• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish independence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I'm currently picking myself off the floor in shock - I agree with OT on another thing!

Sod a referendum, just give it to them. Christmas come early, and with the perfect Government to do it with too. Cameron and his party have nothing to lose; they lose no votes (in limited theory) and placate the mad right of their party too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
I'm currently picking myself off the floor in shock - I agree with OT on another thing!

Sod a referendum, just give it to them. Christmas come early, and with the perfect Government to do it with too. Cameron and his party have nothing to lose; they lose no votes (in limited theory) and placate the mad right of their party too.

And what of the majority that doesn't want it?!

Who cares, they are Scottish.

They have never cared about the English, in history all they do is wait for us to attack Europe and then stab us in the back.

Has anything changed?

scotsman

Established Member

They have never cared about the English, in history all they do is wait for us to attack Europe and then stab us in the back.

Has anything changed?

I'll refrain from typing what I sorely want to here. I assure you it's four letter expletive. Followed by the word 'you'.

It really is people like you that do the independence camp the world of good.

I repeat.

The majority of Scots DO NOT want independence.

The maj-or-it-y.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Do you have any examples of this from the last three hundred years, which is basically since we became a United Kingdom? Because I'm struggling to come up with any...

Butts

Veteran Member

Has anything changed?

What is Europe in this context ???

We don't need to stab you in the back - you are quite capable of doing that yourselves.

Wars of The Roses.....

Richard and Prince John ....

Henry Viii and the Pope......

Princes in the tower....

Stephen and Matilda...

We have stood side by side with you for over three hundred years on battle fields all over world during the creation and defence of The British Empire.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
What needs to stop happening is Scottish MSPs being able to vote on legislation which does not affect Scotland, and for which they are not accountable by the affected electorate.

Aictos

Established Member
I'll refrain from typing what I sorely want to here. I assure you it's four letter expletive. Followed by the word 'you'.

It really is people like you that do the independence camp the world of good.

I repeat.

The majority of Scots DO NOT want independence.

The maj-or-it-y.

I'm not Scottish but I strongly believe full independence is NOT what the Scots want even if certain groups try to convince everyone that the opposite applies.

The only thing that upsets me is the political setup of taxes etc....which I leave the blame for firmly at the door of Messrs Blair, Brown and Salmond and not at the door of the majority of Scots.

Butts

Veteran Member
What needs to stop happening is Scottish MSPs being able to vote on legislation which does not affect Scotland, and for which they are not accountable by the affected electorate.

I think you mean Scottish MP's who sit in Westminster - "The West Lothian Question".

MSP's are members of The Scottish Parliament who have nothing to do with Westminster or "English Issues"

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I think you mean Scottish MP's who sit in Westminster - "The West Lothian Question".

MSP's are members of The Scottish Parliament who have nothing to do with Westminster or "English Issues"

Yes, sorry - my mistake.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, sorry - my mistake.

An easy one to make with the proliferation of representatives.

I agree with you point about Scottish MP's voting on issues that do not affect their own constituents and are exclusively English/Welsh matters.

Classic example being tuition fees which they were happy to foist on the rest of the UK whilst exempting their own voters.:oops:

Labour would be "bricking it" should this happen - it's bye bye to them forming a majority government in England/Wales.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I don't think that Scotland should leave the UK.

On a side note, anyone willing to make a new flag that doesn't include St. Andrews cross if Scotland were to leave.

Butts

Veteran Member
Another aspect of the issue is the myth that Scotland is a totally united Country.

There are people in Shetland and Orkney who no more want to be ruled from Edinburgh than they do from London - Oslo would probably be preferable to some of them.

In the Highlands a lot of people have even after 250+ years not forgiven Lowlanders for siding with The Government (mainly English forces) at Culloden in 1745.

The same North/South rivalry that exists in England and Wales is also prevalent up here.

To be honest Independence is probably a "middle class" obsession to the Scottish equivalent of "The Chattering Classes of Hampstead" - substitute "Morningside".

Ordianary working class people in Scotland be it Glasgow, Inverness or Thurso have more in common with their contemporaries in London , Cardiff or Belfast than they do with these idealists. IE Trying to earn a crust and put bread on the table.:p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think that Scotland should leave the UK.

On a side note, anyone willing to make a new flag that doesn't include St. Andrews cross if Scotland were to leave.

Perhaps the Welsh would at last have some representation which they currently lack on the Union Flag :p

scotsman

Established Member
In the Highlands a lot of people have even after 250+ years not forgiven Lowlanders

Yet more Scots fought for the 'sassenachs' which, contrary to popular opinion, was not a term that referred to the English, but southerners in general.

For the record Sassun is gaelic for England

Butts

Veteran Member
Let's put some green on the flag!

