• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

@railroad578493 Hi can you elaborate on what routes and traction you spoke about was it just the ones that run from your local depot, or did you go broader than this? Cheers in advance.
Hi, I was asked quite broadly about what I knew about the company. I could have answered this briefly but I used this as an opportunity to tell them all that I knew: both in regards to things like who the MD is and who owns the franchise, but I also spoke about what traction is used at the local depot and what routes are served from the local depot. After all it’s only a trainee (entry level) vacancy so I don’t think they’d expect you to know specific technical detail, but if you can show them that you’ve done research into your local depot and you have knowledge on the traction and routes that you would be working on, then this could only be a good thing. Hope this helps and good luck.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NickyFol92

Hey. Just a quick question. If I stay in Livingston West Lothian would my Local Depot be Haymarket or Waverley? I've tried contacting Scotrail for a quick response but the call keeps cutting off.
Thanks

Highlandspring

Established Member
Bathgate would be closest to you. There isn’t a traincrew depot at Haymarket, all Edinburgh based crew book on and off at Waverley station.

NickyFol92

Bathgate would be closest to you. There isn’t a traincrew depot at Haymarket, all Edinburgh based crew book on and off at Waverley station.

I thought that would've just been a station like Livingston North (my closest), thanks for clearing that up for me and save me going down the wrong track with my research.

Thanks

Dunks1980

Was going to ask something similar as above I stay in Irvine would I be best searching all Ayr routes ? My worry would be if researching wrong depot routes etc as I’m middle ground between Ayr and Glasgow Central

Highlandspring

Established Member
The current ScotRail main line driver depots are (in alphabetical order) -

Aberdeen
Airdrie
Ayr
Bathgate
Corkerhill
Dumfries
Dundee
Edinburgh Waverley
Fort William
Glasgow Central
Glasgow Queen Street
Gourock
Helensburgh
Inverness
Kyle of Lochalsh
Mallaig
Motherwell
Oban
Perth
Shields
Stranraer
Stirling
Tweedbank
Wick
Yoker

Maximillion

Hi, I was asked quite broadly about what I knew about the company. I could have answered this briefly but I used this as an opportunity to tell them all that I knew: both in regards to things like who the MD is and who owns the franchise, but I also spoke about what traction is used at the local depot and what routes are served from the local depot. After all it’s only a trainee (entry level) vacancy so I don’t think they’d expect you to know specific technical detail, but if you can show them that you’ve done research into your local depot and you have knowledge on the traction and routes that you would be working on, then this could only be a good thing. Hope this helps and good luck.
Cheers for this, my local depot is Airdrie and the routes through Airdrie are quite easy 4 destinations some start and terminate in Airdrie and the Edinburgh waverley is right through, and class 318,320 and 334 traction.
Ive slept ate and breathed Scotrail the last week!

DriverTests

Hi, Got my final assessments and MMI this week, anyone got any pointers on what to expect and any work you can do on them:

Situational Judgement Exercise,
3 Computerised Tests on Vigilance and Perception,
Multi-modal Interview with Recruitment Assessor

Cheers

DriverTests

Situational Judgement Exercise

The WAFV Vigilance Test

The ATAVT Perception Test

The 2 Hand Co-Ordination Test

Multi-Modal Interview

Choochoobeep

Morning everyone! I had my DMI at the end of June and still waiting for an answer. Anyone else in the same position? Last correspondence I had was that I would hear by the end of July.

Simonrammy

Nothing moves quickly in the railway, I was also in on that date and even as a qualified driver I’ve not had any contact since the please bear with us email shortly after. Sit tight and keep your fingers crossed

Choochoobeep

I called and asked when to expect an update, they said 2-3 weeks. At this point, it's the not knowing that's the worst. Been almost 5 weeks already with no end in sight!!

johnd371

I called and asked when to expect an update, they said 2-3 weeks. At this point, it's the not knowing that's the worst. Been almost 5 weeks already with no end in sight!!

Guys try to be patient, they do get back to you eventually, as others have said previously nothing moves quickly and it does seem that the next in takes are a while away yet.
As for me I applied for Perth station in May 2018, I got my 1st assessment in February 19, DMI in March 19 which I was also successful with. So at present I am sitting in a reserve pool for 6 months. Which is hard going haha. The information I got was that at present there are no vacancies at the depot i've applied for. Checking emails everyday has become a daily occurrence for well over a year now haha.
Are there any other candidates from the March DMIs in the same boat as myself???

