• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Electrification updates & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
There would need to be a lot of Route Clearance work undertaken first. Although at one time Virgin’s aspiration was to run at least one 390 a day from Stirling that died a death when the franchise renewal went wrong so I don’t think it’s likely to be any sort of priority. Pendos are still not Route Cleared for the R&C, which is a particularly useful diversion, more than 3 years since it was first electrified.

It would certainly be very welcome.

Is it likely that a route that can accommodate an 80X series unit would be capable of accommodating a 390?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gingertom

Established Member
could it be that the EGIP OLE does not have harmonic dampers installed? AFAIK these are needed for 390s to run to minimise interference.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
I'm pretty sure 350/390 clearance via Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston is included in NR's plans.

Also IIRC the R&C electrification was deliberately designed so that it could be a 390 diversionary route. Something like that they re-used some power supply equipment from elsewhere on the WCML that they knew would already work.

gingertom

Established Member
I'm pretty sure 350/390 clearance via Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston is included in NR's plans.

Also IIRC the R&C electrification was deliberately designed so that it could be a 390 diversionary route. Something like that they re-used some power supply equipment from elsewhere on the WCML that they knew would already work.
that was definitely the case for Rutherglen & Whifflet OLE.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

that was definitely the case for Rutherglen & Whifflet OLE.

I read elsewhere that VTWC drivers no longer sign the R&C line so that appears to have been a waste of time.

JohnR

I read elsewhere that VTWC drivers no longer sign the R&C line so that appears to have been a waste of time.

That seems to be a policy of VTWC - they dont seem to support drivers signing for diversionary routes.

Highlandspring

Established Member
VTWC Polmadie drivers sign all the recognised diversions except the R&C (that’s, Shields Jn/Larkfield, Cathcart Circle, Hamilton Circle, Holytown via both Bellshill and Braidhurst, Wishaw Connecting line and some know the G&SW. VTWC Edinburgh drivers sign the above and the R&C, Cumbernauld and E&G. VTWC Preston drivers don’t sign any diversionary routes in Scotland.

najaB

Veteran Member
VTWC Polmadie drivers sign all the recognised diversions except the R&C (that’s, Shields Jn/Larkfield, Cathcart Circle, Hamilton Circle, Holytown via both Bellshill and Braidhurst, Wishaw Connecting line and some know the G&SW.
That was evidenced by how quickly they were able to set up the G&SW diversion during the Lammington block.

gingertom

Established Member
and some know the G&SW. VTWC Edinburgh drivers sign the above and the R&C, Cumbernauld and E&G. VTWC Preston drivers don’t sign any diversionary routes in Scotland.
That was evidenced by how quickly they were able to set up the G&SW diversion during the Lammington block.
the more you can sign the easier it is for the schedulers. Lamington must have been a nightmare getting the people with the knowledge in the right place. A job well done.

och aye

http://www.centralfm.co.uk/2018/05/22/34392/

First stage of Forth Valley rail electrification complete

Engineers from Network Rail have completed the first phase of a project to electrify the lines linking Stirling, Dunblane and Alloa, to the main Glasgow-Edinburgh route.

The newest section has been approved for passenger use following testing last weekend.

Work began back in October 2016 and should be completed next year.

I assume this has been implied to be the route via F'kirk Grahamston?

From Network Rail.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre....ling-dunblane-alloa-electrification-delivered

Network Rail said:
The first section of the Stirling-Dunblane-Alloa (SDA) electrification project completed covers 26 single track kilometres between Greenhill, Larbert and Polmont junctions and includes Falkirk Grahamston and Camelon stations.

As well as providing a diversionary route for electric trains using the main Edinburgh – Glasgow via Falkirk High route an electrified route between Glasgow Queen Street and Falkirk Grahamston via Cumbernauld, the completion of the line also delivers additional benefits with the future proofing of the Grangemouth branch section for freight.

The link also includes a video of some of the testing.

InOban

Established Member
All they need are some electric trains.

Interestingly the video only covers testing to Grahamston. So if any stock is available, the direct QSHL service to Grahamston via Cumbernauld could go electric, before they get extended to Edinburgh when the rest of the project is completed.

Southsider

Interestingly the video only covers testing to Grahamston. So if any stock is available, the direct QSHL service to Grahamston via Cumbernauld could go electric, before they get extended to Edinburgh when the rest of the project is completed.
Hopefully rolling stock should not be a constraint now that Scotrail have tapped into the available market in the shape of the 365s and a solution to the 385 issue seems to be in sight (pardon the pun). I have to say I’ve been impressed by Scotrail’s ability and willingness to move quickly in grasping opportunities of late and I hope it continues in this respect.

Class 170101

Established Member
the more you can sign the easier it is for the schedulers. Lamington must have been a nightmare getting the people with the knowledge in the right place. A job well done.

But a nightmare for the roster clerk trying to keep driver knowledge up to date and refreshed as needed - although on some TOCs its the drivers responsibility to keep their knowledge up to date.

Class 170101

Established Member
VTWC Polmadie drivers sign all the recognised diversions except the R&C (that’s, Shields Jn/Larkfield, Cathcart Circle, Hamilton Circle, Holytown via both Bellshill and Braidhurst, Wishaw Connecting line and some know the G&SW. VTWC Edinburgh drivers sign the above and the R&C, Cumbernauld and E&G. VTWC Preston drivers don’t sign any diversionary routes in Scotland.

What happened yesterday (Saturday) then? Virgin and TPE decided not to run trains between Edinburgh and Carlisle via Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston whilst the usual route was blocked..

najaB

Veteran Member
What happened yesterday (Saturday) then? Virgin and TPE decided not to run trains between Edinburgh and Carlisle via Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston whilst the usual route was blocked..
They probably looked at the numbers and decided that running via the diversionary route didn't stack up. Paths would likely be at a premium.
Because the blockade was at Carstairs!
Or that, even!

Would probably need an extra 334 flushed out of the system and clearance to use it DOO from Cumbernauld to Falkirk.

Not a major problem though.

InOban

Established Member
I was thinking that when the 365s take over E-G in the next few weeks, the 380s could take over the Falkirk via Cumbernauld services.

I was thinking that when the 365s take over E-G in the next few weeks, the 380s could take over the Falkirk via Cumbernauld services.

Think the plan is when 365s come on stream that the diesel worked trains on the E&G will be first to go. Some more are due off lease shortly to go to Northern.

The chances of 380s returning to Inverclyde are slim for a while yet. They will probably go to 318s as 314s are released ny 385s.

The 380s that were transferred to E&G were originally bought for Glasgow Airport services that never started. Inverclyde was not in the equation.

PaulLothian

An enquiry from my daughter, who has told me about engineering work currently taking place just east of Niddrie West Junction on the Edinburgh Sub. She wondered if this is electrification-related. Apparently quite a big piece of work with Portakabins.

An enquiry from my daughter, who has told me about engineering work currently taking place just east of Niddrie West Junction on the Edinburgh Sub. She wondered if this is electrification-related. Apparently quite a big piece of work with Portakabins.

Doubt its electrification related, since nothing has been signed off.

Think there are junction renewals in the plan.

PaulLothian

Update - she waylaid a workman on the way back from shopping! Not directly electrification-related; scheduled reinforcement of track bed over old coalmine workings, if I got her message correctly.

Last edited:

mcmad

Don't think it was planned, there was a hole opened up a few weeks back and I think its the infilling of the old mineshaft to enable the line to reopen.

Status
Not open for further replies.