I'm afraid it would have to be Black and Yellow that is Wales St Davids Cross - I have never seen it before had to look it up:p
Yet more Scots fought for the 'sassenachs' which, contrary to popular opinion, was not a term that referred to the English, but southerners in general.

For the record Sassun is gaelic for England

Don't raise that old chestnut again (meaning of sassenach)

Also most of the Scots on the "English Side" were Lowlanders and Central Scotland inhabitants :p

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'm afraid it would have to be Black and Yellow that is Wales St Davids Cross - I have never seen it before had to look it up:p

Don't raise that old chestnut again (meaning of sassenach)

Also most of the Scots on the "English Side" were Lowlanders and Central Scotland inhabitants :p

A good result too, we didn't fancy an Italian dwarf as King and answerable to the pope. Went on quite an offensive down South though, quite impressively so.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I often wonder what it would be like if the 1707 Act of Union had never been enacted. Much of the Hong Kong trading base was Scottish based with Jardine, Matheson & Co being the major player in the trading fulcrum covering all Far Eastern trade for very many years. There is no reason to assume that they would not have brought that same expertise to bear upon their home economy.

Butts

Veteran Member
I often wonder what it would be like if the 1707 Act of Union had never been enacted. Much of the Hong Kong trading base was Scottish based with Jardine, Matheson & Co being the major player in the trading fulcrum covering all Far Eastern trade for very many years. There is no reason to assume that they would not have brought that same expertise to bear upon their home economy.

Checkout the "Darien Fiasco" Scotlands disastrous attempt to form a colony in Panama which virtually bankrupted the country.

This along with bribery (English Gold) was the main reason for The Act of Union in 1707 being passed.

From then on Scots ran the British Empire financed by the English :p
A good result too, we didn't fancy an Italian dwarf as King and answerable to the pope. Went on quite an offensive down South though, quite impressively so.

Are you referring to BPC or "Bonnie Prince Charlie" - don't visit Glenfinnan any time soon or you may be Hung Drawn and Quartered:p

Derby was a far as we got so "could have done better" - London was there for the taking :lol:

kylemore

I think you'll find that the British Empire at least to begin with was "financed" by Slave Labour, later on by sweated labour, ruthless exploitation, rape of natural resources and essentially downright Theft!

CarterUSM

Established Member
Checkout the "Darien Fiasco" Scotlands disastrous attempt to form a colony in Panama which virtually bankrupted the country.

This along with bribery (English Gold) was the main reason for The Act of Union in 1707 being passed.

Are you referring to BPC or "Bonnie Prince Charlie" - don't visit Glenfinnan any time soon or you may be Hung Drawn and Quartered:p

Derby was a far as we got so "could have done better" - London was there for the taking :lol:

Yep, The Bonnie "prince"! Funnily enough, many tourists think the memorial there is Charlie himself, though it is of course , not.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yep, The Bonnie "prince"! Funnily enough, many tourists think the memorial there is Charlie himself, though it is of course , not.

It's a memorial to The Clansmen who rallied to his standard isn't it ?

From your previous remarks had it been BPC folks would have thought snow white had lost one of her dwarfs :p
I think we have had quite enough of Scotsmen in charge of the UK economy by now to last us several millenia.

One could say it's our punishment to you for all those wisecracks about our goalkeepers :p

I think you'll find that the British Empire at least to begin with was "financed" by Slave Labour, later on by sweated labour, ruthless exploitation, rape of natural resources and essentially downright Theft!

Some things never change then - you could be talking about Englands treatment of Scotland Wales and Ireland over the years plus their own "working class":p

Freakonomic

No.

Scotland couldn't survive on its own and the only Scots who want independence are the 20 year olds who just finished watching Braveheart.

WestCoast

Established Member
I'd quite like there not to be an international border between me and my boyfriend. :P

It wouldn't exactly be a big deal though, Scotland would join the 'Common Travel Area', so certainly no passports or border checks would be involved.

Where my cousin lives in Aachen in Germany, a trip to the local shop requires a 10 mins walk along the road, 'crossing' the border into the Netherlands. That's an international border with a language change! :) It's marked only by a sign.

table38

Established Member
I'd quite like there not to be an international border between me and my boyfriend. :P

You say that now :)

Actually I'm quite glad the ex is back in Scotland over 200 miles away... well, actually it's 232.5 miles... not that I'm counting... anymore... (sobs quietly into handkerchief) :(

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . the only Scots who want independence are the 20 year olds who just finished watching Braveheart.
I disagree.

I have many personal, professional and political contacts who maintain the diametrically opposite view. Whilst I hesitate to commit to Independence myself, I acknowledge that the debate has been very well resarched, analysed and reported by my friends in the SE. Some of them are quite clearly well over 20 and don't strike me as people who waste their time by watching videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.