• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Electrification updates & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southsider

There’s a post on another thread (Northern Unit Refurbishments) suggesting a 170 on the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stopper

Sundays can throw up some strange units, such as a 6-car 170 on Dunblanes, Inverness’ etc. We’ll see more of the normal allocations and diagrams next week.

59CosG95

Established Member
Scottish Wiring Progressometer - Post 13.0 (dated 9th December 2018)
Shotts (due March 2019)

All mileages taken from Holytown Jct (1m 24ch) to Midcalder Jct (23m 11ch).
New signalling system for the route tested & commissioned.
The Shotts Line (eastern section) has been live as of the 4th of November; the western section followed on the 23rd after the removal of the bridge at Hartwood. The ORR are due to sign the route off for electric traction near Christmas.

Holytown Jct (1m 24ch) to Midcalder Jct (23m 11ch)
Fully wired throughout on both lines. All wires are LIVE, either side of the Track Sectioning Cabinet at Addiewell.

Platform extensions at Carfin are now open.
At Cleland, CCTV cameras & Customer Information Screens are being installed.
At Hartwood Station (6m 62ch), an entirely new DDA-compliant access route has been built, and the old footbridge (which fouled the clearances for live OLE) has been removed. CCTV/CIS improvements are also underway at the station.
The accommodation bridge at Hartwoodhill looks finished.
At Shotts station, Station Rd Bridge is being rebuilt, and platforms are being extended.
At Fauldhouse Station, CCTV and Customer Information Screens are being installed/improved.
Breich Station reopened after a 12-week closure. Platforms have been reprofiled, with access to the eastbound platform now coming from the north, avoiding the need for a new footbridge.
Addiewell Station's old footbridge has gone, and the New Footbridge almost complete. CIS screens and CCTV cameras are also being installed.

Edinburgh-Falkirk-Glasgow
All mileages taken from Queen Street High Level (0m 00ch) towards Haymarket (46m 02ch).
Electric services (Class 380s) running between Glasgow Queen Street High Level & Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High (21m 63ch) in regular service; due to switch to Class 385 operation in December '18.

Via Falkirk Grahamston - LIVE as of 1/5/18. This includes
  • Greenhill Upper Jct to Greenhill Lower Jct;
  • Greenhill Lower Jct to Polmont Jct via Falkirk Grahamston;
  • Grangemouth Jct;
  • The "Larbert Triangle" (Larbert Jct, Carmuirs West Jct, and Carmuirs East Jct).
Now signed off for passenger service; Class 365s in operation as of 23/6/18.
As the OLE in the Grangemouth Terminal area fell under the SDA remit, it is assumed that the equipment is now to be treated as LIVE.
Some work in the freight terminal does remain outstanding, but it has been all but confirmed that enough C&C to turn a Class 385 formation has been completed and energised.

Larbert - Stirling - Dunblane/Alloa - LIVE as of 4/11/18
SDA has been energised as of the 4th of November; the route is now in electric service as of the 9th of December.
The extent of wires in Grangemouth is not fully known.

najaB

Veteran Member
Whatever. It’s clear you don’t understand what you’re talking about.
So, oh wise one, why would I choose a timing load completely different to the actual train performance for a WTT path, meaning I have to manually adjust the sectional running times and pathing allowances - and potentially have to re-do it several times during the timetable bidding period - rather than just starting with the correct timing load and let the automation do most of the work for me? As opposed to a VSTP path wich, by its very nature, is more than likely going to be a one-off?

Agdron

So, today, were all SDA services electric?
Not to my knowledge. From what I know there have been electric services but there are still many DMUs on the route. There was a 365 parked up in Stirling around the time of the 20:11 to Aberdeen (Which was HST).

InOban

Established Member
I think Scotrail said that some Edinburgh to dunblane services would remain dmu in the meantime.

mcmad

Likewise 170's Larbert - Queen St and back today although since the morning train still starts in Dundee not much other option there.

najaB

Veteran Member
You would be surprised. Somebody needs to work out the optimal positions for dispatch. A conductor manager or instructor may be present.
Indeed. But they aren't likely to be working as a guard, so it could be a manager or trainer as you said rather than a day-to-day guard.

Aictos

Established Member
I've got a few questions regarding the rolling stock here:

1. Has Scotrail said how long the Class 365s will be staying with them, is there a end date to them being in use?

2. Any idea when services will settle down to a full EMU service? By that I mean the only DMUs being Glasgow Queen Street to the Highlands/Dundee via Perth/Anniesland.

