• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[SE] SJ to buy 25 new high speed trains (Contract has been signed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

SJ has, once again, just announced an order for at least 25 new high speed trains, capable of 250 km/h.

Press release: https://nyhetsrum.sj.se/pressreleases/sj-investerar-i-framtidens-snabbtaag-3152045

To meet the increased interest for climate friendly, comfortable and efficient train trips SJ has decided to buy 25 new high speed trains. The trains will be the fastest in Sweden with a top speed of 250 km/h. They will be used for long distance trains between Swedish cities but also for trains to Denmark and Norway.

The new trains have space for bikes, luggage and a fully equipped Bistro with hot food an seating. The trains will also be equipped with batteries to be able to move without overhead power. They are expected to be in service by 2026
(My translation)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Whereas October’s award of a contract for 25 new regional trains to CAF will mostly be able replacing locomotive-hauled trains, this award will be complimentary to the refurbished X2000 and X55 fleet. So it will introduce an interesting cascade of different high-speed trains to different routes.

JonasB

SJ has as far as I know not said anything about where they will be used, and even if they had those plans can change. But there are rumours about them being used on Stockholm-Umeå (which makes sense as Botniabanan is the only longer line that allows 250 km/h today), Stockholm-Copenhagen and Gothenburg-Copenhagen (that in part may be upgraded to 250 km/h). It will be interesting to see where the X2000s and X55 they replace end up but I guess they will replace the loco hauled intercities on the routes to Oslo, Dalarna and Jämtland(-Trondheim) from Stockholm.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I would have thought that the refurbished X2000 would be better suited to Botniaban, since a lot of the non-high-speed line is quite twisty, and better suited for tilt?

JonasB

Lack of ETCS will make the new X2000 not that well suited for Botniabanan. But who know what the future might bring?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not mentioned explicitly in the above is that the order has gone to Alstom.
But previous negotiations were with Bombardier as the only viable supplier, so presumably these new trains will be from that stable.
SJ orders Sweden’s fastest trains | News | Railway Gazette International
The order is the result of SJ’s Project Delta procurement programme launched in 2017, which involved negotiations with potential suppliers rather than an open tender. This led to the selection of Bombardier Transportation Sweden, which was subsequently acquired by Alstom in January 2021. SJ said a full tendering process would cause delays and there was only supplier which could meet its requirements, and so a negotiated procedure without prior call for competition was used.
Confirming the selection of Alstom on December 20, SJ said rail ridership had more than doubled over the past 20 years to reach record levels in 2019, and the drop in passenger traffic during the coronavirus pandemic is expected to be temporary.

JonasB

Is ECTS not part of the upgrade?
AFAIK, no. But preparations will be made for a future upgrade to ETCS. When that happens, we might see X2000s on the Umeå route. I guess it depends on which is the faster option, a train capable of 250 km/h or a train that is faster on the curvier parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.