• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Weekly Season Bought Onboard No Photocard Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
For the first time ever I bought a Weekly Season Ticket valid between Edinburgh and Falkirk on the train this morning.

When I have previously purchased one at the Station either from the TVM or Ticket Office the Photocard Number has to be entered by you (TVM) or the ticket clerk and appears on the ticket.

The one the guard sold me on the train does not have the photocard number on. He did look at my photocard before commencing the transaction.

Does this mean I don't need the photocard in conjunction with this ticket ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janb

It just means the ticketing software he was using doesn't force the user to input the photocard number, and he couldn't be bothered doing it. You will still need to present a photocard and paper ticket in combination though.

mafeu

There is no box on the ticket to facilitate such an action.

Oh right. When I used to purchase onboard, there was always a box for me to write in. Admittedly that was years ago and TOCs are using different appliances now. Perhaps worth writing on anyway in case the ticket goes missing.

Butts

Veteran Member
It just means the ticketing software he was using doesn't force the user to input the photocard number, and he couldn't be bothered doing it. You will still need to present a photocard and paper ticket in combination though.

It just says "7 day Season" there is no mention of having to use it in conjunction with a photocard. As the photocard number is not on there if it is required to be produced who is to know whether it's mine or someone elses ?

All seems a bit slapdash to me and open to abuse - ie ticket sharing.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Technically your ticket is not valid unless your name & the photo card number are written on the ticket.

It is possible for the operator to bypass the name issue by selecting "no name" on the system however a photo card number must be input otherwise the system will not let you proceed. Check your ticket carefully to see if the operator has not lazily input punctuation marks to dupe the system.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Technically your ticket is not valid unless your name & the photo card number are written on the ticket.

It is possible for the operator to bypass the name issue by selecting "no name" on the system however a photo card number must be input otherwise the system will not let you proceed. Check your ticket carefully to see if the operator has not lazily input punctuation marks to dupe the system.
it all systems have this safeguard.

janb

So does your photocard end in 5514? If so, looks like they have just entered partial photocard number.

Butts

Veteran Member
So does anyone know how he was able to issue a Season Ticket with no photocard number on ?
It wasn't queried by anyone who checked it during the week of validity.

Status
Not open for further replies.