all the positives about yourself that you have in mind across to them.
All the best for tomorrow mate
Spot on mate thanks. Some good information there Iv got some examples of attributes that I do in my current job which would come in handy and been about the depot I applied for asking questions and shown about

Fraz1

How did the interviews go today then ?
I'm afraid it's you that's talking rubbish - I was specifically asked who I had spoken to at the depot I visited as well as the other stuff you mentioned. And I am an external applicant.

You are probably right though that they are getting a bit annoyed/overwhelmed at the amount of applicants that are turning up. Maybe the latest recruits have been told that they don't need to go to a depot.

But I certainly was and did.
we were categorically told last week at the initial assessments not to visit your depot as managers had been complaining to HR that too many are showing up. We were told to research as much as we can online and try stop some train drivers while they wait for their trains at the station to ask some questions about the role etc.

golfingdaddy

we were categorically told last week at the initial assessments not to visit your depot as managers had been complaining to HR that too many are showing up. We were told to research as much as we can online and try stop some train drivers while they wait for their trains at the station to ask some questions about the role etc.

Yeah, that's what I thought might have happened. After the last recruitment drive they probably got annoyed at the amount of candidates turning up at the depots.

I managed to grab a couple of train drivers for a few minutes and they were more than happy to talk.

Theres more than enough info on this forum and elsewhere to get you through the first interview.

Good luck!

Paul Jones

Just home after my DMI today. Think it went ok, I felt as if I could’ve been a bit better as in more polished in my answers but I’ll put that down to nerves and I’m pretty hard on myself anyway. Obviously it’s up to the people on the other side of the table so we shall see. Best advice I can give based on my experience is research the role, company, the depot or station your in for in terms of routes, rolling stock etc. I didn’t do a station / depot visit, nor did they ask.

I was asked what I’d do in the event of a major incident. Having never been in that position I went for safely stop the train, call the signaller and report what’s happened, request emergency services (depending on incident) co ordinate the passengers with train staff, constantly assessing the situation with regards to train evacuation, ie do we need too, does the situation warrant it? Get the passengers to safety then the crew and finally document the events. No idea if it’s right I just tried to think about it logically.

If asked about how does a driver deliver great customer service they’re looking for communication, addressing passengers on route and at the station, being approachable etc.

They said I’d hear back in the next couple of weeks so fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone. They’re nice people. Do your research and you’ll be in with a chance. Apologies for the wordy post.

Jord85

Just home after my DMI today. Think it went ok, I felt as if I could’ve been a bit better as in more polished in my answers but I’ll put that down to nerves and I’m pretty hard on myself anyway. Obviously it’s up to the people on the other side of the table so we shall see. Best advice I can give based on my experience is research the role, company, the depot or station your in for in terms of routes, rolling stock etc. I didn’t do a station / depot visit, nor did they ask.

I was asked what I’d do in the event of a major incident. Having never been in that position I went for safely stop the train, call the signaller and report what’s happened, request emergency services (depending on incident) co ordinate the passengers with train staff, constantly assessing the situation with regards to train evacuation, ie do we need too, does the situation warrant it? Get the passengers to safety then the crew and finally document the events. No idea if it’s right I just tried to think about it logically.

If asked about how does a driver deliver great customer service they’re looking for communication, addressing passengers on route and at the station, being approachable etc.

They said I’d hear back in the next couple of weeks so fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone. They’re nice people. Do your research and you’ll be in with a chance. Apologies for the wordy post.
I was there aswell today thought it went well enough and answered similar to what you have said

K6vin

Hi, I have the assessment centre on 18th of July, can anyone tell me the structure of the recruitment process and the estimated time from starting the process till if you are successful and offered a position.

Thank you.

Gedphones

Hi, I have the assessment centre on 18th of July, can anyone tell me the structure of the recruitment process and the estimated time from starting the process till if you are successful and offered a position.

Thank you.
First set of tests are dot tests, reading a paragraph of information and answering questions on it, wires and dials test, looking up info from phone book whilst listening to tones. Think there may be another with tones.
Second stage if you get through that is the management interviews.
Third stage is computer tests and Multi modal interview. All the info is in the practice materials. For some reason I thought we did everything in one go and practiced for everything. Don't worry about practicing the computer test stuff or interview techniques just now. Just concentrate on the dots test etc and if you get through that then practice for interview.
I applied in December last year and start late July.

First set of tests are dot tests, reading a paragraph of information and answering questions on it, wires and dials test, looking up info from phone book whilst listening to tones. Think there may be another with tones.
Third stage is computer tests and Multi modal interview. All the info is in the practice materials. For some reason I thought we did everything in one go and practiced for everything. Don't worry about practicing the computer test stuff or interview techniques just now. Just concentrate on the dots test etc and if you get through that then practice for interview.

Whats your start date? I'm starting on 15th July, and am almost counting the minutes...

K6vin

Thanks for your reply mate, i did get a pdf from recruitment regarding what to practice for, and I was informed my current employer now uses the dot system when recruiting so will ask
Them for some sheets for practice lol.
Thanks for your tips I will get myself familiar with the things you mentioned and fingers crossed I’m on here in the not so distant future regarding interview tips.
Good luck when July comes