• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

route101

Established Member
Thought id start a thread on Citylink.

Used website to book a ticket other day , website design is about 15 years old ! Find them a bit conservative even though they have got some new decker coaches.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thought id start a thread on Citylink.

Used website to book a ticket other day , website design is about 15 years old ! Find them a bit conservative even though they have got some new decker coaches.
I'd thought that too! Could do with being updated.
Where did you buy tickets to/from? I've found that buying tickets from the Megabus website is slightly cheaper for the same bus on the same day, the Megabus website doesn't seem to show all Citylink services though (eg I don't think it shows Fort William services, but it does show and is slightly cheaper for Inverness to Perth buses).

kez19

Established Member
I thought Scottish Citylink was under the Megabus brand (I agree the last time I used the megabus site it use to list Citylink coaches), I wonder if in time they'll just realign the brand under Megabus eventually?

They could still brand it something like Scottish Citylink by Megabus.....

I thought Scottish Citylink was under the Megabus brand (I agree the last time I used the megabus site it use to list Citylink coaches), I wonder if in time they'll just realign the brand under Megabus eventually?

They could still brand it something like Scottish Citylink by Megabus.....
Can't see this happening. Comfort Del Gro still own the vast majority of Citylink. Also no megabus tickets are available for the West Coast services.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Can't see this happening. Comfort Del Gro still own the vast majority of Citylink. Also no megabus tickets are available for the West Coast services.

I thought they used to offer tickets from Campbeltown.

Noticed when boarding the 900 last night , two people had advance or megabus tickets for a specific bus , driver let them on the earlier one.

I booked the M10 from Glasgow to Inverness at 0910 on Thursday. Not sure if its a gold or megabus.

I thought they used to offer tickets from Campbeltown.

Noticed when boarding the 900 last night , two people had advance or megabus tickets for a specific bus , driver let them on the earlier one.

I booked the M10 from Glasgow to Inverness at 0910 on Thursday. Not sure if its a gold or megabus.
You used to be able to buy a megabus ticket from London to Campbeltown but you couldn't buy one from Glasgow to Campbeltown. You have to book this through the Citylink site.

Generally on the 900 they take megabus tickets earlier to clear the stance as it is frequent anyway.

Your 0910 M10 to Inverness should be worked by a Parks Citylink Gold Elite.

kez19

Established Member

For my area in Dundee they run between Scottish Citylink/Megabus and Parks of Hamilton (yet most of the coaches I have seen are megabus) but under the Scottish Citylink colours has been Parks of Hamilton.

I still thought when Parks appeared that Citylink had went under a new name but surprised they are still going!

Regarding the Scottish Citylink site it seems like its a step back into the 2000's!

route101

Established Member
You used to be able to buy a megabus ticket from London to Campbeltown but you couldn't buy one from Glasgow to Campbeltown. You have to book this through the Citylink site.

Generally on the 900 they take megabus tickets earlier to clear the stance as it is frequent anyway.

Your 0910 M10 to Inverness should be worked by a Parks Citylink Gold Elite.

Yes , i see , its frequent so need to reserve.

Ah i see , was hoping for one of the new double decker coaches.

For my area in Dundee they run between Scottish Citylink/Megabus and Parks of Hamilton (yet most of the coaches I have seen are megabus) but under the Scottish Citylink colours has been Parks of Hamilton.

I still thought when Parks appeared that Citylink had went under a new name but surprised they are still going!

Regarding the Scottish Citylink site it seems like its a step back into the 2000's!
A number of years ago Citylink where told they would have to sell some Saltire Cross services due to the competition commission. These services were sold to Parks. Citylink sell tickets on Parks behalf hence why the Parks buses have Citylink colours but Parks of Hamilton on the side.

As for Megabus these are all Stagecoach operated vehicles which are part of the Joint Venture operation of Citylink and Megabus.

Yes , i see , its frequent so need to reserve.

