• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

LoogaBarooga

75% off walk-up fares. ScotRail staff can travel on the sleeper for free too but availability is very limited so get that booked early.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trained

Hi all,

I have MMI coming up - can anyone who has had MMI recently advise on what questions were asked?

Any info appreciated.

GS17

Quick question if anyone can answer it for me would be a good help. Where would u be able to park your car if your based at central Glasgow? I know shields and corkerhill have depots and can park your car their but little bit unsure if your based at central where to park the car cause if your on an early shift there is no public transport that early on and late finishing around 01:00 theres not much either.

mw1967

Quick question if anyone can answer it for me would be a good help. Where would u be able to park your car if your based at central Glasgow? I know shields and corkerhill have depots and can park your car their but little bit unsure if your based at central where to park the car cause if your on an early shift there is no public transport that early on and late finishing around 01:00 theres not much either.
Staff can apply for parking permit for car park located near the station accessed via Midland St. This is done via Network Rail offices in Central Station, get yourself on the waiting list for a space.
In the meantime, I think the closest street without parking restrictions is Salkeld St on the south side of the Clyde, about 15 min walk from the station.

paepo

May i ask what the first few weeks involve? I'm pretty nervous and really don't know what to expect! Thank you :) :)

First week will be company induction including fire, first aid, manual handling, general company do & don't, HR will visit and take questions and is really just a welcome and get to know others in your class in a relaxed, slow paced environment.
2nd week you'll be joined by any internal candidates who will be in your class (that obviously don't need an induction) and you will do PTS which is easy going and will include a depot visit to do emergency protection and the week finishes with the little test which you've covered during the week.
3rd week will be learning signalling and then out for a week or 2 of cab turns (ideally sit in with an allocated DI or just with any driver who can take you) and take down notes and fill out the booklet the training academy will have given you.
It's not rocket science, pay attention when in class and then it makes sense when you see it out the front window of the train.
All the best, you'll enjoy it once you start!

paepo

Hey guys just curious What qualification do scotrail look for applying for a train driving role Thanks

Basic literacy.
After that, no qualifications I can think of. You don't even need to have a driving licence.

You could have X amount of degrees in varying disciplines but it won't count for much if you don't have demonstrable qualities they are looking for.

RTNH

Hi

anyone starting on Monday? Has anyone not filled in the New employee form they sent. I have lost mine, still have my contract just can’t find the forms, if anyone has them would you be able and willing to email me a copy.

RTNH

Hi

anyone starting on Monday? Has anyone not filled in the New employee form they sent. I have lost mine, still have my contract just can’t find the forms, if anyone has them would you be able and willing to email me a copy.

Anyone able to assist with above. Even if you have filled it in would you be able scan it covering all your details.

thanks

Taylor

Anyone able to assist with above. Even if you have filled it in would you be able scan it covering all your details.

thanks
You'll be able to get a new form when you start just ask on Monday. HR probably won't collect the completed forms till later in the week.

dc007

I passed my DMI in August and was advised that I was on a reserve list for up to 6 months. So far have not heard anything.
Is anyone else in the same position?

BC25

I passed my DMI in August and was advised that I was on a reserve list for up to 6 months. So far have not heard anything.
Is anyone else in the same position?
Yeah I passed in August too and haven't heard anything either...

kickin aff

The governments decision to strip Abellio of the ScotRail franchise I suspect will have a knock on effect for those sitting in pools. I dont see Abellio spending any more money on training or indeed anything else because they are losing the contract in the future. Cannot see any further recruitment over the next 2 years until another company is awarded the contract or into public ownership.

Supertrains19

Kickin Aff was thinking the same although they still need to provide a service for 3 years so may still have some money in the pot nobody will know until those in pools start getting letters to say recruitment is on hold or worse still closed.

Just watch this space I suppose.

Gedphones

Not sure if true but heard rumours there is going to be an intake of 180 drivers next year. I was in the same boat and am 6 months into training now so keep your chins up.