• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Grand Tour ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
We're looking at touring Scotland using the Scottish Grand Tour ticket https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/scottish-grand-tour

This is described as giving four days'’ travel over eight consecutive days on the West Highland Line, Kyle Line, and Highland Main Line, travelling in one direction, clockwise or anti-clockwise. It also includes ferry travel between Mallaig and Armadale on Skye, and coach travel on Skye between Armadale and Kyle of Lochalsh. The ticket is £58.75 each with a railcard and so is good value. It is in looking how it can practically be used that questions have arisen.

The website gives a suggested itinerary of (in either direction), Glasgow-Mallaig, then the ferry to Skye, the coach to Kyle of Lochalsh, then the train to Inverness, followed by the Highland Line to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

However, further down the webpage it states that 'From 21 October 2019 there are no direct public bus services between Armadale ferry terminal on Skye and Kyle of Lochalsh train station. Bus connections are available but limited, will take longer and may require a stopover. Check timetables at www.stagecoachbus.co.uk'

It is more than a little odd for a change in 2019 to still be a footnote further down the page. On checking the Stagecoach website, it does indeed appear to now involve two buses on long infrequent journeys. However, the Grand Tour webpage does not make clear whether the ticket is valid on these buses rather than the coach referred to above. Does anyone know?

Moreover, should one decide that this two bus option is too long and unpredictable, and so to give Skye a miss, it is not clear what other itineraries the ticket could practically be used for, bearing in mind the one direction, clockwise or anti-ckockwise requirement, and so doubling back is not an option.

It is also slightly ambiguous which lines the ticket can be used on. The lines menntioned above are listed on those where it is valid. However, it states elsewhere on the webpage that you can 'travel Standard class at any time, except on the Highland Main Line and between Glasgow and Edinburgh on weekdays before 09.15'. That implies it is valid on Glasgow-Edinburgh after 0915, yet that is not one of the lines listed above.

Can anyone help clarify the lines for which the ticket is valid, amd give practical suggestions on itineraries, given the limitations listed above?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HughT

Re the Edinburgh-Glasgow issue. There's an FAQ further down the page cited which covers this - makes clear that Edinburgh can be a starting point for the loop, not just Glasgow. Even if you start from Glasgow (clockwise) you

===

Where can I visit with the Grand Tour travel pass?

The travel pass is a one-way journey (clockwise or anti-clockwise) between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Mallaig, Armadale (Skye), Kyle of Lochalsh, Inverness and back.
Start anywhere on this circular route and hop on and off at stations along the way, including:
Glasgow | Arrochar & Tarbet (for Loch Lomond) | Fort William | Mallaig | Isle of Skye | Inverness | Aviemore | Pitlochry | Perth | Stirling | Edinburgh

====

Sorry - janb and I were typing at the same time! You could return to Glasgow using a Highland Line Inverness-Edinburgh train (worth considering if you want to cover the route via Kirkcaldy)

thejuggler

It appears Stagecoach used to operate a service 51 which served Armadale and Kyle as a direct service. This was removed in 2019 and replaced with a service 52 between Broadford and Armadale linking to services between Broadford and Kyle.

I'm sure a quick tweet to Stagecoach will confirm whether the ticket is valid, I would be very surprised if it wasn't.

As long as the bus time links with ferry and rail timetable it shouldn't be a problem doing Skye. Ferry services do generally tie in with rail and Calmac include the train times on their timetables, but rail and ferry timetables for the summer aren't yet published. Calmac state the Skye timetable will be published on Jan 17th.

TUC

Established Member
Thaks for the responses. With regard to Edinburgh-Glasgow, it is the reference on the website to validty being on the the West Highland Line, Kyle Line, and Highland Main Line where I think there is a contradiction between the text and the map.

Veteran Member
Thaks for the responses. With regard to Edinburgh-Glasgow, it is the reference on the website to validty being on the the West Highland Line, Kyle Line, and Highland Main Line where I think there is a contradiction between the text and the map.
The opening sentences read:
Travel between Glasgow, the Isle of Skye, Inverness and Edinburgh on some truly dramatic rail lines: the West Highland Line, Kyle Line, and Highland Main Line.
Start anywhere on this circular route, and hop on and off at stations along the way.
Scotrail are giving the highlights of the trip rather than every last detail (There has to be some way of covering Edinburgh/Glasgow/Perth to complete the circle).
Time the bit about Skye was updated though - assuming Stagecoach aren't going to revise their routes again :). Fair enough to warn that you might not be able to do (say) Ft William to Inverness in a day, which I expect some might try.

Not sure I understand about giving Skye a miss - why (indeed how?) would you.

Haywain

Veteran Member
A retail brief issued by Scotrail in August 2021 (an internal document) has this stated regarding the bus services on Skye:
Direct public bus services on Skye connecting Kyle of Lochalsh Train Station with Armadale Ferry.
Public bus services on Skye can be sporadic and often only operate during the Summer season. Stagecoach No 51 runs directly between Armadale (ferry connection) and Kyle of Lochalsh (rail connection) but is available Mon - Fri, Summer only. For other services change at Broadford/Armadale Road End on Skye.
Customers should check onward travel connections before purchasing and travelling. Latest timetables are available at www.stagecoachbus.com (bus) and www.calmac.co.uk (ferry).

It is also slightly ambiguous which lines the ticket can be used on. The lines menntioned above are listed on those where it is valid. However, it states elsewhere on the webpage that you can 'travel Standard class at any time, except on the Highland Main Line and between Glasgow and Edinburgh on weekdays before 09.15'. That implies it is valid on Glasgow-Edinburgh after 0915, yet that is not one of the lines listed above.
Regarding this, the retail brief has a clearer version:
Travel is valid Monday to Friday on trains departing after 0915 and on any service at the weekend.
• The above restriction does not apply to customers travelling on the following routes:
o Glasgow Queen Street - Fort William/Mallaig
o Inverness – Kyle

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’ve done the Skye circular a few times (it’s my favourite rail journey).

The bus timetable changes reasonably frequently and are tied into the school terms. More buses run in the peak of the tourist season.

Transport in that part of the world is more integrated, so don’t be too concerned about changing buses at Broadford.

If things really go wrong at Kyle then a get out of jail card is the Citylink to Fort William to pick up the train there (although I think you’d need to pay separately for that).

trei2k

Just to follow on from @Hadders

At the moment the only option is to get the 52 bus from Armadale on Skye to Broadford and change for either the 50 or 55 (Stagecoach, included in the pass) or to jump onto one of the Citylink buses to Glasgow/Inverness 915/916/917 at your own expense.

Here is the full timetable for Skye in the winter from Stagecoach:

Timetables for Citylink:
Glasgow/Skye: https://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/October 21/glasgow-uig.pdf
Inverness/Skye: https://www.citylink.co.uk/timetables/October 21/inverness-skye.pdf

Skye is really an excellent place to visit. For those that have not been, I would highly recommend visiting. However, if you have an option of private transport, I would favour this over public transport, as there is so much to see on the island - you'd miss out by limiting yourself to public transport.

Gathursty

Established Member
It would be funny to rock up at one of the tiny halts and buy one of these passes from the guard to give them some commission however this ticket can only be bought at a ticket office or as a mobile ticket. Is it not an orange stock ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.