• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GS17

To anyone who has already started can you give me some insight into how things are like how many weeks your at atrium court for induction and learning then when do u get put at your depot? Also when first starting what are the shifts like roughly, is it 9-5 Monday till Friday or that? Many thanks to anyone that can help!

kickin aff

To anyone who has already started can you give me some insight into how things are like how many weeks your at atrium court for induction and learning then when do u get put at your depot? Also when first starting what are the shifts like roughly, is it 9-5 Monday till Friday or that? Many thanks to anyone that can help!

Your initial training involves around 10 weeks at atrium court. This includes one week induction, one week track safety and the rest of the time is working through the railway rules. Your rules are broken up by doing a week of front end turns from your home depot. This is effectively shadowing a driver. You do this 3 times. You then do 3/4 weeks traction training covering the trains you will drive once at your deport. Atrium court is normally mon-fri, 0900-1600 hrs.

Only after all this is done will you be working from your depot with a driving instructor.

GS17

Awesome! Thanks alot mate really do appreciate the insight into things! Thanks!

Rightontyne19

Don't want to hijack thread but trying to find decent books about life as a railwayman (before trying to join). Thought some recent applicants might have read up on jobs. Anyone read these? Are they accurate? Also posted this in the Books thread so PLEASE IGNORE if it holds up this thread.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Do-Tr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2AJ73A8VT1ENBRMDGDT7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-Away...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=285KB50FFZFE7T2HVW9D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Leice...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2AJ73A8VT1ENBRMDG

TFJ

Hi

Anyone else have their DMI yesterday? How do you think it went?

yeah, me! I felt very unwelcome from the word go. Both interviewers put on almost comical poker faces, were not interested in hearing the research I had carried out and even made sarcastic remarks about it, none of my previous experience seemed to be good enough. I explained my previous shift working for many years and their response was “aye but you haven’t done railway shifts”. What is the point in advertising externally if certain managers only want people who already work in the railway? Anyway, from a couple of your posts I think I might know who you are and hope yours went better than mine All the best with the rest of the process

LoogaBarooga

yeah, me! I felt very unwelcome from the word go. Both interviewers put on almost comical poker faces, were not interested in hearing the research I had carried out and even made sarcastic remarks about it, none of my previous experience seemed to be good enough. I explained my previous shift working for many years and their response was “aye but you haven’t done railway shifts”. What is the point in advertising externally if certain managers only want people who already work in the railway? Anyway, from a couple of your posts I think I might know who you are and hope yours went better than mine All the best with the rest of the process
I work for ScotRail and I've had a similar experience in a driver interview so you're definitely not alone.

GS17

Not having a go or anything mate wish everyone who applies all the best, did you research the driver shifts at all, like start time finish time?

What kind of shift patterns they do, transferable skills, how you would cope with situations, fatigue and another important part, how you had the support from family and and how you would cope with the intense training?

If you did then fair play mate, I felt the same just someone sitting staring at me like a judge in a court and the other one asking most questions thought I totally messed it up but was lucky enough to pass and then went on to eventually get the job.

Not got a start date yet but will do in all good time.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTNH

What time was your interview? Who interviewed you?

TFJ

I work for ScotRail and I've had a similar experience in a driver interview so you're definitely not alone.
That’s almost reassuring in a strange way but also disappointing that it goes on. I’ve been told they are even harder on internal candidates so it’s all very odd behaviour, but I suppose it all depends on the two people who sit across from you on the day, can’t tar everyone with the same brush.

TFJ

What time was your interview? Who interviewed you?
I won’t completely hang them out to dry like they did to me :D I’d like to think I have more class than that, but I will give you a big clue, it was early, so if yours was early too that narrows it down to 2 panels...

RTNH

I won’t completely hang them out to dry like they did to me :D I’d like to think I have more class than that, but I will give you a big clue, it was early, so if yours was early too that narrows it down to 2 panels...

Well fingers crossed it was worth it and we get good news soon! Can’t stand the waiting would rather they just tell us!

