• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I am holidaying in Scotland in late May.

If I am to get a train from Newtonmore/Kingussie to Wick (via Inverness), what will the tracion be for the two legs please?

Similarly, from Newtonmore/Kingussie to Aberdeen (via Perth).

Just wondering what stock I will be able to enjoy / have to endure!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
170s and 158s (it will definitely be a 158 north of Inverness). It is possible to pick up a HST between Perth and Inverness if your times fit in with the daily EC service to/from Inverness but it will be in the evening northbound and the morning southbound.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
170s and 158s (it will definitely be a 158 north of Inverness). It is possible to pick up a HST between Perth and Inverness if your times fit in with the daily EC service to/from Inverness but it will be in the evening northbound and the morning southbound.

Thanks for the speedy response.

What are the interiors of the 158s / 170s like in Scotland compared to what we have on Northern/EMT and TPE down here in Yorkshire?

Will they have catering on them? If so, what sort?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What are the interiors of the 158s / 170s like in Scotland compared to what we have on Northern/EMT and TPE down here in Yorkshire?

Pretty much the same as far as I'm aware. I think the Far North Line 158s have had some modifications to account for the long distance but I don't know what they might be (also ScotRail 158s don't have the really soft low back seats you sometimes get on Northern 158s). But there isn't anything radically different about them from any other member of their classes.

Will they have catering on them? If so, what sort?

They should have trolleys on all the services in that part of the world.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Pretty much the same as far as I'm aware. I think the Far North Line 158s have had some modifications to account for the long distance but I don't know what they might be (also ScotRail 158s don't have the really soft low back seats you sometimes get on Northern 158s). But there isn't anything radically different about them from any other member of their classes.

They should have trolleys on all the services in that part of the world.

Thank you very much :D

The SR 158s used north of Inverness are pretty good - comfy seats and quite good legroom if you get an airline style seat (usually at a table anyone bigger than an Oompa Loompa ends up kicking whoever's sat opposite whenever try to get comfortable). And as far as I know 1st class is still declassified - just beware the irritating curtain flapping around like a seagull gone mad!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Scotrail Fleet

170s - just like any other national express ordered ones
158 highland. Decent refurb, seats like EMT 158 or Great western HSTs. Lots of tables
158 Edinburgh. Absolutely awful, Richmond seats, no TLC since national express days.

Pumbaa

Established Member
The Highland 158s are great.

One thing - first train of the day to Wick (0736?) has no catering throughout, and the last train of the day from Wick has no catering for the second half of the journey.

Scotrail Fleet

170s - just like any other national express ordered ones
158 highland. Decent refurb, seats like EMT 158 or Great western HSTs. Lots of tables
158 Edinburgh. Absolutely awful, Richmond seats, no TLC since national express days.

Do you think the EDB units will get an interior refurb when they get resprayed? I've only travelled on them once or twice when they run periodically on the Far North (very rare occurence though).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Do you think the EDB units will get an interior refurb when they get resprayed? I've only travelled on them once or twice when they run periodically on the Far North (very rare occurence though).

Not heard any plans myself, may get new seat covers line 158869 did. I don't think they will get much as I expect the will get heading into England in 2016 following EGIP completion.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It should be 170's to Inverness and 158's from there, as others have already said.

We found the 158's very comfortable on our trips to Kyle and Wick. Don't forget that first class will be declassified.

Liam

Established Member
The 1335 Edinburgh - Inverness and a balancing working is 3x 158s

Must have increased recently? It used to be 2x158 or 158+170.

This service is operated by Inverness units, so much nicer than Haymarket units, but first class has very little over standard. No door between first and standard, all you get is a lamp and a socket and a slightly more comfy seat.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
yes same seating but more space and at a table, a plug.
Watch out for the 10:35 off EDB, A prime candidate for a pare of Haymarket based 158s. Occassionally throws out the X northern 1 with soft seats but more of en than not its an NX Scotrail interior

Failed Unit

Established Member
Sorry I meant about the first class on Inverness units :)

Yes for the premium you get a nice table light, slightly different colour trim on exactly the same seat. Definately worth just buying you refreshments and sitting in the rest of the train! Unless you need curtains that is.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
We are just going for an out and back trip. Ideally I want to go to Wick so we do both tracks from Georgemas Junction...

Can anyone say what there is to do in Wick please (in an hour!) or is there more to do in Thurso?

Really looking forward to it.

How is the catering on Scotrail Highland line? Is it the same on all Scotrail trains?

We leave inverness on the 1038 to Wick and return on the 1600.

We are also doing Newtonmore to Aberdeen - out via Perth, return via Inverness. Same units again? Catering?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who provides the catering on Scotrail? Is it internal, Rail Gourmet or another?

Trying to find a menu or price list on the Scotrail site, but can't. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's trolleys throughout and I believe that ScotRail run the trolley's themselves but the stuff on it is sourced by Rail Gourmet. As for units I think that it will be a 158 on that service but the only other thing it would be is a 170.

As for menu's I can't find one but it's going to be the usual sort of thing that you get on trolleys, hot drinks, sandwiches, crisps, soft drinks, probably some alcoholic beverages. Nothing that fancy.

headshot119

Established Member
It's trolleys throughout and I believe that ScotRail run the trolley's themselves but the stuff on it is sourced by Rail Gourmet. As for units I think that it will be a 158 on that service but the only other thing it would be is a 170.

As for menu's I can't find one but it's going to be the usual sort of thing that you get on trolleys, hot drinks, sandwiches, crisps, soft drinks, probably some alcoholic beverages. Nothing that fancy.

I was on an Inverness bound 170 last night, the trolley got on at Perth and as you described.

Masboroughlad

Established Member

Supermarket before we go then! Picnic on board and chippy at Inverness on the way home?!

Status
Not open for further replies.