• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Bubble Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Following a posting i made on the Edinburgh - Glasgow thread yesterday in which i posted an internet link to Eastfield Depot (T&T Class 27s) I then found another photo (see below): http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2346893

My curiosity got me wondering which lines used a single car DMU, presumably around the Glasgow area. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2346893_0b207b11.jpg
    2346893_0b207b11.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 70
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Great catch! Looking at the blanked-out seating bay window, plus what appears to be 977xxx number, I guess that it is departmental stock - a route learner. I vaguely recall seeing an ex-122 at Springburn, back in 1990. Sorry I can't offer any more info though.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
The geograph caption says it's Sc 55015, not a 977- or 975-series number, and in 1982. A quick rummage around, and I found my 1982 RCTS coaching stock book, which lists SC55015 as ED-based, and classed as the only remaining example of a class 131 DMLV (driving motor luggage van), converted in 1968 "by removal of seats from cars of class 122".

The Scottish region at the time also had 4 other Cl 122 single car DMUs allocated, to DE (Dundee), but I've no idea how they worked, whether singly or to strengthen other DMU workings.

theblackwatch

Established Member
The geograph caption says it's Sc 55015, not a 977- or 975-series number, and in 1982. A quick rummage around, and I found my 1982 RCTS coaching stock book, which lists SC55015 as ED-based, and classed as the only remaining example of a class 131 DMLV (driving motor luggage van), converted in 1968 "by removal of seats from cars of class 122".

The Scottish region at the time also had 4 other Cl 122 single car DMUs allocated, to DE (Dundee), but I've no idea how they worked, whether singly or to strengthen other DMU workings.

I don't remember the bubble cars working in Scotland on their own in the 1980s at all, and am pretty sure they were used to strengthen other units (or possibly used to replace power cars in other sets occasionally, which is what Reading often did as well.

4SRKT

Established Member
Following a posting i made on the Edinburgh - Glasgow thread yesterday in which i posted an internet link to Eastfield Depot (T&T Class 27s) I then found another photo (see below): http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2346893

My curiosity got me wondering which lines used a single car DMU, presumably around the Glasgow area. Any ideas?

NOT T&T 27s. These were push-pull formations with the rear loco remotely controlled from the front one.

High Dyke

Established Member
Thanks for the replies...even the pedantic ones. :|

Not getting much chance to travel up to Scotland during the period of the photo i didn't get to see any possible workings. Though, as someone mentioned, i remember WR services out of Reading being a single car unit and trailer, amongst other locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.