TFJ

Well fingers crossed it was worth it and we get good news soon! Can’t stand the waiting would rather they just tell us!
I’ve already had my reply though that’s what I’m saying :D they said it would take a week or 2 to hear back but they were able to decide within a few hours that I was unsuccessful.

RTNH

I’ve already had my reply though that’s what I’m saying :D they said it would take a week or 2 to hear back but they were able to decide within a few hours that I was unsuccessful.

Aw sorry to hear that. That’s rubbish

Duffman76

On Moderation

---------------------------------
I got bagged at a DM interview last year.... So I know how you feel.
On the plus side I'm now employed within the company, after another few attempts, in a different role....
I hope you get a chance to try again.....

LoogaBarooga

That’s almost reassuring in a strange way but also disappointing that it goes on. I’ve been told they are even harder on internal candidates so it’s all very odd behaviour, but I suppose it all depends on the two people who sit across from you on the day, can’t tar everyone with the same brush.
I've had numerous interviews for a variety of positions in ScotRail and the style of interview has been different every time.

If you get to the interview stage you more or less have the skills to do the job. I think whether you actually get it or not has a lot to do with luck and timing.

mw1967

Does anyone know the booking on/off times for train drivers at Glasgow central? Also, can anyone confirm the traction type? Obviously I'm aware of the EGIP, but are there other traction types? Thank you
Booking on/off times vary with link 1 and 2 but earliest book on is around 0430 and latest book off around 0145. Traction again depends on the link (as do the routes signed for). 380s, 385s, 314s, 318s, 320s 156s(link 2 only), all work out of Central.

TFJ

Not having a go or anything mate wish everyone who applies all the best, did you research the driver shifts at all, like start time finish time?

What kind of shift patterns they do, transferable skills, how you would cope with situations, fatigue and another important part, how you had the support from family and and how you would cope with the intense training?

If you did then fair play mate, I felt the same just someone sitting staring at me like a judge in a court and the other one asking most questions thought I totally messed it up but was lucky enough to pass and then went on to eventually get the job.

Not got a start date yet but will do in all good time.
Yeah I did mate, but on the shifts I was told what I had found out was wrong and that I should’ve been hanging around the platforms watching drivers come and go to determine their shift times. I described plenty of transferable skills, even after being interrupted, I was able to answer every situation they gave me and provide similar situations I’d been in previously, as well as years coping with fatigue and examples of previous jobs which have involved a lot of training and retention of critical information. I really don’t think knowing the typical start and finish times of a job is what an interview should hinge on, especially when I had made it clear I was adaptable and flexible to all kinds of shifts and had a proven record of doing so but maybe I imagined all this and in reality I just sat there in silence, haha!

TFJ

---------------------------------
I got bagged at a DM interview last year.... So I know how you feel.
On the plus side I'm now employed within the company, after another few attempts, in a different role....
I hope you get a chance to try again.....
Alls well that ends well in your case then :D

TFJ

I've had numerous interviews for a variety of positions in ScotRail and the style of interview has been different every time.

If you get to the interview stage you more or less have the skills to do the job. I think whether you actually get it or not has a lot to do with luck and timing.
Yeah that’s the frustrating part, from speaking to other applicants there doesn’t seem to be much consistency with the interviews. Maybe they just weren’t morning people.

Yeah that’s the frustrating part, from speaking to other applicants there doesn’t seem to be much consistency with the interviews. Maybe they just weren’t morning people.
For my dmi it was a box ticking exercise from pre selected questions they were reading from.

Braveheart

I was in the same boat. I’d done so much research it was untrue. I’d even offered up on but of information on the Electrification going on & 2 seconds later they asked me the question about where it starts and ends...but in a different way. It made me think I’d misunderstood the question because I’d just offered them that info, then when I said I didn’t know, they gave me the very answer I’d previously given. This pissed me off as it made me feel they weren’t listening to me.

I’m still quite bitter about my interview as I felt I did more than enough & even my friend who is a driver with ScotRail said I’d given them more info than he did when he got the job. I told him what they asked & my replies & he thought I was a certainty to get in....yet I’m still trying.

It does leave a bad taste in the mouth.