Ah i see , was hoping for one of the new double decker coaches.
The new Panoramas going to Inverness would be on the 1110 M10 to Inverness and the 1615 return to Glasgow. As Monday to Saturday this is operated by Stagecoach Cumbernauld depot you can end up with a Van Hool on it as well. On a Sunday however the 1110 M10 and 1615 return are operated by Parks so you would end up with a Panorama on that.

kez19

Established Member
A number of years ago Citylink where told they would have to sell some Saltire Cross services due to the competition commission. These services were sold to Parks. Citylink sell tickets on Parks behalf hence why the Parks buses have Citylink colours but Parks of Hamilton on the side.

As for Megabus these are all Stagecoach operated vehicles which are part of the Joint Venture operation of Citylink and Megabus.

To think back in the day (the way I read it back then), I always took Megabus/Citylink were rivals(?) (stand to be corrected), anytime I went to Glasgow originally if it wasn't the train I was more happy using Citylink than Megabus (yet I believe Megabus was cheaper), I seem to remember that one time I booked a Citylink bus and ended up getting on one of those Olympian rustbuckets (didn't sound safe at the time).

I am maybe adding a bolt on to this topic in a way does Citylink get newer coaches off their own back or do they get new ones from Parks/Stagecoach at times?

overthewater

Established Member

Of course the services which were sold to Park were the journey Parks operated on behalf of citylink.

I am maybe adding a bolt on to this topic in a way does Citylink get newer coaches off their own back or do they get new ones from Parks/Stagecoach at times?

New coaches appear all the time with the contractors, However Megabus prefere to get the mileage out of the coaches.

To think back in the day (the way I read it back then), I always took Megabus/Citylink were rivals(?) (stand to be corrected), anytime I went to Glasgow originally if it wasn't the train I was more happy using Citylink than Megabus (yet I believe Megabus was cheaper), I seem to remember that one time I booked a Citylink bus and ended up getting on one of those Olympian rustbuckets (didn't sound safe at the time).

When Megabus first started they where competing with Citylink on services. Then Stagecoah bought a stake in Citylink with certain clauses such as certain Megabus route numbers being kept. The 900 was well known so was kept but the services to Dundee and Aberdeen became the M8 and M9.

Citylink have 1 vehicle registered to them, the last vehicle I know of was Stagecoach Cumbernauld's 54128 which had Citylink legal lettering even though it was a Stagecoach Vehicle. Every company that is contracted to run a Citylink service supplies there own vehicles.

route101

Established Member

Dont think Citylink operate any of there own buses. I dont recall Megabus operating there own services between Edinburgh and Glasgow. The M20 service is a recent thing.

Ah, was hoping for nice view up front from decker up A9. Dont think my ticket is valid for a change onto the 1110.

Dont think Citylink operate any of there own buses. I dont recall Megabus operating there own services between Edinburgh and Glasgow. The M20 service is a recent thing.

Ah, was hoping for nice view up front from decker up A9. Dont think my ticket is valid for a change onto the 1110.
Megabus ran some Olympians and Citybuses from North Hanover Street just across from the Queen Street Station entrance to Edinburgh. They then bought Motorvator over and competed with Citylink on the 900. It was Parks that ran B10M Paragons against the Motorvators ex Oxford Tube MAN deckers and a few B10M Premieres and Interurbans.

The M20 started coming to Glasgow in 2013 when the first of the Plaxton Interdecks joined the Megabus fleet. Fleet numbers 54201 to 54211 where Blochairn based. Before that I think the M20 went to Inverness and was operated by Perth and there Volvo B12 Panthers.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I believe Citylink are required to own one coach to satisfy their operator's licence. In practice it is usually operated by one of their main contractors as part of their own fleet.

kez19

Established Member
When Megabus first started they where competing with Citylink on services. Then Stagecoah bought a stake in Citylink with certain clauses such as certain Megabus route numbers being kept. The 900 was well known so was kept but the services to Dundee and Aberdeen became the M8 and M9.

Citylink have 1 vehicle registered to them, the last vehicle I know of was Stagecoach Cumbernauld's 54128 which had Citylink legal lettering even though it was a Stagecoach Vehicle. Every company that is contracted to run a Citylink service supplies there own vehicles.

