• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Searle's Valley Lines Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searle

Established Member
Inspired by some other reports, I thought I might as well do my own :P

Ages ago, I bought a couple of cheap advances for Hertford North (my local) to Cardiff Central for Thursday 21st March, as I've never been over to South Wales before. Checking the weather the day before, I wasn't best pleased to find out that there was a huge raincloud covering the whole of South Wales from about midday onwards, but there wasn't much I could do about that!

An early start for me with a 6:30am alarm, leaving the house at 6:55. Grabbed something to eat at Hertford North station (the shop has recently been done up and now sell pastries by Delice de France, which is appreciated by me). Walked up onto Platform 1 to wait for the 07:16 to Moorgate. 313060 + 313063 turned up for a semi fast service, and I got off at Finsbury Park, to quickly run across to 365521 + 365531 + 365513 which were waiting to leave for King's Cross, after being 3 minutes late and allowing me to make a -2 connection. After the short run down to King's Cross, I made my way over to the Circle line platforms. Without thinking, I boarded a Metropolitan line service, and only realised that it doesn't go to Paddington as we pulled into the Metropolitan line platforms at Baker Street, which meant a quick run over to Circle line platforms to get a Circle line train for the rest of the journey to Paddington.

After buying a bit more food from Delice de France (the bacon and cheese croissants are to die for) at Paddington, before boarding the 08:45 to Swansea, run by 43136 + 43071. I was particularly interested in seeing the work at Reading, and the new bridge was looking quite impressive as I waited to depart.

Reading by Mikez2605, on Flickr

We carried on through Reading, Swindon and Bristol, before making our way down towards the Severn Tunnel, which was really fun to watch. We quickly made our way through and emerged on the other side, quickly arriving into Newport, and then Cardiff Central after that, where I alighted. I bought a Valley Lines Day Explorer from the ticket office, which allows unlimited travel on all the Valley lines, including over to Bridgend, up to Maesteg and Ebbw Valley.

I decided to get a bit of Photting done before it started to rain, so I wondered around the station. For if you don't know Cardiff station, it's set out in two halves. Platform 0 is for the new Ebbw Vale services, which is next to Platforms 1 and 2, which are solely for departing FGW and XC services into England, or ATW services up to North Wales/England. On the other side of the station, platforms 3 and 4 are used for Terminating services from England (they then go out of the station and reverse back into Platforms 1 or 2). Finally, Platforms 6 and 7 are used for the Valleys services (I just noticed there's no Platform 5!).

I started off on Platforms 1 and 2 and took some pictures, before moving over to 6 and 7, where I was planning on catching my first Valley service of the day. Rarely for these trips, I hadn't actually set out a schedule for the day, I just knew roughly how long things took. Fortunately, I had noticed that I could do the short branch down to Penarth, then come straight back up, change at Grangetown to do the branch down to Barry Island.

I was planning on getting the 11:46 to Penarth, from Platform 7, but as I was waiting for it, a train to Bargoed pulled into Platform 7 instead, prompting incredibly loud announcements from a garishly sounding man, shouting 'The train on platform 7 is for BARGOED. Do not board the train on platform 6 this is NOT FOR PUBLIC USE', about 5 times, which had me in stitches. This ended up meaning my train to Penarth would be delayed, so I waited another 15 minutes for the next service down there.

Cardiff Central by Mikez2605, on Flickr

Cardiff Central by Mikez2605, on Flickr

My first train of the Valleys was 142083 + 143610 forming the service to Penarth, my first pacer run since last September. I wasn't too bothered about the Pacer though, it was completely empty (I think about three people on the whole service), and it was an incredibly slow service, taking 14 minutes to do 3.5 miles. I then made my way back up to Grangetown on the same units, before joining 150231 for the slightly longer run down to Barry Island. This service again was dreadfully slow, having seven stops in just about as many miles. One person along with me alighted at Barry Island, I rejoined the service for the return service along with someone else, one minute after we pulled in. I bailed at Barry, where I saw that there was a service to Bridgend in 7 minutes time, so I decided to get the track done, before getting the mainline back in to Cardiff.

