• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

scotrail winter timetable 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything being announced officially on new services/extra stops and additional trains? I know its too early too say but have scotrail and transport Scotland come to a agreement on preparation to the new timetable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Anything being announced officially on new services/extra stops and additional trains? I know its too early too say but have scotrail and transport Scotland come to a agreement on preparation to the new timetable?

I have heard that Queen Streets will be half hourly all day on Sundays

p123

I have heard that Queen Streets will be half hourly all day on Sundays

I assume this is Edinburgh to Queen St? If so, it's very welcome! Going to Edinburgh on a Sunday morning is a nightmare at the moment.

p123

Hurrah! At long last!

Always seemed silly that Glasgow to Edinburgh via A>B had a half-hourly service on a Sunday that started earlier than the main line!

Scotrail84

Established Member
]Hurrah! At long last![/B]

Always seemed silly that Glasgow to Edinburgh via A>B had a half-hourly service on a Sunday that started earlier than the main line!

Well why not just use that service then if your travelling direct to/from Edinburgh?? I reckon they should leave the Qsts as they are.

BTW this is by no means as confirmed as happening.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I assume this is Edinburgh to Queen St? If so, it's very welcome! Going to Edinburgh on a Sunday morning is a nightmare at the moment.

I heard this will be trailed in August, I just hope they do just make it half hourly with 3 cars as this will be no better then what we have now in terms of capacity. I have seen people left behind on the current service on Sunday mornings.

Heard that the calling pattern might change slightly between aberdeen and dundee, does anyone know more about this?

rail-britain

Established Member
Heard that the calling pattern might change slightly between aberdeen and dundee, does anyone know more about this?
Basically fewer stops, for faster journey times between Aberdeen - Dundee - Glasgow / Edinburgh
However the stops that are retained will be more regular and removes some of the duplication
Nestrans didn't seem too impressed, but personally they aren't very proactive when it comes to rail projects

Will broughty ferry retain its stops once the trial finishes and could monifieth have a similar trial to broughty ferry in December? Could the 0600 carnoustie to dundee get extended to either Glasgow or Edinburgh?

I know this is a stupid question but can't golf street, Barry links and balmossie just close as they have low passenger numbers of around 100 passengers a year. This means the 1737 Edinburgh to aberdeen service leaves earlier from edinburgh to about 7 minutes meaning it'll depart dundee at 1840 without clashing with the 1711 Glasgow to carnoustie if it runs late. 1711 Glasgow to carnoustie runs to the current times throughout but arrives at carnoustie 1910ish missing out golf street, Barry links and balmossie which will close. The 0600 carnoustie to dundee service will arrive at dundee at 0620ish and either gets extended to Glasgow or Edinburgh subject to passenger numbers on both services.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's quite a task to close stations, it's not something you do overnight either. As for the changes to / from Edinburgh, it would depend on paths - for all we know a path at 1737 may be the only one available, so nothing would be gained Edinburgh-Dundee with regard to the time it leaves. As for in the morning southbound, it depends on paths again and where the stock's needed - it seems like quite an extension!

rail-britain

Established Member
It's quite a task to close stations, it's not something you do overnight either
Perhaps ScotRail could consider what has happened to several of the smaller stations along the WCML, such as Norton Bridge
Officially this station is still open, but there is no longer a bridge, so no public access, and no rail services
I've seen another station recently that is in good upkeep, yet it too is fenced off with signs that a local bus is available from the main gate

However, if franchise includes specific service levels from these stations then they have no choice but to serve them
Personally, I too have never seen the point of retaining these smaller stations between Broughty Ferry and Arbroath
It really is a two edged sword, the service is poor so few people use it, if the service was better then it may be better, but the previous and current demand does not confirm this

michael769

Established Member
I think Scotrail would have a massive struggle to convince Transport Scotland to close a station.

The September changes are useless, let's hope the popular 0754 kirkcaldy to edinburgh service is reinstated in December.