I’m I right to say but hasn’t the former sleeper Megabus coaches joined Citylink (Citylink Gold services)?, I recognised the original coaches under Megabus passing the area and even under the rebrand too (unsure if the vehicles I speak of are still in circulation or again had newer vehicles added since), Citylink Gold some services come to Dundee others avoid Dundee via Kingway then Aberdeen/Inverness

I’m I right to say but hasn’t the former sleeper Megabus coaches joined Citylink (Citylink Gold services)?, I recognised the original coaches under Megabus passing the area and even under the rebrand too (unsure if the vehicles I speak of are still in circulation or again had newer vehicles added since), Citylink Gold some services come to Dundee others avoid Dundee via Kingway then Aberdeen/Inverness
Yes a certain amount of the ex Sleepers are now on Citylink Gold. Three companies supply vehicles for these services, Stagecoach West Scotland supply the Van Hool deckers, Parks supply the Plaxton Elites and Edinburgh Coach Lines use the Irizar i6 on there services.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I believe Citylink are required to own one coach to satisfy their operator's licence. In practice it is usually operated by one of their main contractors as part of their own fleet.

Indeed, i forget the exact fleet number but until recently it was one of the B13RT Panthers. I'd assume now it's one of the 900 branded Panoramas.

Yes a certain amount of the ex Sleepers are now on Citylink Gold. Three companies supply vehicles for these services, Stagecoach West Scotland supply the Van Hool deckers, Parks supply the Plaxton Elites and Edinburgh Coach Lines use the Irizar i6 on there services.

They won't be for long. The G9 is due to be getting new Panoramas soon.

Not to mention in recent times, certainly when it comes to marketing Citylink have been slowing distancing themselves from the Megabus brand. In theory Megabus have no involvement with Citylink other than being able to buy tickets through their site for the Saltire routes.

Indeed, i forget the exact fleet number but until recently it was one of the B13RT Panthers. I'd assume now it's one of the 900 branded Panoramas.

They won't be for long. The G9 is due to be getting new Panoramas soon.

Not to mention in recent times, certainly when it comes to marketing Citylink have been slowing distancing themselves from the Megabus brand. In theory Megabus have no involvement with Citylink other than being able to buy tickets through their site for the Saltire routes.
54128 was the B13 which had the Citylink legal lettering.

It won't just be the G9 that sees these new Panoramas. All Parks Golds will have them so G9, G10, G90 and G92.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
54128 was the B13 which had the Citylink legal lettering.

It won't just be the G9 that sees these new Panoramas. All Parks Golds will have them so G9, G10, G90 and G92.

Indeed, just noticed the comment regarding it further up.

Thanks, i couldn't remember if it was just the G9 or all 4 routes.

Indeed, just noticed the comment regarding it further up.

Thanks, i couldn't remember if it was just the G9 or all 4 routes.
The way Parks operate there Golds they are all interworked. So a bus might go to Aberdeen on the G9 then go to Edinburgh on the G92. Same with buses coming into Glasgow as a G10 then going out as a G9.

route101

Established Member
Seen a Megabus branded panther on the M9 at Glasgow Buchanan bus station other night. Mixture of single s and doubles on M9. I prefer the deckers ,quieter.

I seen on a travel map that there was a Megabus M20 from Inverness to London via Edinburgh, borders , newcastleton , bonkers route.

Not a fan of the seating on them van hool golds

kez19

Established Member

I mostly recognised the Van Hool deckers, it does seem in general but in a non related way how the companies work together (but not as such) on the services provided.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Do Citylink/Megabus/Parks sub contract the M9 to Nat Ex? When I was still working in the office, the 16.55 and 18:00 M9 from Perth to Glasgow was always worked by a Glasgow based Nat Ex driver.

Do Citylink/Megabus/Parks sub contract the M9 to Nat Ex? When I was still working in the office, the 16.55 and 18:00 M9 from Perth to Glasgow was always worked by a Glasgow based Nat Ex driver.
Those runs will be Parks services. The driver who takes the 592 National up to Aberdeen brings down an M9. The driver bringing the 592 back south takes an M9 to Aberdeen.

DunsBus

Established Member

You're correct. When Citylink was first set up, the owned coach was part of the Western Scottish fleet.

Mwanesh

Citylink actually run the Megabus operations. Megabus UK is under Scotland West. The day to day running is all done by the Citylink offices at Buchanan Station.