Barry by Mikez2605, on Flickr

150253 took me to Bridgend, via Rhoose, where I jumped off and ran over to Platform 2, where I was expecting the 13:38 to Cardiff, via Pontyclun. This pulled in, so I jumped onto it, but we were soon met with an announcement that this train couldn't leave due to an 'obstruction on the line' at Llanharan, which later turned out to be a person hit due to a train. Because of this, everyone ran over to Platform 1 to get the 13:52 to Cardiff, which was diverted back via Rhoose, ruining my idea of getting both lines done. What made it worse is that we left 13 minutes after a stopper from Bridgend to Cardiff, meaning we had an unbearably slow entrance into Cardiff. What made it worse is that the service that was indefinitely held in Bridgend arrived 5 minutes before us. We eventually arrived in Cardiff at 14:45, 30 minutes late (that reminds me, I need to see if ATW will do a delay repay).

My train back to London was at 17:55, so I worked out I had 3 hours left to do the Valleys to the north of Cardiff. I caught 142077 up to Coryton, before the return service back down to Queen Street. Taking a few pictures in the fading light there, I was disappointed to see 153353 on the shuttle to Cardiff Bay, but not surprised, as the bubble car seems to always be broken, and is has now been taken permanently off this service, I think. I did the shuttle, before catching 150256 up to Pontypridd, on the 16:10.

Cardiff Queen Street by Mikez2605, on Flickr

The run up to Pontypridd was really enjoyable. We went pretty quickly, and had quite a good view of the valleys we passed through. If I return, I'll definitely make the complete journey up to Merthyr Tydfil or Treherbert. I caught the next service back down to Radyr, which was 143604 + 143607. At this point I decided that I didn't really mind Pacers. They're not the best unit, but their flaws give them a kind of cute personality. Granted, I wouldn't want to spend hours on them, but they're kind of fun in short bursts (please don't hate me for this!).

I alighted at Radyr to do the City line via the best named station ever (Waun-gron station), before finishing back at Cardiff Central at 17:21. I had 30 minutes before my train back, so I hung around the station, watching someone getting shouted at for trying to board a HST as it was moving away, before jumping on board my service back to Paddington on 43194 + 43053, arriving back into Paddington exactly two hours later. I ran across over to McDonalds to grab a meal before the rest of the train arrived (within two minutes of me getting there, the queue was out of the door!). I ate a bit, before running off to the Bakerloo line, changing at Oxford Circus for the Victoria line, up to Finsbury Park. My last train of the day was 20:44 service back to Hertford North, on board 313031 + 313040, getting back in at 21:20, to finish the day.

Thanks for reading (if you did), I might write up about a recent London Travelcard after I upload some pictures, and if people want it. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Great report.

Remember the Valley Lines Day Explorer ticket allows travel on buses too so you can often travel up one valley and get a bus across to the next eg train to Rhymney then get a bus across to Merthyr Tydfill to save the long out and back trips. Some good views to be had from the bus too. The valley lines are often overlooked when discussing scenic rail routes which is a great shame.

Quakers Yard

Great report.

Remember the Valley Lines Day Explorer ticket allows travel on buses too so you can often travel up one valley and get a bus across to the next eg train to Rhymney then get a bus across to Merthyr Tydfill to save the long out and back trips. Some good views to be had from the bus too. The valley lines are often overlooked when discussing scenic rail routes which is a great shame.

I'm going to do this rover soon. Agree with using the bus.
Would go QYD to Merthyr, bus to Rhymney then train to Heath.
Up to Coryton then down the bay.
Then to Penarth up to Grangetown and then to Barry Island for a hour.
Then to Barry then to Bridgend, up to Maesteg and back to Cardiff.
Finally the city line to Treherbert then to Aberdare, back to Abercynon and home.
To do all stations on the map ie Ebbw Vale and Radyr to Queen Street would take about 12 ho
Going to wait for a nice day in August first.

Searle

Established Member
Sounds like a good plan. Waiting for a good day is a good plan too, I had to go then due to my advances, it was a little bit miserable waiting at Grangetown in the rain, where the rain just leaked through the shelter :P

IanD

Established Member
I'm going to do this rover soon. Agree with using the bus.
Would go QYD to Merthyr, bus to Rhymney then train to Heath.
Up to Coryton then down the bay.
Then to Penarth up to Grangetown and then to Barry Island for a hour.
Then to Barry then to Bridgend, up to Maesteg and back to Cardiff.
Finally the city line to Treherbert then to Aberdare, back to Abercynon and home.
To do all stations on the map ie Ebbw Vale and Radyr to Queen Street would take about 12 ho
Going to wait for a nice day in August first.