Choochoobeep

Guys try to be patient, they do get back to you eventually, as others have said previously nothing moves quickly and it does seem that the next in takes are a while away yet.
As for me I applied for Perth station in May 2018, I got my 1st assessment in February 19, DMI in March 19 which I was also successful with. So at present I am sitting in a reserve pool for 6 months. Which is hard going haha. The information I got was that at present there are no vacancies at the depot i've applied for. Checking emails everyday has become a daily occurrence for well over a year now haha.
Are there any other candidates from the March DMIs in the same boat as myself???

It was more because the last correspondence reported us hearing no later than July. Further correspondence stating a delay is all that I was looking for. Dont think it's an awful lot to ask and the person I spoke to certainly didnt seem to mind!!

I dont necessarily check my emails daily so a rough timeframe allows me to not miss anything

johnd371

It was more because the last correspondence reported us hearing no later than July. Further correspondence stating a delay is all that I was looking for. Dont think it's an awful lot to ask and the person I spoke to certainly didnt seem to mind!!

I dont necessarily check my emails daily so a rough timeframe allows me to not miss anything
I totally agree with you, it is very frustrating, but it is just a waiting game with lots of patience required I've found. My point was only to show you and others the length of time this process takes from start to wherever we finish along the journey. For some it seems to go very quickly for others it takes years. If you've had the chance to look over the 100+ pages on this thread you will know what I mean with others highs and lows. Good luck to you and everyone else on their journey.

Choochoobeep

I totally agree with you, it is very frustrating, but it is just a waiting game with lots of patience required I've found. My point was only to show you and others the length of time this process takes from start to wherever we finish along the journey. For some it seems to go very quickly for others it takes years. If you've had the chance to look over the 100+ pages on this thread you will know what I mean with others highs and lows. Good luck to you and everyone else on their journey.

Thank you much appreciated, hopefully you are successful before the 6 month point! This has been a long wait for me also, due to personal reasons had to pull myself out the process for a while. However, this time it seems to be a lot longer to find out what's going on! It's more frustrating ad people I sat the interview with have found out either way!makes you wonder why you dont know lol

Billygoat

Still waiting on outcome from initial application with May closing date, emailed scotrail and they said applications are still being looked at.....anyone else still waiting?

mortarman

Morning everyone! I had my DMI at the end of June and still waiting for an answer. Anyone else in the same position? Last correspondence I had was that I would hear by the end of July.
I'm in the same boat, just a waiting game....

Gemma123456

Hi I have my 2nd part assessment the end of the month. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on the MMI and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NickyFol92

How much detail into types of trains will I have to give during my DMI? Any pointers will be great.

paepo

How much detail into types of trains will I have to give during my DMI? Any pointers will be great.
Just what traction runs from the depot you'll be based from. Electric/diesel/both and what they are- 314/320/334/380/385/156/158/170/HST. Also the routes from the depot and all stations on the routes, the earliest and latest book on/off times for your depot and all the other stuff mentioned on this forum.
If you've been told not to visit a depot by someone at the assessment centre then observe this instruction. You could however ask a driver if you were on a train and managed to catch a driver for a minute or two before they go into/after they come out of the cab as most will be helpful as long as they have time.

xPedro

Can anyone who has done the first lot of assessments clarify something for me please?

Does the TEA-OCC test with the yellow pages/directory have tones to listen out for or is it purely a paper test? I've been practising loads of the papers tests but have come across versions on the PC with tones as well. Haven't seen it on here when I read back into the thread further.

Thanks

BRM_storm

Can anyone who has done the first lot of assessments clarify something for me please?

Does the TEA-OCC test with the yellow pages/directory have tones to listen out for or is it purely a paper test? I've been practising loads of the papers tests but have come across versions on the PC with tones as well. Haven't seen it on here when I read back into the thread further.

Thanks

One without tones then one with when I did mine earlier this year.

DriverTests

Recently passed the recruitment process for Scotrail had a conditional offer pending medical.

Does anyone know what the medical involves and do they pay attention to your BMI?

Cheers

golfingdaddy

Recently passed the recruitment process for Scotrail had a conditional offer pending medical.

Does anyone know what the medical involves and do they pay attention to your BMI?

Cheers

Yeah, they check your BMI. Not sure if they have limits or not though.

Eyesight, hearing, urine, breath test, blood pressure, ecg are all the things I can remember. You're in for about 90 mins or so.