• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Dunks1980

Just frustrating mate as I know I could have done a lot better think the old stage fright got the better of me when I went in, studied to much on harder aspects and wasn’t asked and slipped up on easy questions I should have been quick with hopefully hear back soon so I know one way or another

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

New applicant

Just frustrating mate as I know I could have done a lot better think the old stage fright got the better of me when I went in, studied to much on harder aspects and wasn’t asked and slipped up on easy questions I should have been quick with hopefully hear back soon so I know one way or another

Don’t worry to much I thought I could have done better was prompted on a few questions and still passed dmi everybody will get nervous only human

Dunks1980

Don’t worry to much I thought I could have done better was prompted on a few questions and still passed dmi everybody will get nervous only human

Good to hear well done on passing yourself I’m just annoyed with myself but I’m my worse own critic sometimes just know I could have done better but always the same after an interview

Tamw500

Had my dmi yesterday got an email today saying i was successful at interview but will be held in a reserve pool for up to 6 months

dc007

I had my dmi yesterday and received the same email saying I was successful and would be placed in a reserve pool for 6 months as they currently have more successful applicants than positions to fill. Hopefully I will hear something before it expires

xPedro

I had my first lot of assessments (paper testing) yesterday and was told last night that I had passed.
I've now been given a date for DMI in 6 days. Not a lot of time to prepare, if anyone who has done the DMI previously has any pointers or tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Dunks1980

Glad to hear some had good news unfortunately got the dreaded unsuccessful email I know I had a nightmare at my interview my own fault so no complaints good luck to everyone still in the mix

SM22

Glad to hear some had good news unfortunately got the dreaded unsuccessful email I know I had a nightmare at my interview my own fault so no complaints good luck to everyone still in the mix

I was unsuccessful too. Seriously gutted. Thought I’d done ok. But they just seemed to want more out of me with every question. Even when I thought I’d covered everything (what does a train driver do) for example

Drew94

Could anyone assist with what to cover in the dmi. Looking for up to date rolling stock numbers as finding different numbers online from different site. And any other tips if you've got them would be appreciated.

Jam00036

Emailed recruitment today to ask if my application has progressed. I’m 3 weeks from the end of the 6 month holding pool for Edinburgh and Bathgate. Was told there is “no movement at the moment”. I am completely baffled

Dunks1980

I was unsuccessful too. Seriously gutted. Thought I’d done ok. But they just seemed to want more out of me with every question. Even when I thought I’d covered everything (what does a train driver do) for example

Sorry to hear that but not wanting to sound like sour grapes I think we have been unlucky in regards to getting our DMI towards the end of the process as there seems to be a lot waiting and been put through as I say not sour grapes I knew myself I had a nightmare at the interview will reassess wether I apply again or not

BC25

Emailed recruitment today to ask if my application has progressed. I’m 3 weeks from the end of the 6 month holding pool for Edinburgh and Bathgate. Was told there is “no movement at the moment”. I am completely baffled

Did they say If they'll extend your duration in the reserve pool once your six months is up?

kickin aff

Due too the amount of drivers they have taken on this year and it's not finished yet, some depots are struggling as they do dont have enough driving instructors to take on the new trainees.

xPedro

Can someone please clarify something.

Is the DMI strictly 'general' questions like "How do you feel about working shifts" "Why do you want to be a train driver" or can it contain structured interview questions like "Tell me about a time when you have worked as part of a team"

Thank you

Maximillion

Can someone please clarify something.

Is the DMI strictly 'general' questions like "How do you feel about working shifts" "Why do you want to be a train driver" or can it contain structured interview questions like "Tell me about a time when you have worked as part of a team"

Thank you

Do your knowledge on your local routes, traction and make sure your knowledge of Scotrail is good, but know numbers of services operated per day passengers per yr etc.. if you can talk about yourself and emphasise safety, procedures and rules- have a knowledge of scotrail, and answer any questions they have truthfully and elaborate if able to.

xPedro

Do your knowledge on your local routes, traction and make sure your knowledge of Scotrail is good, but know numbers of services operated per day passengers per yr etc.. if you can talk about yourself and emphasise safety, procedures and rules- have a knowledge of scotrail, and answer any questions they have truthfully and elaborate if able to.

Thank you for the reply. I've got my stats and numbers down and am working on memorising the routes, I just wasn't sure how much time to spend on the structured interview questions or whether I should focus mainly on the Company and the numbers.

Maximillion

Thank you for the reply. I've got my stats and numbers down and am working on memorising the routes, I just wasn't sure how much time to spend on the structured interview questions or whether I should focus mainly on the Company and the numbers.

Get a book take notes as you revise memorise it thats the best advise I can give mate.. but sell yourself also.

paepo

I think once it’s up it’s up
Wrong, if a position arises you're suitable for you'll be contacted to see if you're still interested. If psychometrics are less than 3years old (ScotRail take them to be valid for 3 years not the 5 years that they're actually valid for) you won't need to resit but DMI will be a resit as interviews are only valid for 6 months (MMI is 3 years as part of Stage 2 assessments).
There have been quite a few new drivers in the past year or so that have come through from the big 2015 recruitment drive who were placed in the talent pool so don't get hung up on the 6 month thing.

mydreamjob

Hi

It’s a long drawn out process with hundreds of applicants so hang in there and with a bit of luck you’ll get a response before the 3month window. If not many tocs have an ageing workforce that they need to address so more vacancies will crop up in future no doubt. Good luck
thank you that's encouraging - although I'm no spring chicken!

GS17

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me with advice throughout this process from the 1st assessment to the 2nd Assessment and MMI today I have pass all tests and interviews and am awaiting a date for my medical once again thanks everyone! Big mention for Big Driver, UpsideDownFlyer and Junk_girl! Major big thanks for taking the time to help me! All the hardwork has paid off!

Boris533

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me with advice throughout this process from the 1st assessment to the 2nd Assessment and MMI today I have pass all tests and interviews and am awaiting a date for my medical once again thanks everyone! Big mention for Big Driver, UpsideDownFlyer and Junk_girl! Major big thanks for taking the time to help me! All the hardwork has paid off!
Congratulations mate!! What depot you in for?

mortarman

Well done mate