• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SDR Diesel Gala!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Great photos! :D May I use one or two of them for something...? ;)

Coxster

Established Member
The RS-RF locos look smart! Is the DMU a 116, 117 or a mix?

devon_metro

Established Member
Coxster said:
The RS-RF locos look smart! Is the DMU a 116, 117 or a mix?
I think it is a mix!

RS, RF what does that mean?

I'm guessing RF is Railfreight?

Thanks HSTfan and Rich :)

I agree the 33 does look very smart. I just can't wait for the 33 and 50 to be out running! Hopefully i will be volunteering soon :p Is there an age limit?

The Snap

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Is there an age limit?

It will be around 13 or 14. Where you volunteer depends on how much you can do really. I mean, I volunteer for the Diesels at the ELR, and do exactly the same thing as all the other guys there, except drive and second man.

I don't think you can do track work, but you'd have to ask. Your best bet is stations to start with. ;)

Coxster

Established Member
RS-RF is Red Stripe Railfreight. As for volunteering, most things will be for 16> however many railways have youth groups. 'TheSlash' looks after some of us on the EKR and we do all sorts, including supervised p-way.

Edit: On second thoughts it could be a 127.

devon_metro

Established Member
Ok thanks for explaining the livery Damon.

I might do rich, although there is work available in the sheds at Buckfastleigh! Just out of interest, do you get free travel or any rewards apart from having fun ?

Coxster

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
I might do rich, although there is work available in the sheds at Buckfastleigh! Just out of interest, do you get free travel or any rewards apart from having fun ?
Most railways only offer cheaper-rate travel, however it does vary from railway-to-railway so you'd need to check with them.

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
Most railways only offer cheaper-rate travel, however it does vary from railway-to-railway so you'd need to check with them.

I get free travel should I need it when working eg: if I needed to go down to Heywood for some reason, or I wanted to do a trip on the line for an hour while some paint dried (like I did yesterday), then it is free. But, if I go to the railway for leisure purposes, for example with family or on a meet, the n I pay the concessionary rate (or just pretend I'm going to work and pay nothing!)

Simming

Great Gala

Might have even seen you and vica versa. I was on the double tractors and the double Choppers in the evening, reconised by the beer down the front, coutesy of DR DEAAAAAAATTHHHHHH!!!!!! at least I got to return the favour and sloshed a pint in his face!

Coxster

Established Member
Rich said:
I get free travel should I need it when working eg: if I needed to go down to Heywood for some reason, or I wanted to do a trip on the line for an hour while some paint dried (like I did yesterday), then it is free. But, if I go to the railway for leisure purposes, for example with family or on a meet, the n I pay the concessionary rate (or just pretend I'm going to work and pay nothing!)
Obviously they're not going to make you pay to work. That'd be like guards getting penalty fared for not having a valid ticket :rolleyes:

devon_metro

Established Member
Simming said:
Great Gala

Might have even seen you and vica versa. I was on the double tractors and the double Choppers in the evening, reconised by the beer down the front, coutesy of DR DEAAAAAAATTHHHHHH!!!!!! at least I got to return the favour and sloshed a pint in his face!

Yes was fantastic! I was on the 16:51 late choppers from Staveton in the afternoon :p

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
Obviously they're not going to make you pay to work. That'd be like guards getting penalty fared for not having a valid ticket :rolleyes:

He He He, yeah, I guess so! :D :p

Dennis

Established Member
Simming said:
Great Gala

That beer was too good to waste!!! Much better than some of the dregs served up at similar events.

Simming

This is true, some of the beer was nice. Beechcomber was nice, as well as the special brew that was in the DMU.

what I was drinking was bottled stuff anyway, they had run dry in everything else, but it was worth it

Nick

Awesome gala, shame it would of been costly and tken me ages to get there though :(

Dennis

Established Member
The only criticism I would have of the SDR is the number of speed restrictions on the line - good for a little bit of power application ( wouldn't call it thrash), but before any kind of speed is obtained, its on with the brakes again.

The slow running does have the advantage of making lineside photography easier though!

re getting there - I found it was quicker to get a Stagecoach express service from Exeter to Buckfastleigh than it was to wait for a connection from Exeter to Totnes. Having said that, the coach was well shagged, seemingly having very little power to climb the hills out of Exeter (A38 I think) - good for a bit of thrash although the granny tour coaches were passing us with startling ease.

devon_metro

Established Member
Dennis said:
The only criticism I would have of the SDR is the number of speed restrictions on the line - good for a little bit of power application ( wouldn't call it thrash), but before any kind of speed is obtained, its on with the brakes again.

The slow running does have the advantage of making lineside photography easier though!

re getting there - I found it was quicker to get a Stagecoach express service from Exeter to Buckfastleigh than it was to wait for a connection from Exeter to Totnes. Having said that, the coach was well shagged, seemingly having very little power to climb the hills out of Exeter (A38 I think) - good for a bit of thrash although the granny tour coaches were passing us with startling ease.

You are lucky you missed telegraph hill! Tis a killer!

I got some trash and clag on the 10.00 from Totnes 37s

Status
Not open for further replies.