Scottish Local Easements

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Hadders, 5 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

I'm having some email ping pong with Serco Caledonian Sleeper over the validity of the local easements on the sleeper service (I want to use the return portion of a London - Kyle of Lochalsh off-peak return ticket on the Fort William southbound sleeper).

They aren't denying that the easement used to exist but can't find anything current.

Are the Scottish Easements mentioned in iKB and if so where so I can point them in the right direction.

2. D6975

D6975 Established Member

Oh dear, the Kyle/Mallaig interchangability easement does appear to have vanished, doesn't it.
    It's not alone either, the similar Pembroke Dock/Milford Haven one appears to have gone too.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2015
  3. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

Thats a sad loss if it has, given that the revenue loss would have been tiny as doing these places the responsibilitty on the customer from Malaig to Kyle and there are no railway related product add ons e.g salerail for the Calmac Leg or Plusbus for the trip over sky which unless your clever with planning round the buses may have to be done by bike, hitching or a taxi anyway.

Not aquainted with the Welsh 1 so unable to comment

4. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

Is it something like this you're after?

Attached Files:

5. Hadders

I've already sent them this but I'm looking for something a bit more official rathe than something lifted from an Internet forum. I'm hoping it's in iKB somewhere.

6. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

There is no mention of the easement in the iKB. I don't think it has ever been in there though. Ultimately it was a ScotRail easement and there is no reason why Serco have to honour it. I suspect there may be revenue-sharing issues that didn't matter when it was all one company.

The West Wales easement however is still listed, all tickets from east of Carmarthen are interchangeable between the Pembroke Dock / Milford Haven / Fishguard Harbour branches.

7. kkong

kkong Member

That ScotRail Local Routeing Guide page (but obviously not the hand-written addition) was certainly included in the old paper National Fares Manuals.

8. Hadders

An update.

Caledonian Sleeper claim the Local Easement aren't valid:

Abellio Scotrail take a different view:

I have written back to Caledonian Sleeper asking them to reconsider their response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.