3. What are the Class 385s like compared to the other trains that have been used between Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Observer

I think Scotrail said that some Edinburgh to dunblane services would remain dmu in the meantime.
Had a 170 one way and a 365 on the other today, quite liked the 365, very quick door release, quite comfortable too. Only gripe is no conductors checking the tickets on both my journeys (Larbert to and from Falkirk Grahamston, no surprise as this can often happen), are there no door panels on 365s as I saw my guard only at the rear?

I wish they can retain them, if only because a permanent fixture of 385s would become quite monotonous, I liked having the variation between 156s, 158s and 170s, and even 150s back when they were on the line many, many years ago.

Got another journey to make tomorrow so we'll see what I get. I assume there's no chance for a 385 on Edinburgh to Dunblane during weekdays?

mcmad

Half the week gone, various trains tried but still not had an electric on the Glasgow - SDA route. Are they actually running any?

Chrism20

Established Member
Had a 170 one way and a 365 on the other today, quite liked the 365, very quick door release, quite comfortable too. Only gripe is no conductors checking the tickets on both my journeys (Larbert to and from Falkirk Grahamston, no surprise as this can often happen), are there no door panels on 365s as I saw my guard only at the rear?

No idea re the panels but I’m sure I read on the 365 thread that the drivers were releasing the doors which would explain the quick release.

Half the week gone, various trains tried but still not had an electric on the Glasgow - SDA route. Are they actually running any?
With the new timetable there are an Alloa and a Stirling each hour. The Stirling trains are 385s and every second Alloa is a 385. All the trains seen are 4 car.
So only one train every 2 hours remains as a diesel.

Aictos

Established Member
No idea re the panels but I’m sure I read on the 365 thread that the drivers were releasing the doors which would explain the quick release.

Is that not what used to happen with the Class 322s on the North Berwicks as I'm sure they only had door control panels in the cabs?

It would be better if they modded the fleet to have door panels in the vestibules added as Northern did with the Class 319s but as nobody knows how long the fleet will work in Scotland maybe there wasn't a business case to do so?

Chrism20

Established Member
Is that not what used to happen with the Class 322s on the North Berwicks as I'm sure they only had door control panels in the cabs?

It would be better if they modded the fleet to have door panels in the vestibules added as Northern did with the Class 319s but as nobody knows how long the fleet will work in Scotland maybe there wasn't a business case to do so?

No idea re the 322s sorry

I think it’s been mentioned they are only to be here for a year and when they arrived the priority was to get them into service.

With all the issues ScotRail have had with doors on other fleets recently I’d imagine the “if it’s not broke.......” line may be quite apt.

mcmad

With the new timetable there are an Alloa and a Stirling each hour. The Stirling trains are 385s and every second Alloa is a 385. All the trains seen are 4 car.
So only one train every 2 hours remains as a diesel.
Well neither the 1618 to Alloa or the 1651 to Dunblane have produced an electric so far. Maybe during the off peak its a more stable pattern but nothing for peak time commuters.

Southsider

Well neither the 1618 to Alloa or the 1651 to Dunblane have produced an electric so far. Maybe during the off peak its a more stable pattern but nothing for peak time commuters.
I think we are in a transitional phase and will see more electrics as the diagrams change. Will be interesting to see what happens with Shotts as I understand it is more self contained and could be solely electric from the off.

Observer

Wasn't just that, the doors opened and closed a lot quicker than the 170s did for sure. Managed to only get 365s today.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member

I wish they can retain them, if only because a permanent fixture of 385s would become quite monotonous, I liked having the variation between 156s, 158s and 170s, and even 150s back when they were on the line many, many years ago.

Got another journey to make tomorrow so we'll see what I get. I assume there's no chance for a 385 on Edinburgh to Dunblane during weekdays?
Sure i seen a picture of a Edinburgh to Dunblane 385 !

route101

Established Member
I think we are in a transitional phase and will see more electrics as the diagrams change. Will be interesting to see what happens with Shotts as I understand it is more self contained and could be solely electric from the off.

Does the Shotts not interwork with EK services still? Few saturdays back i took a Shotts 156 that was formed from inbound EK 4 car 156 , though it was split and platform change may be a one off.

clc

Established Member
Page 40 of the budget states that £207 million will be spent on the rail electrification programme in 2019/20.

Page 140 states “In 2019-20 we will continue the delivery of the rolling programme of electrification, including the line between Edinburgh and Glasgow via Shotts.”

So it looks like Shotts won’t be complete by March.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/conte...t-2019-20/govscot:document?forceDownload=true

Status
Not open for further replies.