• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Searchlight signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Trying to think how best to explain it! Put simply - it means that rather than having three separate lights on a three-aspect signal, you'd have just the one on a searchlight signal, that's capable of displaying all three colours (red, yellow, green). This used to be achieved mechanically in the older installations by moving a disc with different coloured lenses in front of the light, but newer ones - as with the North Staffs resignalling, I suspect - use LED technology to achieve the same effect.

Note that the searchlights in question also have to have a second light mounted above, in order to display the second yellow required for the YY aspect!

nutter

I know what you mean, and i think you are right. One lens can display Green, yellow and red using LED's and there is a second LED above which can only present Yellow. (I've seen this on another forum).
Thanks.

I've cheered up now, ATW had cancelled a train this morning which really wound me up because I was supposed to spend the day with the TA. BVE and simsig can work wonders sometimes

O L Leigh

Established Member
Perhaps in your neck of the woods...

The recently West Anglia re-signalling saw the introduction of LED ground position light signals, but we got standard 4 aspect signal heads for main aspect signals. Interestingly, these replaced the old style 4 aspect searchlight signals with rotating coloured filters.

one TN

Nick W

Established Member
Tomnick said:
This used to be achieved mechanically in the older installations by moving a disc with different coloured lenses in front of the light, but newer ones - as with the North Staffs resignalling, I suspect - use LED technology to achieve the same effect.

Oh I thought it was still done mechanically as I have seen the ones at colcheter flicker and go via yellow from green to red as if they are still the ones that one TN mentioned were replaced.

Z12XE

Maybe because Colchester want resignalled as part of the WARM? (which is quite understandable.....!)

Colchester-Clacton resignalling is 2007+

andel

I think they have searchlights between Leamington and Banbury too (well, they did yesterday when I went along there)

Status
Not open for further replies.