• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnd371

Hi folks just trying to see if anyone is in the same situation. I had my DMI on the 12th of March and received the “you have passed but are placed in a reserve pool for 6 months” email on the 11th of April. I’m 5 months in to that pool and getting a bit anxty. Is anyone in the same situation???

I’m in the same boat mate. Still sitting in the pool. I’m in for Perth but no vacancies there at the moment allegedly. So just a waiting game. What station are you in for?

golfingdaddy

Do you know which part they failed on? Im watching the hazard perception videos I can find on youtube.. pretty hard to practice it only by doing it this way.

The hazard perception test was the one I was most worried about. The videos on YouTube aren't the best but they're pretty accurate.

I'll send you a DM with the advice I was given.

Bigdriver

Do you know which part they failed on? Im watching the hazard perception videos I can find on youtube.. pretty hard to practice it only by doing it this way.
I am guessing the 2 joy sticks as they started before me and I had finished for some time before she did !

Maximillion

I am guessing the 2 joy sticks as they started before me and I had finished for some time before she did !

Im more concerned just now about the perception test, but i’ve found a couple of videos so trying to practice the best i can using them. The best one the have set the clip to last 1.6secs which is no good as it is giving more time.
I found the one from the actual company who supply the tests and its in real time but only gives 2/3 clips.. better than nothing I suppose.

Nov632

Im more concerned just now about the perception test, but i’ve found a couple of videos so trying to practice the best i can using them. The best one the have set the clip to last 1.6secs which is no good as it is giving more time.
I found the one from the actual company who supply the tests and its in real time but only gives 2/3 clips.. better than nothing I suppose.
You can buy a disc from how2become.com for the hazard perception. I'm not sure how good it is but I've ordered one anyway. I bought a couple of things from them for the 1st assessment and feel they did help me on the day.

WeeCW13

Anyone on here got their first interview on Wednesday? Also anyone that’s recently passed it got any tips on what they were asked? Feel like I’m learning hundreds and won’t even need it all.. I’ve learned all about the routes of my local station including stops, booking on/off times, traction of trains that run on that line.. the usual questions why you want to be a train driver, qualities and role of train driver, learned about abellio as a company and a little on the EGIP. Thanks in advance.. :)

SM22

Anyone on here got their first interview on Wednesday? Also anyone that’s recently passed it got any tips on what they were asked? Feel like I’m learning hundreds and won’t even need it all.. I’ve learned all about the routes of my local station including stops, booking on/off times, traction of trains that run on that line.. the usual questions why you want to be a train driver, qualities and role of train driver, learned about abellio as a company and a little on the EGIP. Thanks in advance.. :)

Yeah I have my DMI on Wednesday. I’m the same trying to learn loads but not sure I’ll remember it all due to nerves etc

WeeCW13

Time you in at? If you have done the work I think you’ll be fine I’ve heard they prompt you a bit if they need to..:)

SM22

Time you in at? If you have done the work I think you’ll be fine I’ve heard they prompt you a bit if they need to..:)

12:30. I was actually booked in for last week but I was on holiday so had to get it rescheduled. Yeah hopefully that’s the case and it’s not as scary as I imagine it will be lol

WeeCW13

I’m in at 9am kinda glad to go in early and get it over and done with and can relax the rest of the day.. good luck too you both :)

Dunks1980

Thanks mate and same to yourself anyone have current scotrail shift patterns and hours per shift only thing I can’t find thanks in advance

WeeCW13

my main station is Motherwell so all my studying is on that.. I’ve also learned a little bit on queen street station re-development..

SHILTON125

know about yourself from leaving school to today, know about abellio and scotrail eg values who the managing director is, whats the role of a train driver, what incidents can you control as a train driver and what cant you control, an example of when you were part of a team, what does teamwork mean to you, what qualities and attributes do you have, transferable skills, and I was asked about protocols rules and regulations and if you are driving same route every day over a long period of time what can happen eg complacency, over confident and cut corners.

that's all about I can remember at the mo

FRC

It's annoying that there are plenty of people in reserve pool and they are still interviewing more people for the same depot.
The email I received said, they have more candidates than the vacancies to fill??

mortarman

It's annoying that there are plenty of people in reserve pool and they are still interviewing more people for the same depot.
The email I received said, they have more candidates than the vacancies to fill??
Yes doesn't make much sense, I'm in the same position and I've seen a couple of guys post that they've been in the pool for 5 months - from before the current recruitment drive which seems bizarre. What can you do though? I suppose there must be some method in the madness so I'll just continue to keep my fingers crossed and check the inbox......again lol

DaffyDuck

All the best to the gents and lady of course who were in for their interview this morning hope all went well. Fingers crossed for all of us.

Dunks1980

Just out didn’t go as well as I would have liked stuttered on a good few questions but got there in the end after some prompting so a bit disappointed but fingers crossed

DaffyDuck

Don't worry about it big chap we were all in the same boat. The format has definitely changed all we could do was adapt and try our best in the circumstances. Good luck mate.