• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish HLOS for CP6 (2019-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was not called the Dolphinton line .
That line ran from a point between Carstairs South & Carstairs East, turning right & then strangely enough heading off to a place called Dolphinton .

There is no creepy crawl past the State Hospital, there is a 30 MPH limit past it .
There is no neutral section near it either .
I don’t see the need to be a drama queen about a railway passing by a secure location for the criminally insane .
Many years ago, I believe the hospital was split in two sections & one part was a lot nearer the railway & accessed by the bridge which is still in place today .
Actually it’s a Psychiatric hospital a lot of people in there who ain’t criminals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
Would there be any possibility of some end-to-end E-G demand being catered for by a fast(ish) service routeing to and from Central via Shotts? I appreciate it couldn't be as quick a journey as via Falkirk High, but with the growth of employment around Central (e.g.Barclays on the southern side of the Clyde) the total journey time (including walking to and from the station) could be similar for people with an origin or destination in that area.

Such a service could allow some room for growth to and from the intermediate stations via Falkirk High before committing to further infrastructure.
There's not the capacity on the southern lines at Haymarket for more trains there; a large part of the Dalmeny Curve is avoiding the need to take up capacity on the lines between Newbridge Jn and Haymarket East Jn.

Sounds like excellent news - many thanks. Do you know what the speed limit was on the old avoiding line from Carlisle to Edinbugh? Not sure when it was removed, but it is still clear on Google maps.
Am sure an old signaller told me it was built for the Queen ..

Tobbes

Established Member
No it doesn’t , & would not need a new bridge .

The old formation reaches the WCML before it crosses the river Clyde , on the Carstairs side of Float Viaduct

Thanks, thats very interesting. Can we estimate what speed it would allow if reinstated?

Mordac

Established Member
It was not called the Dolphinton line .
That line ran from a point between Carstairs South & Carstairs East, turning right & then strangely enough heading off to a place called Dolphinton .

There is no creepy crawl past the State Hospital, there is a 30 MPH limit past it .
There is no neutral section near it either .
I don’t see the need to be a drama queen about a railway passing by a secure location for the criminally insane .
Many years ago, I believe the hospital was split in two sections & one part was a lot nearer the railway & accessed by the bridge which is still in place today .
There most certainly is a neutral section.

Not only that, there's another immediately south of the junction as well.

InOban

Established Member
I was assuming that if reinstated you would want a high speed, preferably grade separated junction, which would, I think need a new bridge
Certainly NR would probably ignore the original formation as being of unknown construction.

Thanks, thats very interesting. Can we estimate what speed it would allow if reinstated?
Don’t think we’ll need to worry about the speed as I can’t see it ever opening again and I’ve never seen it on any new signalling diagrams .
Quite amazing how far you can following the old Dolphinton line on google maps after all these years:smile:

Put Kettle On

There most certainly is a neutral section.

Not only that, there's another immediately south of the junction as well.

Nice try, but the one you at bottom of page is 79m 40ch, 6 miles or so from Carstairs.
Yes, there is one at 15 MPH curve to Carstairs South & also on single line to station .
I also imagine there would be more chance of being stopped at a signal, rather than in a neutral section, but also being a station at Carstairs, I do not imagine there is any fear of alarm of using it, due to the proximity of State Hospital without “ shuddering to think what might happen “

Nice try, but the one you at bottom of page is 79m 40ch, 6 miles or so from Carstairs.
Yes, there is one at 15 MPH curve to Carstairs South & also on single line to station .
I also imagine there would be more chance of being stopped at a signal, rather than in a neutral section, but also being a station at Carstairs, I do not imagine there is any fear of alarm of using it, due to the proximity of State Hospital without “ shuddering to think what might happen “
Trust me it’s nowhere near 6 miles from carstairs .

Mordac

Established Member
I obviously meant the one at the top, 7 chords from the junction....

Calm down , there are signals a lot closer to Hospital that there is more likelihood of being stopped, than the chance of stopping in a neutral section:rolleyes:
MC426 to be precise . And as you said earlier that’s where the old part of the hospital used to . They kept the right bad ones in there .

InOban

Established Member
Don’t think we’ll need to worry about the speed as I can’t see it ever opening again and I’ve never seen it on any new signalling diagrams .
Quite amazing how far you can following the old Dolphinton line on google maps after all these years:smile:

I'm quite aware that reopening is completely crayonista. One train each way every hour!

gsnedders

Established Member
I'm quite aware that reopening is completely crayonista. One train each way every hour!
Indeed. I think the only chance that has of being reinstated is if HS2 is extended north from Crewe to near Carstairs.

hwl

Established Member
Indeed. I think the only chance that has of being reinstated is if HS2 is extended north from Crewe to near Carstairs.
Or more likely HS2 needing a bit more of a total journey time reduction to Edinburgh for Phase 2 opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.