You can get a ferry across from Cardiff Bay to Penarth and there used to be a "road train" across the barrage too. (Not included in the ticket price though)

swcovas

Great report.

Yes, agree, do make use of the buses. Ebbw Vale also accessible by bus from Merthyr and Rhymney. It's a long way round from Merthyr to Ebbw vale via Cardiff. Also suggest starting off as soon as poss after the 0930 (i think) start time.......it's surprising how much of the system there is!

Established Member
I love the Valleys, being a big fan of 150s and I also like the 142s and 143s. As for the shouting man over the PA, I think I know who you mean. Always shouts 'NOT FOR PUBLIC USE!' whenever a terminating train arrives, even if the automated announcement for it is playing!

One thing I have noticed in that area is there are many 2-3 minute delays, but drivers seem to be very nervous of giving the train too much power, even if running late. Notch 7 is there for a reason you know! :P

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Valleys network has quite a variety of scenery all in all - more variety in 30 miles than many other lines so well worth doing (and a pretty frequent service all round for optimisation of the ticket !) Nice to see it reported on.

anthony263

Established Member
Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself.

I agree with the points made about using thoses buses operated by Stagecoach. service X4 which links Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Rhymney etc to Ebbw Vale has free wi-fi and sockets so you also have an opportunity to charge your phone.

Service 172 linking Bridgend with Aberdare has a lot of stunning scener along its route especially when you go over Maerdy mountain. The new scannia's are great on the route but still have a lot to live up compared to the good old Volvo B10m's which used to work the route.

Its just a shame the Treorchy - Maesteg bus doesnt run any more as you could have used the Valley lines day explorer to get a trip on that

Eire Sprinter

Interesting report & photos.

Is route 172 the one that has a very steep climb at some point on the route?

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Another great report!

I'm doing this at the end of June, and in my case advances are also necessary. It will probably pour down!

I did wonder why there is no railcard discount with this ticket, but I guess the bus thing answers that question!

Anyone think it's valid on FGW? Mine just says "As advertised" and the NRE website fails to illuminate...

Searle

Established Member
Anyone think it's valid on FGW? Mine just says "As advertised" and the NRE website fails to illuminate...

I don't think it is, although it's probably worth an ask of the guard!

Also thanks for the bus advice, I'll keep it in my mind for if I go back :P

Quakers Yard

Definitely no discount with ATW as I`ve asked both TOCs before but you never know!
There is a discount with the HOWL and N Wales circular rangers though!

swcovas

Another great report!

I'm doing this at the end of June, and in my case advances are also necessary. It will probably pour down!

I did wonder why there is no railcard discount with this ticket, but I guess the bus thing answers that question!

I've used it on FGW betweenm Cardiff and B'end and it's never raised an eyebrow when checked!

anthony263

Established Member
A4061 over the Bwlch Nantymoel to Treorchy.

Wrong road service 172 has too very steep climbs. The 1st is over Penrhys Mountain and the 2nd is from Maerdy over the mountain and down the steep hairpin bends to Aberdare which is extremely good fun having driven that route a few times.

I have done the A4061 Bwlch from Nantymoel - Treorchy in a Scannia double decker which was terrifying since the road is narrow and there are some very nasty drops.

Currently no buses run over the Bwlch mountain road apart from the summer only Beacons bus service B3 from Bridgend to Brecon although there used to be a direct bus from Treorchy to Maesteg, Swansea etc which Brewers/First Cymru used Leyland Lynz's on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The valley lines day explorer used to have a railcard discount a few years ago and was valid briefly on the FGW services between Bridgend & Cardiff but that only lasted for a few months before FGW decided to stop accepting it.

Also there is now time restrictions on stagecoach bus services despite what some leaflets say.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The valley lines day explorer used to have a railcard discount a few years ago and was valid briefly on the FGW services between Bridgend & Cardiff but that only lasted for a few months before FGW decided to stop accepting it.

Well all of that is clear, readily available information isn't it!?

quarella

Wrong road service 172 has too very steep climbs. The 1st is over Penrhys Mountain and the 2nd is from Maerdy over the mountain and down the steep hairpin bends to Aberdare which is extremely good fun having driven that route a few times.

I have done the A4061 Bwlch from Nantymoel - Treorchy in a Scannia double decker which was terrifying since the road is narrow and there are some very nasty drops.

I'm sure I came over the Bwlch last time I used it, kept meaning to go again but perhaps it is a few more years ago than I thought it was. Apologies for misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.