They are some changes in ayrshire and don't forget paisley canal becomes electric as well which will see the introduction of the 314s and 380s. Will the 156s still operate on the line after december?

Any other changes being announced yet?

michael769

Established Member
Interesting that the CIF schedules are mainly for the full 12 months again. I thought they only dropped the summer timetable change this year because of the Olympics?

sdrennan

anyone know why they are moving the Glasgow to Paisley Canal Trains to depart 4 mins later in both directions

John55

The September changes are useless, let's hope the popular 0754 kirkcaldy to edinburgh service is reinstated in December.

They are some changes in ayrshire and don't forget paisley canal becomes electric as well which will see the introduction of the 314s and 380s. Will the 156s still operate on the line after december?

Any other changes being announced yet?

The 07:54 is shown in the new timetable on the Scotrail website and on NRE. Have you been misled by the loop taking longer one way than the other so journey planners miss out some trains as there are faster journeys available going the other way?

greatkingrat

Established Member
anyone know why they are moving the Glasgow to Paisley Canal Trains to depart 4 mins later in both directions

I imagine it is a knock-on effect of the increased frequency on the Ayr line.

There will be two stoppers an hour to Irvine (one continuing to Ayr) calling at all stations from Paisley Gilmour St. This will allow the Ardrossan/Largs trains to run semi-fast calling at Paisley, Johnstone and either Dalry or Glengarnock.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Isn't there some discontent in Paisley as Transport Scotland etc want to run 2tph each way non-stop through Gilmour St (to Ayr)?

EDIT - Yep, xx00 and xx30 are first stop Kilwinning, then main stations to Ayr, with 2tph (1 fast, 1 stopper) at Barassie.

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
Yes, the two fast Ayr trains will now be first stop Kilwinning. So although Gilmour St will still have the same number of trains to Glasgow, anyone travelling Paisley - Ayr will be the big loser with 1tph taking 55 min, instead of 2tph taking 41/43 min.

The new December timetable for ScotRail (and the rest of the network) is now up on Open Train Times.

You will need to manually change the URL to get the December data, eg
http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/EDB?day=10&month=12&time=0800&year=2012

Looked at carnoustie, nothing much has changed until 1700 where are two new services starting/terminated at arbroath (1610 Glasgow to dundee is extended meaning the 1629 Edinburgh to inverurie service no longer calls at broughty ferry and carnoustie) the 1842 dundee to Edinburgh service starts at arbroath at 1819.

Then went to look at Sunday, 3 new aberdeen to Edinburgh services and back are introduced, all calling at broughty ferry, for the first time since when?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Looked at carnoustie, nothing much has changed until 1700 where are two new services starting/terminated at arbroath (1610 Glasgow to dundee is extended meaning the 1629 Edinburgh to inverurie service no longer calls at broughty ferry and carnoustie) the 1842 dundee to Edinburgh service starts at arbroath at 1819.

Then went to look at Sunday, 3 new aberdeen to Edinburgh services and back are introduced, all calling at broughty ferry, for the first time since when?

All good news. However I think it may benefit the 16:29 ex EDB to miss DEE also - or at least set down only? It does get frightfully busy at times and one can struggle to get a seat!

tbtc

Veteran Member
So additional EMU services to Ayr, plus additional EMUs needed for the conversion of the Paisley Canal service, but there's not been any additional EMUs delivered recently, so presumably this means some shorter EMUs on other services?

jw

Remember that the Class 380s where also going to be running to Glasgow Airport, so there will be some spare capacity in the EMU fleet since the link was cancelled.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tbtc

Veteran Member
Remember that the Class 380s where also going to be running to Glasgow Airport, so there will be some spare capacity in the EMU fleet since the link was cancelled

True, but presumably they've been used in service regularly, so some services that currently get doubled up EMUs will be downgraded to single ones?

(e.g. are there still doubled up 334s on Edinburgh services?)

Status
Not open for further replies.