• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SE Train delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi all
I've appealed their rejection decision but is this sort of thing typical for SE Trains in other people's opinions?

Itinerary:
sat 16th Nov Cannon Street to Lewisham (for onward travel to Sidcup but choose to use TfL service bus for onward travel instead of the rail replacement bus service as their was engineering work - so am only claiming for the train journey Cannon St to Lewisham)

Cannon St Dept: 23.54
Lewisham arrival: 00.35

Circumstances:
On Saturday 16 November 2019 I boarded the 23.54 train at Cannon Street to travel to Lewisham. This train was at the platform but had not departed on time due to the delayed arrival of the driver.

Records of that train show its delayed departure and itinerary
ie:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/J07008/2019-11-16

I waited on board this train for some time for it to depart.

No advice was given to passengers on board to change to another train until after circa 00.05 when a member of platform staff suggested boarding the 00.20 departure from Cannon Street to Lewisham, (in response to another passenger going to train door and calling across to platform staff to find out what was going on) which I did.

This train arrived at Lewisham at: 00.35

I was therefore 25 minutes late at my destination.

Comment
By moving to the 00.20 train (as opposed to waiting for the 23.54 to eventually depart, which I note happened at 00.23) I was only 15+ mins late compared to 30+ mins late, so less Delay Repay (DR) for SET to pay, yet they have still rejected my claim on the basis that "our records show that the journey was delayed by less than 15 minutes".

Clearly it's a modest claim, but SET have stuff all over the place (stations / website etc) claiming how easy it is to claim D-R, yet seemingly don't have a back office ability to assess the claims correctly.

Not made any easier by the D-R claim form having no space to let you add any notes to explain circs around the delay etc.

Nor it seemed any drop downs that only allow you to enter their own stations (so no good if part of a longer journey for example).

Then when you 'appeal' you seem to have to do it via the customer comment form, which in it's pre set options does not give you the option of a 'Delay Repay' appeal - which given that page is linked off the D-R rejection e-mail you might think is a common use of the page...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
Hi all
I've appealed their rejection decision but is this sort of thing typical for SE Trains in other people's opinions?

Itinerary:
sat 16th Nov Cannon Street to Lewisham (for onward travel to Sidcup but choose to use TfL service bus for onward travel instead of the rail replacement bus service as their was engineering work - so am only claiming for the train journey Cannon St to Lewisham)

Cannon St Dept: 23.54
Lewisham arrival: 00.35

Circumstances:
On Saturday 16 November 2019 I boarded the 23.54 train at Cannon Street to travel to Lewisham. This train was at the platform but had not departed on time due to the delayed arrival of the driver.

Records of that train show its delayed departure and itinerary
ie:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/J07008/2019-11-16

I waited on board this train for some time for it to depart.

No advice was given to passengers on board to change to another train until after circa 00.05 when a member of platform staff suggested boarding the 00.20 departure from Cannon Street to Lewisham, (in response to another passenger going to train door and calling across to platform staff to find out what was going on) which I did.

This train arrived at Lewisham at: 00.35

I was therefore 25 minutes late at my destination.

Comment
By moving to the 00.20 train (as opposed to waiting for the 23.54 to eventually depart, which I note happened at 00.23) I was only 15+ mins late compared to 30+ mins late, so less Delay Repay (DR) for SET to pay, yet they have still rejected my claim on the basis that "our records show that the journey was delayed by less than 15 minutes".

Clearly it's a modest claim, but SET have stuff all over the place (stations / website etc) claiming how easy it is to claim D-R, yet seemingly don't have a back office ability to assess the claims correctly.

Not made any easier by the D-R claim form having no space to let you add any notes to explain circs around the delay etc.

Nor it seemed any drop downs that only allow you to enter their own stations (so no good if part of a longer journey for example).

Then when you 'appeal' you seem to have to do it via the customer comment form, which in it's pre set options does not give you the option of a 'Delay Repay' appeal - which given that page is linked off the D-R rejection e-mail you might think is a common use of the page...
To make the case a bit more clear, what type of ticket of you used on this journey?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Appeal processed and D-R now offered. I have to wonder at the inefficiency of a system that seems quick to turn down D-R claims, then has to pay for staff to consider appeals. Given the fare involved was c£2.50 that is not an efficient use of resources in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.